Paul Hoffman papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Hoffman papers

For those interested in the history of Studebaker from primary sources I refer you to the Truman Presidential Library, which has a significant collection of papers from Paul Hoffman, one-time president of Studebaker. While the content is not online, this link will show the contents of the boxes in some detail. The SNM is not the only place to look for interesting things.

Administrator, Economic Cooperation Administration, 1948-1950 See also Paul G. Hoffman oral history. [Administrative Information | Folder Title List]

If you do "find" from your browser and search for Studebaker, you will find the things I am talking about. If you happen to live in the vicinity of the library, which is in Independence, MO, you should be able to arrange to see some of this in person. In any event the list will hopefully lead to some more research that could answer or clarify some historical questions, including the Packard-Studebaker merger.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Hoffman for President 1952? Now THAT"S interesting!

There really is some very good "Stuff" in there.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Been there and looked at the papers. Relatively little on Studebaker, however what is there I found interesting. I did have them make some copies.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Been there and looked at the papers. Relatively little on Studebaker, however what is there I found interesting. I did have them make some copies.
        I was surprised that you'd been there and done that, but I don't know why. I should have known better.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Box 28 - Harpo Marx
          Yeah, now it gets interesting.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

What is very interesting I think is that Paul G. Hoffman was a life long Republican and a close personal friend and confidant of Dwight D. Eisenhower, yet his "papers" end up in the Truman library! The most logical explanation for this is that it was Truman who appointed Hoffman to to administer the Marshall Plan in 1948 and most of the "papers" deal with that topic.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
            X