PDA

View Full Version : 2001-2004 Avanti Chassis from a Pontiac Firebird or a Chevrolet Camaro?

rgallatin
03-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Are the chassis used for the AMC Avantis all from Pontiac Firebirds or do some of them use a Chevrolet Camaro chassis. Aren't the two chassis the same?
http://www.theavanti.net/registry01.html

studegary
03-18-2015, 03:01 PM
There is no yes or no answer to your question.
2001-2004 Avantis are built on a Firebird.
2005-2007 Avantis are built on a Mustang.
Also, it is more than just a "chassis", as was used from 1987-1991. The 2001-2007 Avantis utilize much of the body and interior of the donor car.

rgallatin
03-18-2015, 03:28 PM
I guess the question should have referred only to 2001-2004

karterfred88
03-18-2015, 04:19 PM
I guess the question should have referred only to 2001-2004
The unitized structure, inner door frames, inner 1/4s etc. are common to the F'Bird and Camaro-- outer skins, fenders etc. are not.

Gunslinger
03-18-2015, 04:55 PM
I haven't heard of Camaro platforms being used...only TransAm. One quick way to tell which was the original donor car is that the Firebird interior has round dash a/c outlets while the Camaro interior has squarish outlets.

rgallatin
03-18-2015, 05:03 PM
What exactly defines the 2001-2004 Avanti chassis? My dictionary says a chassis is "The base frame of a motor vehicle or other wheeled conveyance." So is a chassis only the "base frame" or is there more there than the Firebird frame?

Skip Lackie
03-18-2015, 06:41 PM
We shouldn't be using the term "chassis" when referring to modern unit body vehicles. I believe "platform" is the term used by the industry. It includes the floor pan, cowl, the basic dog house, various suspension components, and maybe the front subframe. Vehicles like pickup trucks and Chevy Suburbans still have chassis -- but not many cars still do.

rgallatin
03-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Thanks for a lucid clarification on the "chassis" issue. This is something I wondered about ever since I found chassis used interchangeably with the Lark X-frame.

rgallatin
03-18-2015, 07:54 PM
By the way -- What's the "dog house"?

Mark L
03-18-2015, 08:16 PM
It's where you go to sleep when you buy another Studebaker before asking your better half if it's OK. :lol:

Warren Webb
03-18-2015, 11:12 PM

The front end sheet metal. In the case of the Avanti in question, it would be the front end inner structure since the fenders, hood ect. are bolted on.

DEEPNHOCK
03-18-2015, 11:22 PM
The AVX style Avanti's were originally built on F body GM platforms (Firebird and Camaro).
They re-skinned the body and added a custom interior.
The platform and modifications chosen were to not have to do destructive crash testing of the platform (GM already did that).
There is no AMC connection to the Avanti, and never was any connection to AMC.

Skip Lackie
03-19-2015, 08:12 AM
My use of the term really applied to unit-body non-convertibles, like the Firebird coupe. The dog house would then mean the windshield (A) pillar, roof, C pillar, and the rear quarters if they were welded to the floor and substructure.

Gunslinger
03-19-2015, 08:22 AM

You mean the Avanti Motor Corporation had no connection to the Avanti? :confused: :lol:

JBOYLE
03-19-2015, 09:13 AM
You mean the Avanti Motor Corporation had no connection to the Avanti? :confused: :lol:

:):):)

I'll also point out that AMC Avantis have no connection to Studebakers...other than using a name originally used by Studebaker and some very broad design cues. :)

studegary
03-19-2015, 07:10 PM
:):):)

I'll also point out that AMC Avantis have no connection to Studebakers...other than using a name originally used by Studebaker and some very broad design cues. :)

How about also including the same main designer - Tom Kellogg?

plwindish
03-19-2015, 09:54 PM
The first ownership (Neuman and Altman) had a lot more Studebaker than broad design cues n the 66 - 84 Avantis. The RQA's were all Studebaker except for the power plant. Since Studebaker used McKinnon (Chevrolet) motors in 65 & 66, one could argue that the Chevy power was Studebaker's last power plant.

JBOYLE
03-19-2015, 10:23 PM
How about also including the same main designer - Tom Kellogg?

By that logic anything designed by Loewy would qualify as a Studebaker. :)
It's nice that SDC welcomes those owners, after all their dues are welcome, but they really should belong to the AOAI since their cars are Avantis and not Studebakers.
If anyone asks me (and I'm sure they won't) I don't think SDC would have a show class for the F-Body cars, instead leaving it up to AOAI. In fact, a case could be made for saying the same about the late 80s cars with GM chassis and engines, different interiors than the original as well as changed body panels. Not much of the original Avanti DNA in those either.
But again, I'm happy the SDC has a "big tent".

wittsend
03-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Later Avanti's, the "step/in-laws" of the Studebaker family. To those who use to watch "Dallas" the Ray Krebs of South Fork (as opposed to South Bend). :) My Sunbeam Tiger is kind of like that. A British car with American power train. A Ford engine and a Pentstar on the fender because Chrysler bought a controlling interest in the Rootes Group (a mixed family in and of itself). Tiger..., "Who's your Daddy???"

studegary
03-20-2015, 12:48 PM
By that logic anything designed by Loewy would qualify as a Studebaker. :)
It's nice that SDC welcomes those owners, after all their dues are welcome, but they really should belong to the AOAI since their cars are Avantis and not Studebakers.

To the first sentence - No, that is not what I meant to imply. I meant that Tom Kellogg tried to design a modern Avanti with an Avanti theme (for the AVX/2001-2007 Avanti).

To the second sentence - I agree that all 1965-2007 Avantis are NOT Studebakers.

BTW - I have owned both Studebaker and post-Studebaker Avantis and am always shopping for more.

Avantict
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
It must be nice to have such a narrow view of the world and genealogy. Another words what begot what? I am glad that the SDC has a big tent and allows the inclusion of post Studebaker Avantis at their meets. Some would exclude anything not to their liking or thinking. I have been a member of both the SDC and AOAI since 1972 and I can honestly say being narrow minded has not unfortunately changed. i.e.: its not a Studebaker

In response to the original question No Chevrolet Camaros were harmed in the 2001-2007 generation.

How do I know? I was there.

8E45E
03-20-2015, 05:28 PM

Just the wiper switch on some '70's cars....

Craig

DEEPNHOCK
03-20-2015, 05:45 PM
Just the wiper switch on some '70's cars....

Craig

That's a vendor issue....
Now I'm kind of sorry I responded this this thread at all:whome::rolleyes: