Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Seals

While I am not knocking the Studebaker Venders, but I bought two oil seals and was charged $41.09.
    I used the wrong tool to install the first one and got it 'cocked' in the bore. I removed it and of course toasted it doing so!

I made a tip to Motion Ind. and they matched it up with another one. (same brand) the cost per seal was $3.50. But it wont be here for three days. When I get it I will post the partn number and mabe save someone a little cash. I should have check with them first. This mark up is extremely high.

Motion WHO? Is that Motion Industrial maybe?
    Would this be a Bearing & Seal Store like Industrial Technology or Bearings Inc. ?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Motion WHO? Is that Motion Industrial maybe?
      Would this be a Bearing & Seal Store like Industrial Technology or Bearings Inc. ?
      Yes, Motion industries. A large bearing, seal, etc distributor.

Leroy, I agree with you that it's always reasonable to check several suppliers. While I don't mind paying a small amount extra to get items from our Studebaker Vendors, the difference you note does not seem reasonable.

What is this seal's application?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

These seal are for the rear axle. Inner seal.

Another note: The rear axle bearings need to be packed with grease. I under stand this needs to be done every 25,000 miles. This requires two pullers to get the axle out. Mine had 62,500 miles and there was still grease in them and didn't need to be replaced.

Comment

Leroy... You did not state what year Stude you have BUT did you check to see if it had zerck plugs. I did a write up here probably two deckades ago about how easy it is to drill and tap in zerc fittings. I do not swage my drums back on. I mark the placement with a punch. Every 10k I just jack up the car and pull the drums off then repack my bearings with a grease gun.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

The 1947 to 1956 factory plugged hole behind the Axle flange, only required installing a Zerk fitting, only if you never installed one, no need to disassemble anything.

It was too easy to overgrease or grease too often, since in the Day Service Stations (remember those?) did the work not caring, knowing, owners so the hole was removed.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a 1962 hawk. It has the twin traction axle. There is no hole to install a grease fitting. The axle tube has been bead blasted and nothing shown. I looked at the posibility of installing a fitting but this would be imposible since I would have to drill into the otter bearing race.

And I believed you!

Comment

I put a Dana 44 posi in the 54 and gave it zercs but I did not swage on the drums. It is easy to do and no you do not have to driil into the bearing seat area because the inner seals are at one end and the outer seals at the other so you can drill on the bell in between on the top and if you di it right all the metal fileings come out instead of going in. I still put a big magnet next to the place wher I was drilling the holes just to be double safe.
                If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                63 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                45 Agricat
                67 Triumph T100
                66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I have been fortunate enough in my lifetime to have owned what I think are some of the best-looking production cars ever--'37 President coupe, '37 Coupe-express, '63 Avanti, '66 Jaguar E-type roadster (all still currently owned) and a couple of '36 and'37 Cords. The specialty supplier list for Cord parts is much shorter than the list of specialty Studebaker parts suppliers.

I once ordered a pair of front wheel seals for my '36 Cord from the largest and best known Cord parts house. They cost $25 or $26 apiece. They came in and I tried to install the first one and it was obviously incorrect and I damaged it in the attempt. I called them to complain and they said "Oh, yeah, we know those are bad, so send them back and we'll refund your money" I sent both back, but the vendor only refunded the price of one of them. I called to question that and they said, "Well, you damaged one of them." My reaction to that was, "You knew they were bad, and you wanted me to send them back and now you won't refund my money because you obviously want to try to sell them to the next unsuspecting Cord owner who needs new seals"

They had no reply to that and I never bought another part from them and sold the car. My experience with Studebaker suppliers has been much more positive. Tom

Comment

The issue of greasing (over greasing) the rear axle bearings I haven't heard mention that there is also a vent hole. When the cavity is full, the grease will appear out the small hole. However if the small hole is plugged, well that is a different story. I have a 54 and the threaded fittings were not plugged just covered with a spring type clip, however caked solid with debris almost non-visible. I have since installed the grease nipples permanently and with a small piece of tape over the vent hole.

Comment

I think we are confusing Leroy here. Yes, if you drill the hole in the same area that Studebaker (or Dana) did in the "Bell" shaped portion it will not hit the Bearing Race just as studebakerkid told us.

Not sure what this is about? "And I believed you!"

The other thing is Altair is talking about the tiny Differential Vent hole in the Left Axle tube near the top under the Brake Line strap that only vents the Diff.

The Grease Cavity that gets the Zerk would also have to have a Vent hole drilled, because that area is not vented by the Diff. Vent.

I am with those that said when properly greased by hand with Quality Grease, the wheel bearings should not run out of Grease without a Zerk for 20-50,000 Miles as many have, Zerks are just overkill, peace of mind, whatever.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X