1937 4 door sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 4 door sedan

I have been looking at a 1937 4 door sedan. I noticed there is a difference in the trunk area design. Most seem to have a hump in the area of the trunk lid. The one I am looking at doesn't have a hump. It is nice and smooth from the rear window down to the rear bumper area! Is that a model difference or what? Thanks.
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

My 1937 Dictator 4 door sedan has the hump.

Comment

They came either way. The 4-door sedan with trunk would be called a Cruising Sedan and assuming no side mounts it would be have a body symbol starting with 37A W3. The body like the one you are looking at would be called a Custom Sedan and have a body symbol of 37A W1 (again assuming no side mount), see photo below for the 2-door version called the St Regis Brougham. Note also that the '37 Dictator could be ordered with the straight axle (5A) or with planar suspension (6A). The Cruising Sedan with trunk out sold the Custom Sedan by a 10 - 1 margin. Therefore the car you mention is much more scarce though not necessarily more valuable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37 lane tech drive training.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1696111
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I learned to drive in a 1937 Ford and it had the flatten trunk lid like the Studebaker your looking at.
        The Fords also offered the hump design trunk area. We referred the non-hump trunk lid models as "slant backs" and with the hump "hump backs". I guess with the hump design you would have increased trunk capacity.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
        X