Floyd Clymer Automotive Books and Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Clymer Automotive Books and Studebakers

Some of my first automotive books were those written by Floyd Clymer. In the mid 70's I wrote to the Clymer publications to order this 1949 book as well as the one written for 1950. I was surprised to be able to still buy them from Clymer for the old cover price of $2 each. I really enjoy the books because at a glance you can find all the specs and pictures for all the different American makes and models of cars for each of those years.

Has anyone lately tried to buy books from Clymer, and what is the price? Thanks, Tom

Here is one now on ebay, and I'd buy it if I didn't already own one.

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    Some of my first automotive books were those written by Floyd Clymer. In the mid 70's I wrote to the Clymer publications to order this 1949 book as well as the one written for 1950. I was surprised to be able to still buy them from Clymer for the old cover price of $2 each. I really enjoy the books because at a glance you can find all the specs and pictures for all the different American makes and models of cars for each of those years.

Has anyone lately tried to buy books from Clymer, and what is the price? Thanks, Tom

Here is one now on ebay, and I'd buy it if I didn't already own one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291147196799...ht_4281wt_1238
    This company owns the rights to pre-1970 books.

Comment

Notice that Kurtis and Packard are on the cover, but not Studebaker (for 1949).

The vendor is a well known major automotive literature vendor.

I have Floyd Clymer books, but not of that series.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Clymer also published the magazine "Automobile Topics" which was more of a trade magazine than for enthusiasts. The July, 1952 issue was dedicated to the Studebaker Centennial. There was a main article about 20 pages long and then a shorter writeup on Clymer's association with Studebaker. He had been a car dealer since the age of 11, but didn't start selling Studebaker Flanders until he was 14. It makes for interesting reading.
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

I have this one. It is fabulous. Floyd buys a new Stude in Santa monica and drives it across country, reporting on it, his experiences, and the people he meets. America's first automotive journalist and test driver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1696106 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1696107 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1696108

It is also available in a hard cover. Filled with data, mileage, surveys, etc.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I have this book which I paid way way too much for on 2nd chance ebay. But it was very good and good reading and told you what was good and bad. 85% was positive.

Comment

Working...
            X