PDA

View Full Version : recycling Studebaker slogan

Devan
03-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Just came from the Cleveland Auto Show and had to tell what I ran across.:woot: Displayed proudly above the Acura display the slogan next to its logo, "ACURA, Different By Design". That was Studebaker's tag line in 1964! I read in some reviews that this was considered by some critics as being somewhat boring, lame and uninspired!:yeahright: Always sounded good to me and apparently to Acura, although I'm sure those ad men have no idea of the connection. I tried to take a picture with my phone but it turned out crappy, blurry.

TWChamp
03-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Lasr summer I bought a new portable radio on ebay called STUDEBAKER. I was wondering how they get by with that?

StudeRich
03-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Lasr summer I bought a new portable radio on ebay called STUDEBAKER. I was wondering how they get by with that?

Pretty easily actually, the Corp. does not exist, the only "remnant" is the Studebaker Leasing Co. and they do not sell Radios.
Also the Chinese do not honor our patent rights anyway.

TWChamp
03-07-2015, 09:11 PM
So Rich, are you telling me my Studebaker stock is no good? LOL

studegary
03-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Now I have a connection <G>. Out of my 50+ Studebakers were at least six 1964s and now I have owned an Acura for 12 years.
I wonder if that slogan is a local or auto show thing. I haven't seen it in any local Acura ads here.

Skip Lackie
03-08-2015, 04:08 PM

To add to the above responses: a trademark must be renewed every year to be valid. I doubt if Studebaker bothered to renew their trademarks (except perhaps the corporate name and logo) after 1966. And once the corporation was merged out of existence, there would be no reason to do that, either.