rear mount T10 transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: rear mount T10 transmission

I have a T10 4-speed transmission, originally from a '62 Hawk. I also have the bell housing. I don't have the Hawk- I bought these items from a shop that used to do Stude work. It looks like you can bolt a mount under the tail of the transmission, or you can bolt one on the bottom of the bell housing. Which did Studebaker do?

Stude Int. sells the mount, but they won't tell me how it bolts. They claim they don't know. I think they do know, but I'm guessing their policy is to give NO ADVISE over the phone. Either that, or they're just incredibly ignorant about their products.

And if you must know, I'm thinking of putting this tranny into a Champ truck. Hence the need to know about how to mount the tranny

The T10 in my 1963 Avanti has no rear mount; the rear engine mount that supports the entire assembly is on the bell housing. Unless I'm incredibly ignorant about other T10 transmissions, they mount the same in the '62 Hawk. You might try working from first principles by measuring the distance between the front engine mounts and the crossmember in the Champ truck where your T10 MIGHT mount. If the cross member is close to where the rear of the T10 would live in the truck, then a rear mount on the transmission makes sense. However, if the bell housing is close to a forward cross member, then a bell-housing mount make sense. It would be incredibly ignorant to proceed with the installation unless you have actually measured the engine/transmission assembly overall and mounting dimensions and the locations of the cross members in the truck. Good luck.

Comment

HB; You have a problem. The Hawk passenger car housing has the mount on the bottom of the bell housing. The Champ truck has the mounts on the side of the bell housing. You can go about it one of 2 ways. Neither one involves stock parts. You can make your own trans cross member or you can build your own car to truck mounts. I have done it both ways. Which ever you decide to do you can always drop back and ask for more info on what you decide on.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        You can make your own trans cross member or you can build your own car to truck mounts. .
        I would personally NOT mount off the front of the engine like Studebaker did, with the rear mount off the transmission. Too big of a span between the mounts. You MAY get away with it, but you may not. SBCs mounted mid engine and off the trans. That works fine, but there is no way to do that with a Stude.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

"Stude Int. sells the mount, but they won't tell me how it bolts. They claim they don't know. I think they do know, but I'm guessing their policy is to give NO ADVISE over the phone. Either that, or they're just incredibly ignorant about their products."

Please don't jump to conclusions. They sell thousands of different part numbers. Not everyone on the phones has worked on all the cars involving all the parts they sell. Some may not work on cars at all.
          "How does this trim piece attach to my '52 dashboard?"
          "Is this bolt the correct one for my brakes that I have converted to power brakes from manual?"
          "Will this(fill in the blank) fit my truck if I use the drivetrain from(fill in the blank)?"

They can't know them all.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Your new here so slow down and watch what you say and you will get a ton of help, since the trucks did not come with a T-10 my guess you will need to make your own cross member support, good luck with your project.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I should have mentioned in my initial post- I fully expect to fabricate a custom cross member for the Champ frame. I know that the trucks had their own bell-housing with the two mounts. But none of the those truck bell-housings come close to matching the bolt pattern for my T-10 (GM bolt pattern).

I think it's pretty well settled that I should go with the mount under the bell-housing, and I'm going to gamble that that's the one that Stude Intl sells, even though they won't tell me

Comment

Buy the appropriate parts and shop manuals... they will show and tell you everything you need to know about your situation. Btw, if SI (or any other vendor) spent their time answering "how to" and similar questions over the phone from "prospective/maybe" buyers they'd not have time to package and ship the parts that they actually sell. So, may I respectfully ask to cut 'em some slack, please.

Comment

HB; You didn't tell us as to what engine or tranny you had in your Champ. You may have the bell housing and motor mounts in hand that you need for your conversion. I have done this swap a number of times over the last 55 years and am more than happy to help you in any way I can.

Comment

What Alan said. The truck V8 with the T85 3 speed would give you the bellhousing that would work with the T10.

Comment

I think he has the T-10 with the GM pattern so I don't think that any bell housing except the one used in the 61 and 62 cars are going to work , so find that bell housing and your good to go, new cross member and drive shaft along with the 4 speed motor mount that SI sells.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

This is a truck bell housing modified to fit GM pattern.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                        X