ID PLATES (MODEL # &VIN #)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID PLATES (MODEL # &VIN #)

I HAVE A PROBLEM, HAD THE CAB OF MY M-5 SAND BLASTED INSIDE AND OUT, NOW THEY CAN`T FIND MY ID PLATES ANY SUGGSSTIONS

MAny vehicles of that era were titled off the engine number, you may want to see what your title reflects. Your truck also originally had a second serial number on the left frame rail behind the left front tire. You may want to see if it is still there or if it has been done in by the elements or dripping battery acid. [:0]

Comment

MAny vehicles of that era were titled off the engine number, you may want to see what your title reflects. Your truck also originally had a second serial number on the left frame rail behind the left front tire. You may want to see if it is still there or if it has been done in by the elements or dripping battery acid. [:0]

Comment

I don't know about your make and model but there are blank plates being sold on e-bay for Studebakers. If you have the number off your title you can get a replacement made. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I don't know about your make and model but there are blank plates being sold on e-bay for Studebakers. If you have the number off your title you can get a replacement made. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I MIGHT have one off an M-series, but probably not an M-5. Where on the cab was this tag attached?

Here's a precaution about turning your project car over to "professionals". These guys will treat your vehicle like any other vehicle. I can't tell you HOW MANY sad tales I've heard about body shops and places like this sand-blaster losing bits in the course of their operations!!! Unless you're using some place that SPECIALIZES in restorations (and even THAT'S no Guarantee!!) they're gonna treat your car/truck like just another patch 'n paint project. The shop owner/foreman MAY be a responsible sort, but he can't watch over the shoulder of every dit-wad that's pushing a piece of sandpaper.
            I've sold plenty of parts to body shops thru the years because they lost or damaged a piece of trim or a bracket or some key part. The worst was a Rambler convertible where they somehow lost EVERY piece of brightwork they'd taken off to paint the car![8][8][8]
            Years ago, I had to fab a set of door handles for a Saoutchik-bodied '39 Mercedes show car, because OUR OWN body shop department lost them after they'd stripped the car to paint it. I spent a couple of weeks replicating those handles as they were one-off items that were unique in the way they operated.
            Do yourself a favor before you leave your precious prize in someone else's hands. Remove EVERYTHING that has to come off for them to do their work! Take it home with you. Don't blithely assume they'll cherish it like you do.[}]

Edit: BTW, Dick Steinkamp has advised that there's a serial number plate affixed to the frame rail, behind the left front wheel. If this is the case with your truck, you may be able to at least have some evidence of your truck's serial number from that.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I MIGHT have one off an M-series, but probably not an M-5. Where on the cab was this tag attached?

Here's a precaution about turning your project car over to "professionals". These guys will treat your vehicle like any other vehicle. I can't tell you HOW MANY sad tales I've heard about body shops and places like this sand-blaster losing bits in the course of their operations!!! Unless you're using some place that SPECIALIZES in restorations (and even THAT'S no Guarantee!!) they're gonna treat your car/truck like just another patch 'n paint project. The shop owner/foreman MAY be a responsible sort, but he can't watch over the shoulder of every dit-wad that's pushing a piece of sandpaper.
              I've sold plenty of parts to body shops thru the years because they lost or damaged a piece of trim or a bracket or some key part. The worst was a Rambler convertible where they somehow lost EVERY piece of brightwork they'd taken off to paint the car![8][8][8]
              Years ago, I had to fab a set of door handles for a Saoutchik-bodied '39 Mercedes show car, because OUR OWN body shop department lost them after they'd stripped the car to paint it. I spent a couple of weeks replicating those handles as they were one-off items that were unique in the way they operated.
              Do yourself a favor before you leave your precious prize in someone else's hands. Remove EVERYTHING that has to come off for them to do their work! Take it home with you. Don't blithely assume they'll cherish it like you do.[}]

Edit: BTW, Dick Steinkamp has advised that there's a serial number plate affixed to the frame rail, behind the left front wheel. If this is the case with your truck, you may be able to at least have some evidence of your truck's serial number from that.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                Edit: BTW, Dick Steinkamp has advised that there's a serial number plate affixed to the frame rail, behind the left front wheel. /quote]
                As if my response didn't..... [V][B)]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                  Edit: BTW, Dick Steinkamp has advised that there's a serial number plate affixed to the frame rail, behind the left front wheel. /quote]
                  As if my response didn't..... [V][B)]

Comment

Awww Geez Gary! I'm sorry....[V] ACTUALLY.... I'd like to know if that's consistent on POST-war M-series. I know cars dropped the frame-mounted serial number plate in 1940. I'm wondering if they may have dropped that plate on trucks after WWII.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Awww Geez Gary! I'm sorry....[V] ACTUALLY.... I'd like to know if that's consistent on POST-war M-series. I know cars dropped the frame-mounted serial number plate in 1940. I'm wondering if they may have dropped that plate on trucks after WWII.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Bob,

All of the post war M series I have seen had the frame tag (with the possible exception of the '45 M-15 C-9 I sold, but I do not recall ever looking for it). However, the location of the main serial tag did change from the windshield pillar to the seat riser at some point.

Gary

Comment

Bob,

All of the post war M series I have seen had the frame tag (with the possible exception of the '45 M-15 C-9 I sold, but I do not recall ever looking for it). However, the location of the main serial tag did change from the windshield pillar to the seat riser at some point.

Gary

Comment

So noted! Thanks Gary!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

So noted! Thanks Gary!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X