Unidentified Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified Doors

Hello, my name is Ceric and I am having difficulty identifying the year & model of Studebaker our 4 doors belong to.

I am a computer IT professional by trade. I am woefully unlearned about automotive... anything.
    A while back my father (life-long automotive mechanic) was given these 4 car doors. Apparently the hinges were cut off of the original vehicle long ago. We don't know the who's or why's of it. Best guesses are that the skins and innards of the doors have only surface rust and therefore can be used for original restoration projects. Or, the doors were saved because every piece of glass appears to be original factory and in perfect condition. My father has said he'd like to sell them to someone who can use them rather than simply dumping them at the local metal crushing/recycling yard. As a computer nerd, I have no idea what year or model they truly belong to, or what value, if any they have.

After hours of research the closest I have found is a 1962 Studebaker Lark. However, the images I keep seeing do not exactly match the doors I have. Most notably may be the rear glass panel on the rear doors. My doors have semi-rounded glass whereas the images I've seen are more angular.

I've heard there might be a Lark 2B, or Lark 2nd Generation of the same year, but I have no idea what any of that means, if nothing at all.

I've created a simple webpage so that anyone can see the pictures I've taken. I'm hoping someone far more knowledgeable than myself can offer a positive ID, or a guess as to their value. The webpage is at the following address...

narstoi.com/apex/inventory/automotive/stude/stude.htm

If anyone is able to help us out, and they have a computer giving trouble, or related questions, I'd happily offer to analyze & recommend a solution to your question(s) / problem(s). Free car advice from a pro in exchange for free tech advice from a 32 year veteran of the computer building/repair profession.

These are 1962 Studebaker Lark Cruiser Doors.

One of the differences is the standard Larks have a one piece very LARGE roll-up Window, the Top Of the line Luxury "Cruiser" had opening vent windows with a smaller roll-up window.

The Map Pockets were another Cruiser only upgrade.

The more squared off type rear doors you may have seen were 1961 Standard Lark non-Cruiser.

The front doors are going to be way more in demand because of the wider range of Cars they fit.
    That would be late 1955 to 1962 4 Door Cars and 1960 to 1964 Champ Pickup Trucks.

The rears only fit '62 Lark Cruisers.

Prices are all over the place depending on who is selling and where they are, and the Marketing tool used. A guess would be probably anywhere from $35.00 to $75.00 each, maybe less with Fronts on the High end.
    The rusty ones at the low end especially if the bottoms are heavily rotted out.

I notice they do have the Solex Tinted Glass, that is a PLUS.

I hope this helps you.

You have a "PM" Private Message. These are only visible when logged in.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am not sure where you are in Missouri but you might contact the local SDC chapters in your area first. These are heavy to ship so local pickup might get more interest. You might also include pictures of their bottoms as buyers will want to also know the condition.

You can find contact for the local chapters at http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks very much for your help. Now that we know what they belong too we can see if anyone needs the doors. For us, the Ozark Trails chapter is probably the closest. We'll get in contact and see if anyone has any interest. Also, if either of you have any comp questions you'd like answered from someone who doesn't want your money, please shoot me a private message.

My dad has had these doors sitting in a storage shed for many years now. Hopefully someone can make use of them.

Comment

Yes, find them a good home! Even if there's rot in bottom,
          There's plenty of other good parts there, glass, (tinted a big plus), regulators, inside and outside door handles etc.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

The rears only fit '62 Lark Cruisers
            You have a "PM" Private Message. These are only visible when logged in.
            What else do the rear quarter swing out windows fit?
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
              What else do the rear quarter swing out windows fit?
              They fit no other Car, the '53 to '58 Y Body's, '59-'60 Taxi, and '61 Cruiser all have a nice curvy shape, but the '62 is a one-off.

Actually the Doors will work on a Deluxe or Regal Lark, just would be the wrong windows to be correct and I am sure no one would care.

Click image for larger version

Name:	White Cruiser SB IN 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1695837 '61 Cruisers have the same shape vent window as '53-'58 Y Body and '59-'60 Taxis that did not open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	'62 Cruiser rear door.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1695838 The '62 Cruiser has an ungainly, odd shape not like anything else.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2015, 10:33 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks again for the assistance. I've contacted the Ozark Trails Chapter about the doors.

Also, I've taken the additional pictures of all sides (edges) of the doors to show light surface rust only. Latest pics can be viewed from same temporary webpage..

Comment

Working...
                X