Lowest mileage 1947 Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest mileage 1947 Champion?

This eBay ad is for a 1947 Champion 2-door sedan with 8947 supposedly documented original miles. If true, it probably is the lowest mileage 1947 Champion out there. Not that low mileage equates to pristine, or even good, condition, in this case. It definitely got wet and stayed wet for a long period of time sometime between 1947 and 2015.

John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

The picture of the bumper jack in this car is an interesting detail, especially if its stock. It mounts differently than the jack on my 1950, which fits in brackets alongside the spare tire. What is that plate for? Surely it isn't the baseplate?
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
      The picture of the bumper jack in this car is an interesting detail, especially if its stock. It mounts differently than the jack on my 1950, which fits in brackets alongside the spare tire. What is that plate for? Surely it isn't the baseplate?
      Well...I have a 48 Business Coupe. I have read, somewhere, that few changes were made from 47 to 48, mostly cosmetic. That is a base plate for the jack. Some of the items in the trunk are out of place. The jack is in the correct place. Apparently, in this car, there is something like a tool compartment with a metal cover. The metal cover is being held next to the jack with that stock "art deco" style wing nut that usually holds the jack in place. That painted (now rusting) hubcap on the spare looks like one of the plain painted caps offered for spares, gives a little credibility to the cars originality. Many of those got tossed.

If the car has only 8,947 documented miles...it proves that "years" can be just as hard on a vehicle as "miles." Probably worse. Still, this could be a fun car for someone who enjoys the challenge of a project.

I had to come back to add this edit to my post. After further study of the ebay ad...pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical about the so called documented mileage. We know how easy it is to unscrew the back of a speedometer connection. Also, unless this car was used as an owner's "goat barn," I don't think the interior could fall apart this severe with so little use. When I acquired my Business Coupe, the odometer was registering 67,000 miles in 1987 and in use. Its interior didn't look as bad as this car. Another tell-tell sign that someone has been, at least, tinkering with this one, is the brand new shiny washer in the fender bolt just above the jack inside the trunk.

In spite of all this, the car looks to be all there, but looking at the pics, no matter what documentation exists, I suspect the odometer has turned over once. Or, someone conveniently slipped the cable out of the speedometer for a long time.
      Last edited by jclary; 03-24-2015, 07:54 PM.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Did plug wires have rubber boots in 47?

Comment

Too bad it wasn't stored in Nevada, Cal. or AZ instead of one of the rust belt/high humidity states. It would've been in much better condition. The front seat looks like the seat spring pressure is ripping the rotted upholstery.

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
            Did plug wires have rubber boots in 47?
            No, Paul; they did not.

Further, engines weren't that color green in 1947. There are 'way too many doubtfuls for the mileage claimed to be accurate without serious documentation, especially since the license plate is 1963...even that is 16 years after the car was built.

Never say never, but.... BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep, that odometer has to have turned over. That car has too many dents and too much wear to be under 10K miles. The newer plug wires are another sign of high miles.

That has to be the dumbest place I've ever seen for a rear view mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                Yep, that odometer has to have turned over. That car has too many dents and too much wear to be under 10K miles. The newer plug wires are another sign of high miles.
                This morning (while I'm slightly more alert than when I last posted) I took another look at the ad. Those screw clamps on the upper radiator hose, the missing fuel pump heat shield, and the oil leak drip cup under the oil pump...give added cause for skepticism.

As for the dents. Back in 1965, I knew of two bootlegging brothers who bought one of those 1965 Plymouth Fury Hardtops with the big V8 and four-speed transmission.

They put more dents, than this one has, on that Fury on the way home from the dealership.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The jack is original and it is inserted into holes in the numbers. My 47 does not have that special tool compartment which i bet was added after it left the factory. The steering wheel condition says it could be lower miles but as others said it is hard to believe the orig miles
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                  X