PDA

View Full Version : It's Hell getting old!

whitehawk759
03-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Well, I spent the day working on the Hawk. I don't get things done as fast anymore since my stroke. I get a bit sore in my back after three back surgeries, the last being a fusion, but you know any day working on a Studebaker is a GOOD one. I do LOVE driving the Hawk.

studegary
03-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Getting old is not for sissies! Also, getting old beats the hell out of the alternative!

JoeHall
03-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Well, I spent the day working on the Hawk. I don't get things done as fast anymore since my stroke. I get a bit sore in my back after three back surgeries, the last being a fusion, but you know any day working on a Studebaker is a GOOD one. I do LOVE driving the Hawk.

My hat is off to you. Hope you keep on wrenchin and drivin :)

BobPalma
03-28-2015, 08:43 PM

:!: There you have it, Don. Cool beans. :) :cool: BP

alaipairod
03-28-2015, 09:21 PM
The day I start "getting old" will be the morning I wake up.....Think about my Studebakers, and I don't feel that "THRILL UP MY LEG"

aarrggh
03-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Ya gotta get one of these for your garage . Just made this today . Seat is from a boat that sank and it is comfy ....
And i did putz around with the car also .......

http://i62.tinypic.com/wvcoqf.jpg

whitehawk759
03-29-2015, 01:35 AM
Well, I have a roll around chair but it certainly is not as fancy as yours. i will have to look into getting one like it.
Looks good for a nap as well. :-)

57pack
03-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Spent a while on my back yesterday replacing a dash mounted radio speaker.
Some how working under the dash isn't as easy as it used to be!
Today I'm feeling it.:(

JoeHall
03-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Spent a while on my back yesterday replacing a dash mounted radio speaker.
Some how working under the dash isn't as easy as it used to be!
Today I'm feeling it.:(

Underdash work is one of my most dreaded tasks. I have always hated it, and as you say, it isn't getting any easier.

brokencookie
03-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Getting old is the ultimate adventure sport. It's full of falls, broken bones and drugs !!!

Swifster
03-29-2015, 09:46 AM
I had my stroke 3 years ago at 48. Any day I wake up to is a good one. And as it's been pointed out, it sure beats the alternative. My mind might be slightly slower, but it's given me more incentive to get my Studes done. Parts and parts and parts...

Glad you're still with us Don.

DEEPNHOCK
03-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Congrats on your efforts!
I know I live in fear of losing a capacity...
A stroke is insidious. It robs you of function.

Buzzard
03-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Cool attitude Don. I wish you all the best doing what you love.
Bill

wlfrench
03-29-2015, 10:13 AM
My father always told me "Don't get old" but I didn't listen. :)

swvalcon
03-29-2015, 10:58 AM
WlFrench My dad told me life is like a snowball going down hill and as I get older I can see what he meant. The years just seem to go faster and faster.

Avantict
03-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Getting older is not for the faint of heart

sasquatch
03-29-2015, 12:18 PM
Getting under the dash isn't near as hard as getting out from under it!

jeds55
03-29-2015, 12:24 PM
My mother always questioned why these are called "The Golden Years"....

Nox
03-29-2015, 04:06 PM
For working under the dash, being the softy I truly am I usually take a low box & a pillow on the floor in front of the cars seat & then put my legs over the backrest, but yeah: getting out is worse...
Still: driving like that is way harder! :)

Ron Dame
03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
My mother always questioned why these are called "The Golden Years"....
I think it has something to do with incontinence...

55 56 PREZ 4D
03-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Getting old isn't the problem.
Getting old is a day by day thing.
Being old is a total pain in the ass.
And it aint for sissies.
I'm 64.
But since a back operation to take care of a numb left leg.
Sciatica [because of the operation] in my right leg makes my right leg feel 85 yrs old. Sucks big time. And the left leg is STILL numb.
And they want to operate AGAIN. Scares me silly.
But I got a great bunch of kids and grandkids, so life is GOOD.
Oh yeah, I've got a couple really cool Studes too.

candbstudebakers
03-30-2015, 01:12 AM
For working under the dash, being the softy I truly am I usually take a low box & a pillow on the floor in front of the cars seat & then put my legs over the backrest, but yeah: getting out is worse...

As you get older the only way to work under the dash is to remove the seats and put down a moving pad but if you use a pillow you might fall a sleep, I do.

TWChamp
03-30-2015, 06:05 AM
It must have been an old guy that designed the instrument panels for the late 40's through early 50's pickups. That is such a slick setup to work on the dash from under the hood while standing upright. Another benefit is is you have a wiring problem, the fire is under the hood rather than in the cab.

Skybolt
03-30-2015, 07:53 AM
Working under the dash is a matter of getting in shape and then in the right position but I find I take on that shape after I get out and walk around. "S" is a shape, isn't it?

If it's a long job or you have an assistant then taking out the front seat is usually 8 bolts and makes for a nice flatish surface. Maybe too flat and comfy as I know after a while I could find myself asleep. I have done that before under the car. Some of the best sleeps though, unless it's a truck, the fetal position is for kids.

Len

karterfred88
03-30-2015, 12:54 PM
I've tried that, always wake up wondering why I was sleeping in the car!!!

studegary
03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
It must have been an old guy that designed the instrument panels for the late 40's through early 50's pickups. That is such a slick setup to work on the dash from under the hood while standing upright. Another benefit is is you have a wiring problem, the fire is under the hood rather than in the cab.

No, the design was by a young guy. The idea was to cut down on service time (most pickups were in commercial use at that time).