No announcement yet.

What part of the heater is at the back / inside of fender ? 55 2 door president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of the heater is at the back / inside of fender ? 55 2 door president

Just curious , what is that, on the inside of fender , is that hard to remove? Not gonna touch it , but who would think they would build and put something there. My car has two heaters , One the climatizer, and then box under the glove compartment area , . Mike

That is the Climatizer System under the floor, Heater Core induction FAN to pull air from the should be open, right fender Air Vent Door and push it to the under the Seat Heater Core.
    Three Bolts and Nuts on the Inner Fender under the hood secure it, plus the 4 Inch Duct Hose Clamp.

There is supposed to be also be a Defroster Fan with a water heated Coil on the right Firewall closer to the center.

An aftermarket recirculating Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, Pep Boys, or J.C. Whitney "Box" Heater must have been added to your Car for Alaska use!

A good condition 5 Ft. Heater Duct Hose from the fender vent & Fan to the Heater core is very necessary to keep Oil vapor, exhaust, dirt etc. out of the system and the Car and get the Heat.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude Rich , you funny guy , Alaska , Ha,Ha,Ha

Comment

So the climatizer isn't hook up ,because the heater hoses are cut , at the body mount ,inside the engine compartment . Also that big hose inside the fender was ripped down ,when I first bought the car ,and was having it service. I wonder should I go to my local welder and see if I can have a decrative door made for the heater under the glove compartment, It has two out of three narrow doors for the heater.

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
          Just curious , what is that, on the inside of fender , is that hard to remove? Not gonna touch it , but who would think they would build and put something there. My car has two heaters , One the climatizer, and then box under the glove compartment area , . Mike
          Your car probably does not have "two heaters". It probably has a Climatizer system that consists of the underseat heater that gets fresh air from the "door" in the front fender and a defroster unit (for the windsheld) that is under the dash, near the glovebox.

EDIT: From your new post, made when I made mine, it sounds like an additional aftermarket heater, without a fresh air feature, was added under the dashboard. Maybe the original heater leaked and rather than repair it, it was just disconnected and this additional heater was installed.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So are you telling me that fender door doesn't bring air into the passenger compartment in the summer time. Whats happening with that big hose thats missing ,its not bringing fresh air in ?

Comment

here's a "not great" pic of the climatizer fan/hoses on my '51. (before i started the engine bay refresh).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1696134
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Since a "Box Heater" is recirculating and not Fresh Air Forced, I would go the other way, replace all the Studebaker Heater hoses, hose adapter to the Defroster and other deteriorated parts and remove the "box heater".

Actually not a bad picture Kerry, only the '51 is like Night and Day different than the OP's '55 Setup.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The heater under the dash works , cause when I was driving it , it was hot in the summer time . So I turned that cable connection to the heater ,and stopped the heat from coming in. The cable pull ,is too stiff , I have to regrease or oil that cable .

Comment

So are you telling me that fender door doesn't bring air into the passenger compartment in the summer time. Whats happening with that big hose thats missing ,its not bringing fresh air in ?
                    You have to open the INSIDE Door for Summer and turn OFF the Hot water with the "Temp." Control to the Heater Ranco Valve.

The inside door is not opened for Winter, you would be surprised how many New Car owners did not know these two tidbits I have shared, not all Dealers would explain "things"!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks Rich, i wasn't sure if it was close to a '55 - i was kinda going from your post:
                      "A good condition 5 Ft. Heater Duct Hose from the fender vent & Fan to the Heater core is very necessary to keep Oil vapor, exhaust, dirt etc. out of the system and the Car and get the Heat."

just tryin' to help.

BTW: other than using the defroster when i got caught in a rainstorm last week, i've only had my climatizer on a couple times this winter - just to circulate the coolant after getting to operating temp...

Comment

Kerry, the major difference I noticed right away is that it appears that '47-'52's had that 4 Inch duct Hose going to the inner Fender mounted Heater Fan, whereas the '53-'62 C & K and '53 to early '57 Sedan/Wagons come from the "inside the Fender" Fan like the OP's does. Quite different actually.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes it is Rich. Thanks again.

Comment

Hope this picture shows up! So this is what is under the dashboard . Is this original to the car ? Is it a add -on ? Glad I finally posted this heater box!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Is it a add -on ? Glad I finally posted this heater box!
                              Yep, like Gary stated above in his revised post. Its definitely aftermarket; not a 'Ha-Dez' heater as used in Scotsmans and some RHD vehicles.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X