Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are C/K and 56 Wagon gas tanks interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are C/K and 56 Wagon gas tanks interchangeable?

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone knows fer sher if these two tanks are swappable? I don't need a perfect fit, just need it to work. Thanks
    sals54

Sal, a sedan or coupe tank would be different than a wagon tank due to the spare tire well. However, the tank from a '63 wagon I had fit right on my '56 wagon. I think one of the holes had to be re-drilled, but other than that, fit right on.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

We thought we had a Hawk tank here until we compared the Mounting holes, they did not match to a Wagon tank, and I am not sure but I think the filler pipe was off a bit also, they sure look alike at first glance, but are not. That could work for you with some creative brackets to mount it.

The C & K tank and the wagon tank both fit to a lay down spare tire, the Sedan is the narrower & deeper tank for the stand up spare that will not work.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-03-2015, 11:07 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A '63 stationwagon tank however will bolt right up (two of the three holes) and the filler will also line right up. I wouldn't know about any other year though. Still, the '64-66 wagons are almost identical underneath, so would also likely work.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

the sending unit is located differently so your acces hole in the trunk floor does not match. cheers jimmijim
          Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          A '63 stationwagon tank however will bolt right up (two of the three holes) and the filler will also line right up. I wouldn't know about any other year though. Still, the '64-66 wagons are almost identical underneath, so would also likely work.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the imput. I just happened to have 2 spare C/K tanks and thought I might be able to save the trouble of refurbishing the Wagons tank. Looks like its rebuild time. Thanks again.
            sals54

Comment

Fuel cells are getting cheeper or you could weld up a tank out of steel plate.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

The station wagon tank 56/57 D-P is a little shorter and a C?K tank will not fit.
                Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                X