PDA

View Full Version : How is a SDC chapter formed?

Scott
03-10-2015, 11:17 AM
How many people does it take to form a chapter and what are the steps?

Commander Eddie
03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Scott,
If you are inquiring in the hopes of starting a new chapter, keep in mind there are already 5 chapters here in Oregon. That being said, you may be able to get what you need from the SDC Website. Click on "Resources" then scroll down and select "New Chapter Chartering".

Stu Chapman
03-10-2015, 11:26 AM
How many people does it take to form a chapter and what are the steps?

Scott, I would suggest that the first step would be to communicate with your Regional Manager, Zone Coordinator and National Director.

Stu Chapman

Scott
03-10-2015, 11:49 AM
OK. Thanks.
Actually, there are 6 in Oregon, but three or four of them are within 150 miles of Portland. The one down here (Southern Oregon) covers a huge chunk of land that I believe covers an area from the Pacific coast to at least 180 miles inland and across at least 2 mountain ranges. Yes, mountains are still an impediment to travel where you don't have major interstates cutting through them. All we have is I-5 going north and south. There are also other reasons I am wondering about it.

studegary
03-10-2015, 01:03 PM
I believe that the required minimum number is five SDC members.
Contact the person entrusted with chapter chartering, Leigh Morris. Contact information is on page 3 of every Turning Wheels.

8E45E
03-10-2015, 01:29 PM
I believe James Bell is your zone contact. He goes by 'Bellingham Studenut' here on the Forum.

Craig

Scott
03-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) that the Yreka area and maybe Shasta are not within any chapter. If they are they must be maybe 100 miles away from where most activity probably takes place (like Redding).

StudeDave57
03-10-2015, 07:14 PM
I believe James Bell is your zone contact. He goes by 'Bellingham Studenut' here on the Forum. Craig
James is the Can-Am Zone Director, yes.
But I don't believe he would be your First point of contact though.
This link shows who your Regional manager and your Zone Coordinator are~

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/zonecontacts.asp

They can provide you with membership information in your area, and contacts for same.
I'd start with them (and Leigh as mentioned above) before jumping all the way to the top.

Scott
03-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks StudeDave57! If nothing else I'll learn some new things about the club.

Scott
03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Is there a map that roughly shows the geographic boundaries of each SDC chapter? I know some members live far away from the chapter they belong to, but I am assuming there are still generally recognized boundaries for most if not all chapters.

StudeDave57
03-11-2015, 01:01 PM
That would be a question for your Zone Officers Scott.
But honestly- I don't know that I would go so far to say that Chapters have 'boundaries'. I know lots of folks who belong to multiple Chapters locally and beyond. For example- there was a time when I belonged to four different Chapters in three States!!!

StudeDave '57:cool:

Sam Ensley
03-11-2015, 01:14 PM
I know how you feel, Scott, about the distance. I live in north Georgia, almost in North Carolina. I belong to two clubs in Georgia and one in North Carolina. I seldom get to attend meetings because of the distance and barrier mountains. I get my Studebaker fix from Turning Wheels and the Antigue Studebaker magazine. I try to attend zone meets and international meets at least every other year.

alex54
03-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I also know how you feel Scott. 5 chapters in Texas, the closest one is 325 miles away. Never been to a Studebaker meet. Only been to one MG meet about 9 years ago. Just hard to get away from work and with kids in school......

Scott
03-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Most chapter meeting for Southern Oregon are not more than 40 miles away for me, but it is much worse for anyone in Klamath Falls, or Yreka, CA or extreme nothern California. I don't know if the chapter I belong to has ever done a meeting down there. I'm thinking that if the chapter wants to grow it's restricted by the fact that potential members are so remote and maybe it's time for a new chapter that really embraces extreme southern Oregon and Northern California. Besides, this chapter doesn't seem to put much effort into recruiting new members (none) and I do not see myself breaking into any leadership positions.

Deaf Mute
03-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Our chapter (like a lot of others) is trying hard to recruit members without much luck. We have a website, Facebook page, and try to get on local media as much as possible. We have officers (and others) that drive up to 75 miles each way to attend our monthly meetings, but we have others that can't make a 10 minute trip to attend. www.big6sdc.com (http://www.big6sdc.com) In our Zone, the Iowa Hawkeye Chapter, North Star Chapter (Minnesota) and the Wisconsin Region Chapter cover almost the complete state they are based in.

rockinhawk
03-11-2015, 03:37 PM
That would be a question for your Zone Officers Scott.
But honestly- I don't know that I would go so far to say that Chapters have 'boundaries'. I know lots of folks who belong to multiple Chapters locally and beyond. For example- there was a time when I belonged to four different Chapters in three States!!!

StudeDave '57:cool: Our chapter is known as the South Georgia Chapter,but we have been known to accept Sailors from the Navy base in Mayport Florida!

Scott
03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Our chapter (like a lot of others) is trying hard to recruit members without much luck. We have a website, Facebook page, and try to get on local media as much as possible. We have officers (and others) that drive up to 75 miles each way to attend our monthly meetings, but we have others that can't make a 10 minute trip to attend. www.big6sdc.com (http://www.big6sdc.com) In our Zone, the Iowa Hawkeye Chapter, North Star Chapter (Minnesota) and the Wisconsin Region Chapter cover almost the complete state they are based in.
Our chapter doesn't even try. Two weeks ago I met a man from Klamath Falls who was delivering an old vanity desk to my house and he saw my Studebaker and said he had one, too! He didn't know about SDC so I showed him Turning Wheels and he was very impressed. I made a photocopy of the form to join SDC and he was pretty enthused. This week I contacted the local retirement living community (large and for the well heeled) about collecting stories and/or photos of Studebakers that I could contribute to the chapter newsletter. I think that could lead to maybe a few more members, but more importantly enriching the oral history of the marque while it's still possible These are small things, but they at least create a sense that the club is more than a bunch of people getting together to eat and "wait for God". I don't think all members in some chapters even really want new members since they can upset old ways and relationships. Enough said, I guess.

Psdenno
03-11-2015, 09:46 PM
This week I contacted the local retirement living community (large and for the well heeled) about collecting stories and/or photos of Studebakers that I could contribute to the chapter newsletter. I think that could lead to maybe a few more members, but more importantly enriching the oral history of the marque while it's still possible.

What a great idea. In not too many more years, there won't be anyone left who actually was present in a Studebaker dealership to view new cars as they were on display. Gather those memories while they still exist.
Dennis

Scott
03-12-2015, 11:02 AM
My regional manager was no help when it came to new chapter issues, so I've emailed James Bell.

8E45E
03-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Gather those memories while they still exist.

Once a year, our chapter visits and old folks' facility, which usually coincides with International Drive Your Studebaker Day. Here are some photos for a couple of years ago. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?54314-Foothills-Chapter-(Calgary)-Itinery&highlight=beverly So far, none of the residents have provided us with any photos; just memories of either they themselves owning one, or someone they knew who owned one.

Craig

8E45E
03-12-2015, 01:16 PM
My regional manager was no help when it came to new chapter issues, so I've emailed James Bell.

Very good idea. James & Stephanie are the type who will get things done!

Having being involved in the formation of two chapters, it is now up to you to approach close by members and owners of Studebakers you see at local car shows, and tell them your intentions. Once you have long enough list of interested ones, stake out a meeting place and time, contact all them and arrange to meet there. It worked for us. We started with 12 members.

Craig

2moredoors
03-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Referring to post 5

SDC Chapter Chartering
Are you interested in organizing a new SDC chapter serving your area? A minimum of five (5) members in good standing of the Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc. are required to be eligible to form a new SDC chapter.

If this basic requirement is met, contact the chapter chartering director below to request a chapter chartering kit, which includes complete instructions and sample bylaws. In addition, the appropriate Zone Director, Zone Coordinator and Regional Manager will be notified, so these individuals may provide additional assistance as may be appropriate.

If you are interested in forming a new SDC chapter, please contact:

Leigh Morris
PO Box 42
Virginia, IL 62691
217-323-9409
studebaker055@yahoo.com

Scott
03-12-2015, 08:20 PM
OK. I know what to do now if I want to pursue this. Thanks to all. First item: find some more Studebaker enthusiasts in the area.
Has anyone ever tried to recruit through Craigslist or am I the first to think about it?

studebakerkid
04-03-2015, 04:38 AM
Scott I sent you a PM I kinda know what you mean about the eating and waiting for god kinda meetings. My idea of a meeting is pulling someones car into the shop or having several persons there to get something done that otherwise would not get done. I noticed that there are still one or two of the folks left from the Yakima WA chapter still here and alive so they may remember me as I was always dinging them about all that they seem do do was eat whne I was still makinhg my living as a mechanic and trying to run Pinkie at SIR when I was working in the Seattle area. I sure could have used some help as I was running a stroker Mc Kinnon with a compression ratio of 11.25:1 and then one of the old GMC superchargers bolted to an adaptor plate on a Torquer manifold. Just getting four V belts propperly tensioned was a nightmare and I was only running 5psi of boost but it sure got attention sticking through my hood.

Bellingham Studenut
04-03-2015, 02:00 PM
OK. I know what to do now if I want to pursue this. Thanks to all. First item: find some more Studebaker enthusiasts in the area.
Has anyone ever tried to recruit through Craigslist or am I the first to think about it?

Scott,

In addition to info I emailed earlier, you might want to contact the Spokane member who is using Craigslist at
http://spokane.craigslist.org/wan/4952198237.html

Craigslist has reached a lot of potential members, when we've announced Whatcom County chapter events (and it's free).

The NW Chapter would also be a good source with a lot of active members who will be hosting the 2015 Zone Meet in Kelso, WA. http://sdc-nw.org/

Regards,

James

Scott
04-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Scott,

In addition to info I emailed earlier, you might want to contact the Spokane member who is using Craigslist at
http://spokane.craigslist.org/wan/4952198237.html

Craigslist has reached a lot of potential members, when we've announced Whatcom County chapter events (and it's free).

The NW Chapter would also be a good source with a lot of active members who will be hosting the 2015 Zone Meet in Kelso, WA. http://sdc-nw.org/

Regards,

James

Nicely done! :!: