radiator gone... part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator gone... part 2

Several months ago I started a thread looking for a replacement radiator for my '63 Hawk. I had taken my radiator, on 11/25/14 to be exact, to a local vendor Radiator Doctors" in Conway, AR, and they lost it. I was pretty upset and figured the vendor would jerk me around long enough that I would go away. Guess I'm a cynic.

As Paul Harvey used to say: "And now here's the rest of the story." After numerous phone conversations where they kept putting me off with "we're trying to figure out where yours went and then we're trying to find a replacement" I finally asked them to give me the $600 so I could get a new one. To my surprise, they asked where I would get one. I gave them SI's contact information and a week later I have a brand new, never been used radiator. It's nice to find a vendor with that kind of integrity. There are good, honest people out there!!!

hapner

Great story, and thanks for taking the time to inform us. Gee...now we have one less "poor guy working his butt off trying to earn a profit " to beat up on.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Glad it all worked out for you. I wish everyone in business had that integrity. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Glad you received some satisfaction. I am always nervous about sending things out to be rebuilt and in your case re-cored.
        Just had the radiator re-cored in my 1957 Packard and was nervous about that then, when I got it back they had soldered the side brackets on backwards. They had put the left side bracket on the right, and the right side on the left. They put them back on correctly the second time around, just took two more days.
        Reminds me of a instance back about 1975 or so...
        I was helping a elderly neigbor repair the power steering pump in his 1962 Lincoln. I took it off and sent to a rebuilder in Philadelphia,( I won't mention their name because they still may be in business ) anyway they lost it, never to be seen again. I ended up having to find a good used unit for him as I felt bad for what had happened. So there I was, out in a salvage yard in the middle of winter taking apart a Lincoln to get the power steering pump off. And those pumps ran off the camshaft, not a easy place to reach especially with those forward opening hoods!
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I think there are more "good guys" than "bad guys" we just hear of the "bad guys". In business it seems those who do not take care of the customer are soon to be out of business. So when a business treats you right comment on that also, not just the "dissatisfied" comments.
          It is an addiction!

Comment

Gee it's good to see a happy ending. I was certain that a thief ran off with your radiator to sell for scrap. Nice to know that the radiator shop came through for you.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

"THEY SAY" (Whoever THEY are) a radiator designed for a Jeep with a SBC conversion will bolt right in and work great,if you are not concerened with the original look. I looked them up on line and the pictures look promising. Priced anywhere from $150. on up.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

I was lucky enough to have my radiator re-cored at a local shop. The owner is the son of the original owner who is now in his 80's. He still hangs around the shop and the son said to me "My Dad came in and took one look at your radiator and said oh I see you're doing a Studebaker radiator". The shop mainly builds custom race radiators and doesn't do much resto work. They did some work for me in the past so I knew they could handle it. Came out great btw.

Comment

Neil, the Jeep conversion radiators do work..... In a Hawk, GT Hawk, Lark and 56-58 sedans. They will not fit in a 53 54 C/K. Not sure about 55's, but I kind of doubt it. So far so good. Christine has one and we can't get her to run hot. I put one in a 66 with a 350 and the gauge has not gone past half way.
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                  X