51 studebaker i would like to buy near phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 studebaker i would like to buy near phoenix

On Craigslist near Phoenix there is a 51 Studebaker Commander for sale I like to would buy. I should fly there
    and check it out. First does anybody know this car or are close by to inspect it. I would pay a member to
    inspect if they live close by. I don't know how to paste the craigslist here.......its Craigslist Phoenix
    1951 Studebaker Commander Its looks worth restoring, The seller says its has only a gallon of gas in it
    and it runs, However it should be winched on to a trailer or transport. Sounds like a barn find, Gene

A Winner, it's a Commander Starlight Coupe!

It MAY have the original 232 V8, it says 262? Automatic? That's unusual for a '51.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4924732135.html
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-12-2015, 07:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

is this it?
      Oops - Rich beat me to it!
      http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4924732135.html

Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Keep us posted on the out come of the 51 or any 51 commanders for sale, at that price my 51 commander now has some standards to go by.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

That is in Mesa, not too far from my place in Apache Junction, about 4 miles. I plan to be heading down there in a few days from Alberta. I could take a look at it for you, if no one else steps up, or it sells in the meantime. Should be there by this time next week, or sooner, unless problems delay my departure. Send me a PM on the Forum, and I can give you my cell numbers, both here and in AZ.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have ridden in a friends '51 Starlight Commander Coupe with auto transmission. The 232 carries it along very well. If you manage to get it, you are in for a treat. On my computer, it looks like a rather odd copper color. If the paint turns out to be in decent shape, I wouldn't spend the money to change it. However, if it needs repaint, these cars look great Black Cherry, Black, Concord Blue, or the Burgundy (Holiday Red for my '48). In fact...these cars look good any color.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Nice car. 1950 spinner.

Comment

I have over $8k in mine and it still needs just about everything. That sure looks like a good find to me.

Comment

I would never have ordered one new in Sahara Sand. Now that I've had it for a quarter century, you can only pry it from my cold dead fingers. AND... I love the DG200 automatic transmission!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Very nice looking ride there! And you can drive it !

In still working and spending on mine!

Dean.

Comment

Is that a factory color?
                      PackardV8

Comment

Interesting the difference in behavior between forums. On a chain saw forum I participate on a mere mention of a desirable saw will cause people to scour Craigslist within a 200 mile radius. Post the details and expect someone else to buy it out from under you.

Comment

"Guido", i've seen the same thing happen when i was into Corvettes and on their forums.

the ad is still posted on CL.

"Nanaimo guy": i'd probably jump on the first flight available to check her out!
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hi Gord...thank you for your message , I know posting the info on club forum may help somebody beat you to the seller and lose out. I will phone
                            the seller Saturday. I know its a 232 V8 and it has the 50 spinner. Any 51 with the V8 and automatic most desirable and Starlite is cream of the crop.
                            However I did get burned on a 51 2dr 10yrs ago...the floors were all fibre glass. If you are heading that way I will appreciate you to look at it.
                            Interiors are easy to work on that year car. This could be a good find. My email is eugenemick@hotmail.com Land phone....call collect 1 250 753 5555

Comment

I'm new here -- not currently a Studebaker owner but have previously owned a '55 and a '31, both Commanders. For some time, I've enjoyed reading this forum because the enthusiasm and comaraderie here considerably exceed that of most of the others. In any case, I'm wondering what migth be the etiquette when a forum member posts a car for sale in which he or she is interested. While obviously "hands off" should apply initially to others, how long should that be the case? What if the original poster is hesitating so long as to cause the vehicle to risk being sold out from under him/her anyway? Is it OK to contact the original poster at some point to ask what he/she plans to do, or does that amount to unfriendly pressure? And, finally, what if the listing posted would likely have been discovered by another member anyway (say, a member located in the vicinity of the item listed)? I guess these are questions considerably eqasier to ask than answer, huh, guys?
                              ~ Charlie Manes

Comment

Working...
                              X