Neat M-Series from AACA forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat M-Series from AACA forums

I was reading the AACA forums and happened on this pic- I've never seen a delivery like this before. Can anyone shed any light on where the pic is taken? Sign to the left of the truck say something about Studebaker- and there's a 34-35 Studebaker in the parking lot behind the truck. Very cool pic.

Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Thanks for sharing , never seen one before!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Interesting that it uses the stock fenders as well as the grille, bumper, and headlights.
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks like Denver PA.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
          Can anyone shed any light on where the pic is taken?
          "Looks like Denver PA. "

Does appear to be, doesn't it, Dick?

Leads me to believe it was probably taken at the dealership before initial delivery. Any info on a Denver, PA dealership?
          Last edited by rockne10; 03-14-2015, 06:03 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            "Looks like Denver PA. "

Does appear to be, doesn't it, Dick?

Leads me to believe it was probably taken at the dealership before initial delivery.
            Yes...Look at the partial view of the sign behind the truck. Some kind of Studebaker sign. Also, look at the cars in the adjacent parking lot seen at the front of the truck. Is that a 1933 Studebaker grille? As to the three story building in the background. There seems to be a faint vertical lettering on the two brick columns to the left. I can't make them out. I wonder if the actual dealer building is to the left, out of the picture? That large building looks awfully big for a dealer. Great picture.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Swab Wagon Works in Pennsylvania comes to mind. They would have made something like this and were building custom bodies and selling Studeakers at that time.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have the original 8 X 10 glossy. It was taken in 1941 and definitely in PA. Note right hand drive. Car in background is a '34. Could have been done by one of dozens of body companies.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  There seems to be a faint vertical lettering on the two brick columns to the left.
                  Looks like "UNITED STATES TIRE" and "ARE GOOD".
                  I don't think Swab was building bread bodies but, only Mike Margerum could verify. Also, Denver, PA is in Lancaster County and Swab was (is) in Elizabethville, Dauphin County. Still, close enough to be probable.
                  It's a shame Mike finds computers and the internet to be the work of the devil.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The photo appears to be taken at John S. Butzer and Brother Studebaker on S. State St. in Ephrata Pa. (not many miles from Denver) most likely the selling dealer. As I stated here before I remember visiting that place in the 60's when I was a youngin.
                    My guess is the body was made by Boyertown Body Works in Boyertown Pa, roughly an hour east of Ephrata/Denver. They were famous for this type of bodies.
                    JS
                    Last edited by LarkTruck; 03-15-2015, 08:43 AM.
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                    X