Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YORK??? WHAT'S GOING ON? Any Updates? PIC's? Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YORK??? WHAT'S GOING ON? Any Updates? PIC's? Stories?

Hey...I know it is mid-morning. It is a Saturday, and folks have a life outside this forum. However, with all the portable devices out there, surely someone has the capability to update those of us wishing we could have attended the swap meet. How's it going? Is it going?

Perhaps I've missed some postings, but, from clicking on the "what's new?" button...nothing.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Dan Webber just called with an update. He says there is snow everywhere and the temp early this AM was about 16 degrees.

That's the bad news. The good news is the place is packed with more guys than he has seen in years. I guess everybody has been cooped up all winter and come hell or high water they needed their Studebaker "fix"
    ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Was there Friday the trip from Pittsburgh better than expected less snow present in the middle parts of turnpike near Bedford than expected in Pa winter. York had less snow than I was led to believe from weather and other reports. Turn out not bad few outside venders where we usually find the hidden gold. Appeared to be fewer venders than normal weather controlled I'm sure. Picked up the parts ordered from SI including the newly produced "new" brake shoes. Only two bad things about trip the sun made for a lot of glare while driving and not finding any thing we were not looking for No Studebakers in look at outside . Still a good time with no problems. Better luck next year.

Comment

Temps got up to around 40 on Saturday with lots of sunshine and melting. The main building had about a dozen empty (though sold) vendor spaces. The second building had about a dozen vendor spaces plus a craft show that almost filled it up. Most vendors were in position by noon Friday. Only a few Studes were driven to the meet and/or for sale -- York got about 9 or 10 inches of snow on Thursday, and the roads were well plowed but heavily salted. Mountainous piles of snow on the fairgrounds, but all roads and parking areas were well plowed. The crowd seemed upbeat, but I thought it was down a bit from past years. The weather seemed to have scared off quite a few people. As a result, bargains were there to be had if you looked hard enough.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

All things considered,it was great on Friday and Saturday.The Keystone Chapter did a whale of a job putting this event together,especially in light of the weather conditions Thursday.Yes, attendance seemed down but I was able to get a few goodies for the Daytona.Met up with some old friends but a few more were noticeably missing.No Forum picture this year or maybe I missed the announcement.There were a handful of Studebakers and one Packard on the lot Saturday.All and all, still a GREAT time, and hope to see you next year{New Date-March 10,11 and12, 2016}.

Comment

I have been waiting on my call to inform be of my winning of the raffle car.............
            I guess I did not win.
            So sad..........
            Jack White
            Charlotte,NC
            North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I just did a quick run down and back on Saturday and did not take my camera for the first time in years. Sorry!
              In spite of the earlier inclement weather, my impression was Saturday seemed pretty normal. Kudos to the York Fairgrounds staff and the KRC members who have been pulling this off for over four decades!

The second place raffle winner of the $2000 is Tom White in Kansas; and the new owner of the '51 Land Cruiser is Jay Grather.

Mark your calendars for March 10, 11, 12, 2016.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I didn't win it either!!
                Jamie McLeod
                Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                1958 Commander "Christine"
                1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                1955 Commander Sedan
                1964 Champ
                1960 Lark

Comment

We have returned to Omtario from the meet , It was good as always , lots of good parts and people as always, now we look forward to some spring to get these old relics out ??
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                    I didn't win it either!!
                    There is always a winner! On more occasions than not, it's someone else!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I spent all day there and left after the raffle drawing. It was really great to see such a large turn out in spite of the cold weather and snow. Thanks to everyone involved for putting together another great meet and extra thanks to all the venders.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        Temps got up to around 40 on Saturday with lots of sunshine and melting. The main building had about a dozen empty (though sold) vendor spaces. The second building had about a dozen vendor spaces plus a craft show that almost filled it up. Most vendors were in position by noon Friday. Only a few Studes were driven to the meet and/or for sale -- York got about 9 or 10 inches of snow on Thursday, and the roads were well plowed but heavily salted. Mountainous piles of snow on the fairgrounds, but all roads and parking areas were well plowed. The crowd seemed upbeat, but I thought it was down a bit from past years. The weather seemed to have scared off quite a few people. As a result, bargains were there to be had if you looked hard enough.
                        That's pretty funny Skip! They did a good job in the parking lot, but many of the streets were poorly plowed, if at all.
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                          I didn't win it either!!
                          Well...I didn't need two Land Cruisers to maintain anyway.(sour grapes)

Anyway...I just got in from visiting my mom at the nursing home, and thought I'd check in to see if anyone had posted about the meet. Thanks to all who attended and took the time to let those of us, who missed the party, know how it went.

Besides going to the nursing home, today, I managed to trudge out into the sunshine (it was pretty deep today). In addition to tending to my huge flock of 8 hens, it was warm enough to work up a sweat pulling dead weeds from the woven wire pasture fence. Knocked down the corn stalks that should have been cut last fall, and then, cranked up the big zero turn mower, raised the deck to its highest setting, and pulverized those stalks. It was shirt sleeve weather until the wind kicked up.

These are the days when spring teases us. For those where winter is a reality, keep your chin up. Today, I was visited by an army of robins. They are headed your way. A sure sign that spring is headed north.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm glad & kind of jealous too. Wish we had such a large swap meet out this way. While the meets we have out here are great in their showing of cars, they have become slim in what is available in the swap area. I guess E-bay & the internet has had that affect there. Years ago the meets at La Palma & the Petersen drew a good number of sellers but even the zone meet down in San Diego a few years ago was what I would call "light" when it came to vendors. You guys have it good between York & South Bend meets. I'd even trade some of the 85 degree weather today for a chance to be at York! In spite of the weather I'm happy it turned out well for all who attended.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren,
                              As cold as this weather has been, we sure wish we could send some of the York weekend warmth your way. This year I came with no intention of buying or spending anything; just scrubbing some good vibes with a few hundred amazing friends. I left a couple pieces with T-bow to benefit from his quality service; then still found three extremely rare pieces of Rockne literature.
                              The internet sales and auctions will never, EVER, EVER, EVER supply the warmth and satisfaction of these swap meets; York, Reedsville, South Bend or any others.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X