Looking for pics of Champ dual tailpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Looking for pics of Champ dual tailpipes

I'm upgrading my 64 Champ 8E7 to dual exhausts. I have seen underside pics posted here before of other owners who have done this with the 259, but I can't find them at the moment. If you have pics of this upgrade, or even pics of an original dual exhaust Champ, showing a clear layout of the pipes, I'd love to see them!
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Mike, best place is over at the Studebaker Truck Talk, here is a link: http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885

Here is a thread with a couple of pics on a C-cab (basically the same chassis as a Champ):
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885...alf-ton+C-Cab-

I've got a dual exhaust system from Don Simmons but have not fully installed it yet. It is similar to the pics in the link above, both pipes run parallel down the passenger side.
    Last edited by r1lark; 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM. Reason: additional information
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I do'nt have any pics to post.but ran duals on my 63 champ V8,these are duals right from the manifolds on back. I do'nt see the need to run both pipes together down the passenger side - but to each their own.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I had dual exhaust pipes installed on my 64 Champ with a 289. I had both pipes run down the right side with glass pack mufflers. The left pipe after the muffler crossed over the differential to the left side. It ran that way for the 25 years I owned the truck. Bud

Comment

You could ask over to Parks Pipes, they helped me come up with a dual exhaust for my 1965 Wagonaire.
          They advertise in Turning Wheels.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
            /Cut/ If you have pics of this upgrade, or even pics of an original dual exhaust Champ, showing a clear layout of the pipes, I'd love to see them!
            The front crossmember is not dipped to allow a Left Exhaust Pipe to pass through without a lot of jogs or low hanging Pipe, this seems to me to be the reason Pipes on both sides at that point are usually never done.

On one I had done for a Local member on his 259 Powered 1 Ton Stakebed R Series, I had the Muffler Shop run them on the right, and then it works better without having to untangle them, to have the Right Pipe go across the rear after the Diff. to a Left Side exit and I believe all of Don Simmons pipes do that.

This system causes both pipes to be within inches of being equal length, because the LEFT pipe crosses over under the Oil pan and goes out the Right side and the Right Side Pipe crosses over at the rear making them almost even.

Be aware that no Production Truck ever had Dual Exhausts, I can think of two Prototypes that did (Granatelli Champ R2's) but that does not count.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-18-2015, 05:26 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

like You said,these trucks were not designed with duals in mind.I simply ran My driver side front pipe just under the frame rail and straight down the outside "opposit the gas tank".My father did this to His 63 Champ back in the 70s and so far no worries.really what,s gonna hit that little curve of pipe,that would'nt first hit either axle or spring perches? I think if any one is using the truck hard/extreme I'd suggest installing a scid plate for the oil pan.
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The front crossmember is not dipped to allow a Left Exhaust Pipe to pass through without a lot of jogs or low hanging Pipe, this seems to me to be the reason Pipes on both sides at that point are usually never done.

On one I had done for a Local member on his 259 Powered 1 Ton Stakebed R Series, I had the Muffler Shop run them on the right, and then it works better without having to untangle them, to have the Right Pipe go across the rear after the Diff. to a Left Side exit and I believe all of Don Simmons pipes do that.

This system causes both pipes to be within inches of being equal length, because the LEFT pipe crosses over under the Oil pan and goes out the Right side and the Right Side Pipe crosses over at the rear making them almost even.

Be aware that no Production Truck ever had Dual Exhausts, I can think of two Prototypes that did (Granatelli Champ R2's) but that does not count.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks guys, good advice!
                Mike Davis

Comment

You didn't ask for advice as to whether to do the conversion or not. FWIW, with taking the left side over to the right and back over to the left to exit, there will be no performance gain on a stock street engine.

For the last several V8 trucks I've done, I just used the standard single exhaust, but asked for 2" or 2.25" pipe and a straight-through muffler. Works fine and sounds fine. That's what I use on the Packard V8 in my '55 E12.

Another FWIW, any street dual system should have an H-pipe or X-pipe connecting the two. Without it, there's a possibility of an annoying droning resonance which can make highway travel less fun.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

My Dad added a Don Simmons dual set up to his '64 Champ. The pipes travel down the right side before the left goes over the driveshaft. Both pipes exit just behind the rear wheels. It's a real nice job. BTW All pipes are 2".
                    Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      You didn't ask for advice as to whether to do the conversion or not. FWIW, with taking the left side over to the right and back over to the left to exit, there will be no performance gain on a stock street engine.

For the last several V8 trucks I've done, I just used the standard single exhaust, but asked for 2" or 2.25" pipe and a straight-through muffler. Works fine and sounds fine. That's what I use on the Packard V8 in my '55 E12.

Another FWIW, any street dual system should have an H-pipe or X-pipe connecting the two. Without it, there's a possibility of an annoying droning resonance which can make highway travel less fun.

jack vines
                      I like to stay 100% stock, but if I wanted more exhaust flow I would also stay with the single but larger pipes.

My 1950 Champion was restored 20 years ago and the guy used a turbo muffler. I don't like the extra noise and droning while on the freeway. The first thing I will do this spring is install a stock muffler.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                        My Dad added a Don Simmons dual set up to his '64 Champ. The pipes travel down the right side before the left goes over the driveshaft. Both pipes exit just behind the rear wheels. It's a real nice job. BTW All pipes are 2".
                        Rob in PA.
                        Rob,
                        That sounds like what I will be doing, too. You don't happen to have pics of that setup, do you?
                        Mike Davis

Comment

Working...
                        X