PDA

View Full Version : Just Picked up a 1937 Studebaker Dictator Coupe

mtnmanbf
03-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi Gang!
Just got back from a road trip from Frazier Park Ca To Hauser Lake Id & Back! Picked up a 1937 Studebaker Dictator Coupe From a Second owner who bought it for $5.00 when he was 14 Years Old & Now 62 & yes he made a few $$$! Question this car has only one tail light was that common? I need a Passenger side complete taillight & Bracket Also need outside mirrors & a new Starter cable that is just like a choke cable but for starter! Does anybody have any xtra parts they are not using?
Or maybe know where I can find them? If so please let me know & Tks! Bill Fowler / Solo Speed Shop (818) 517-3907

BrianC
03-23-2015, 04:08 PM
The holy Grail of Studes, beautifull!

Stu Chapman
03-23-2015, 04:14 PM
This is a real find. What can you tell this member about his new car?

Stu Chapman

Corvanti
03-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Very nice!:!::cool::!!:

the second tail light was usually optional on most models "back then". check out our vendors here:
http://www.studebakervendors.com/

also, you might check with the Antique Studebaker, E & R here: http://forums.aaca.org/f126/

garyash
03-23-2015, 04:52 PM
The parts catalog says you need a starter pull cable 39-1/2 inches long. If you are not too picky about the knob style, you could use almost anything.

Here's a photo of a freshly-rebuilt Autolite MAX-4019 starter as used in some 1937 Dictators. The cable pulls up on the switch lever to close the high-current contact. In a pinch, you could just bypass the mechanical switch and install a solenoid switch and push button, as they finally did in 1938.

jclary
03-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Well...YOU OLD FART (sarcastic envious term of endearment:))...you come here and post "just picked up a 1937 coupe"...these days, nobody "JUST" picks up a 1937 Coupe!:ohmy:

That's been one of my dreams for over 40 years.:( But, now that it's yours...best wishes with it.:cheers:

As you progress with it, post pictures. As far as having only one tail light, it was common during that era and years thereafter.

My 1955 Truck came with only one tail light and no turn signals. It now has both.:)

TWChamp
03-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Don't worry about the right taillight. What you really need is two more doors, and I have a 1937 Dictator 4 door I could trade you.:!!:

raprice
03-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Well...YOU OLD FART (sarcastic envious term of endearment:))...you come here and post "just picked up a 1937 coupe"...these days, nobody "JUST" picks up a 1937 Coupe!:ohmy:

That's been one of my dreams for over 40 years.:( But, now that it's yours...best wishes with it.:cheers:

As you progress with it, post pictures. As far as having only one tail light, it was common during that era and years thereafter.

My 1955 Truck came with only one tail light and no turn signals. It now has both.:)
Many cars of that era had only one tail light. My '30 Model A Ford was delivered originally with only the left tail light. I bought another Model A tail light and installed it on the correct place on the right rear fender. I then added turn signals for safety sake.
Rog

mtnmanbf
03-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Hey Guys! Tks for the replys! I figured Cheap model as only one Visor also! So I guess only one tail light! Starter Cable I think Switch would be CQQL! Okay Mirror Outside! Anybody got a xtra??? Tks Bill

truckguy
03-23-2015, 06:07 PM
That is a very fine car you bought. Please post pictures of it in the future.

dean pearson
03-23-2015, 06:49 PM
It's one thing to be strong but something totally different to brag about it.

Dean.

PS, stop picking up cars for going to hurt yourself.

Andy R.
03-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Beautiful.
Unless you really need it or you're OCD about symmetry, the single taillight leaves at least one side perfectly sleek and another topic of conversation with admirers of your car.

DEEPNHOCK
03-24-2015, 10:24 AM
FYI...
The LHS tail light is stock, with the license bracket and lens.
The RHS light would be an export item (without the licence bracket and lens provision)
The stands for the lights have a slight difference (LHS and RHS)
So, and export to Australia, England, Britian, and even Sweden (at that time) would have had the license light setup on the RHS.
The lights are a tad pricey, as they are hard to find (in good shape).
The lens ring gets knarly. Suprisingly, there are quite a few glass lenses out there...
Last pair of real nice ones I saw went for $400 for the pair.
If you are looking for a light, or lights, look also for the Dodge rear lights of that vintage.
The vendor Stude used also sold to the Dodge brothers...
HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

mtnmanbf
03-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks Jeff! Bill

tomlewis
03-24-2015, 12:01 PM
All the taillight bodies that I have seen for the right rear fender still have the clear lens in the top, although the threaded holes for the license plate bracket are absent. I have one on my Coupe-Express (I know, I know, it's not correct) and one on my coupe. They are out there at swap meets and occasionally on e-Bay.

While overall the '36's and '37's look alike, the '37's have the bezel attached with a screw so the bezel is easy to remove. I once bought a '36 at a swap meet and I don't think I have yet figured out how to get the bezel off.

The stands do indeed have a slight difference left to right, the numbers are usually visible on the inside at the back end (back where the stand is usually cracked). Once I get to my parts book I could post the part numbers if you are interested. Tom

mtnmanbf
03-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Yes! Thanks Tom!

DEEPNHOCK
03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Tom.
I did that from memory, and wayward light purchases in the past...

rockne10
03-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Many, perhaps most, cars of the era also came without outside rear view mirrors. Most that you see are clamped to the edge of the door. Many like this are readily available new.

5brown1
03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
I believe that President coupes and probably sedans had two tail lights. At least all I've seen have two. Shrock Bros. reproduces the lens. 36-7 Dodge/Plymouth bezels will work I believe. I had one that did and another which did not.

Buzzard
03-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Stunningly gorgeous you very lucky dog.
Bill

mtnmanbf
03-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Hey Guys Tks For the Replies!
Just got the Insurance card in & Put it in Glove box well through Glove box Door & it fell on floor! Does anyone repop Glove boxes for a 37?? Tks in advance! Bill

tomlewis
03-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Hi Bill. Studebaker part number for the left rear fender taillight stand is 263359P and the right stand is 263358P. Tom

mtnmanbf
03-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks Tom!

5brown1
03-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Ernie Loga makes glove boxes. 715-832-7302 He has an ad in the business card section toward the back of Turning Wheels.

mtnmanbf
03-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Tks 5 Brown 1 I'm on it! Pulled the carb & having it rebuilt! Pulled the starter pull cable soaked it got it out greased & it works great! Problem with peep mirrors are both doors very tight on hinge side & no room for peep! Has anyone tried the hinge mount mirrors? Tks again for all the replies! Bill

DEEPNHOCK
03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
<snip>
Problem with peep mirrors are both doors very tight on hinge side & no room for peep! Has anyone tried the hinge mount mirrors? Tks again for all the replies! Bill

The issue with mirrors it the body is kind of wedge shaped (at least to the rear of the front doors.
Mirrors have to hang out quite far to get a straight line look backwards.
With peep mirrors all you can see is the window channel behind you.

Stude used longer hinge mounted mirrors on the CE's.
Kind of an angular look....
I fell for the street rod 'swan' style mirrors. But even they could be longer.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937%20Studebaker%20Coupe%20Express/BlueAngelsMCASBeaufortShowApril2007.jpg

Still hard to see out of the rear view mirrors...
And the coupe has a huge blind spot.....

mtnmanbf
03-25-2015, 02:02 PM
TKS JEFF! Yeah I ran these on my Willys & never could see out of them! A 3 Window coupe is just hard to see out of! Tks! Bill