Hood Ornaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Ornaments

I was looking on YouTube the other night and I found a video of a '63 Cruiser where the owner had changed the standard Lark Hood Ornament for a Mercedes three point star. Personally, I wouldn't want to do that. But I would consider changing the '63 Lark ornament for the Studebaker 'S" ornament from the 64-66 Larks. As the wife said, "It's more stylish" .
    Would this be a straightforward changeout or are there differences in the fixing holes and baseplate that would make the task difficult?

Ian

I think You'll end up with the rear hole from the original ornament needing too be filled.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Have I got the plan for you!
      I no longer have my Avanti Red (Maroon) '63 Lark Daytona Wagonaire or good front end Pics of it, but what I did was check the fit on the Grille Panel between the Grille and the Hood, and sure enough the Beautiful '64 Ornament fits! Just barely, but looked really GOOD.

I found that if you put a taller ornament on a Lark or Champ hood it just sticks up in the air too far, looks too tall and just does not do it for me.
      I still have the '64 Hood Ornament I put on my Dad's '60 Champ when I was 17 and now I don't like it, and would not do it again for that reason.

I would just put Chrome or Stainless Screws in the Hood until you can weld them up on the next re-paint.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I dunno if I'd put a '64 hood ornament on the nose panel. Those ornaments break easily enough on their own, I wouldn't put it right where you'd lean on it when working under the hood.

To answer the OP's question.. Basically what Joe said. Both the 63 and 64 ornaments have 2 studs that go through the hood. The 63 ornament has the studs a lot father apart than the 64. So if you used the same front hole, you'd have to drill a new rear hole, and fill in the original rear hole.

Comment

I work on my Cars over the Fenders except adding Coolant, never had a problem hitting it.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am not ever going to put the S back on. It will not last a week before someone you can not shoot breaks it off. I have two of the bases and that is what I run for a hood ornament.
            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            63 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            45 Agricat
            67 Triumph T100
            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I thought there would be an issue with the mounting holes on the hood.

Comment

Can you mount the (S) on the 63 base?
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
                  I am not ever going to put the S back on. It will not last a week before someone you can not shoot breaks it off. I have two of the bases and that is what I run for a hood ornament.
                  I like the spring loaded circle S hood ornament for that reason.
                  I sold my last NOS one a long time ago.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I like the spring loaded circle S hood ornament for that reason.
                    I sold my last NOS one a long time ago.
                    Why, oh WHY won't someone like Studebaker International reproduce the spring type? I think they would fly off the shelves. I'd pay more for one than the common type.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If you pay for the TOOLING, I am sure Ed would be glad to do it in a heartbeat!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        If you pay for the TOOLING, I am sure Ed would be glad to do it in a heartbeat!
                        If I'm paying for tooling then Ed is out of the picture.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My 63 Champ has the 64 Lark type hood ornament,I think it looks pretty clean together.wedging it between the grille shell and hood would kinda look after thought,anyways is'nt supposed to be a HOOD ornament
                          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Have I got the plan for you!
                          I no longer have my Avanti Red (Maroon) '63 Lark Daytona Wagonaire or good front end Pics of it, but what I did was check the fit on the Grille Panel between the Grille and the Hood, and sure enough the Beautiful '64 Ornament fits! Just barely, but looked really GOOD.

I found that if you put a taller ornament on a Lark or Champ hood it just sticks up in the air too far, looks too tall and just does not do it for me.
                          I still have the '64 Hood Ornament I put on my Dad's '60 Champ when I was 17 and now I don't like it, and would not do it again for that reason.

I would just put Chrome or Stainless Screws in the Hood until you can weld them up on the next re-paint.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                          X