X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bargain (IMHO)

Pekka sent me this link...

http://classiccars.com/listings/view...lifornia-94551

I sold that car for A LOT more money than the dealer is asking. If the seller has not torn up the interior or trashed the drive train, it's a steal.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

The dealer should let you put together an ebay ad, Dick.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
      The dealer should let you put together an ebay ad, Dick.
      I only do that for GOOD friends.

Speaking of ads...I'm currently running my Daimler on the BaT auction...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-daimler-v8-250/

I like this better than eBay in some respects. Essentially only "car guys" here. Lots of conversation to bring out the pros and cons of the car. Bidders have to post a CC with BaT so only serious bidders involved. No sniping. If there is a last minute bid, the auction stays open for another 3 minutes to allow additional bids. This may continue if necessary.
      Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 03-06-2015, 05:31 PM.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well...If you walked up and said "Hello," I wouldn't know you face to face. However, I know you on this forum. I didn't hesitate to click on the thread, seeing the title, and the fact that you authored it. Before clicking...I knew I was going to see something "classy," something I'd want, and something I probably couldn't afford. Now that I know it was once yours...confirmed all. Great looking car!

As far as what has happened since leaving your care...it has to be a bit suspect. Unless I missed something, I toggled through all the pics and didn't see any views of the engine bay, interior, trunk, or chassis. Something I doubt you would ever neglect.

That said, it still sits with a great stance, looks great, and a slam dunk head turner.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here is a more detailed description with pictures of the car. http://www.myhotcars.com/1954-studeb...er-c-1131.htm?

If my student loans were paid off, I'd be doing whatever was necessary to buy this car. It is the perfect spec, I so wish I could come up with the funds today... I'll be looking for a Starliner to restore this fall, but that is definitely the one to have.

And Dick, that is a great looking Daimler!! I agree, BaT is a fantastic website and does bring out the pros/cons for each car. Its amazing the amount of knowledge and information one can pick up by just reading the comments. GLWTS!!

Comment

Originally posted by J_Cole View Post
            Here is a more detailed description with pictures of the car. http://www.myhotcars.com/1954-studeb...er-c-1131.htm?
            It looks like he hasn't driven it since I sold it to him.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

• J_Cole
              J_Cole commented
              Editing a comment
              Dick, it's funny looking back at what I said in 2015. Some dreams do come true. How cool is that?!? I also posted in another area I wanted an R3-R5 Stude but was applying to get my PhD. Never ever ever thought I'd end up with S2D, working on my doctorate, and getting an R5 (or inspired) car all at the same time. What a cool thing!!

• J_Cole
              J_Cole commented
              Editing a comment
              @dick_steinkamp sorry, tagged the wrong person earlier

I know of 2 black '53 Starlights for sale, one is on eBay and i don't see it ever getting the $65K asking price and there is another one on craigslist in Colorado for around $35K. For $26K, this one appears to be a fantastic deal. Theres a nice red and white Starliner in Charlotte for $25K, but this one looks to be a much nicer car.

Comment

Seeing that ad brought back some fond memories!

That is one sweet ride, but IIRC, it was kinda slow:

sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Seeing that ad brought back some fond memories!

That is one sweet ride, but IIRC, it was kinda slow:

Yep...I got kinda tired of seeing Sheba's tail lights that day.

However, I did make a few changes and break into the 14's at South Bend the following year...

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 03-06-2015, 07:29 PM.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                  However, I did make a few changes and break into the 14's at South Bend the following year...
                  Wish I could have been there!
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

So is Daimler no longer or at least at the time this Daimler was built NOT the same as Daimler Benz of Mercedes fame?

I mean how could a Co. as well known as Mercedes Benz STEAL a Jaguar design right down to the rear doors and Grille and get away with it! Especially since they were so picky about their own designs as to threaten to Sue Studebaker over a silly little thing like a TriStar that was upside down & not even the similar to theirs.
                    After all, the Jag design is not even German.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The German and British Daimler companies were separate entities, German Daimler and Benz merged in 1926.

According to Wikipedia the British Daimler company was independent from 1896-1910, part of BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) from 1910-1960 when Jaguar bought them, basically to expand the factory as the British government wouldn't allow William Lyons to extend his existing factory.

From then on, it was like Rolls-Royce and Bentley, badge engineering, with the Daimler having a higher level of trim.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wish I could have been there!
                        I'm glad you weren't. I actually beat some of the cars I raced.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Based on it having been Dick's car (the Starliner- I never saw it), I made a two way offer (with and without shipping) on it.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Based on it having been Dick's car (the Starliner- I never saw it), I made a two way offer (with and without shipping) on it.
                            Gary,
                            It was at the South Bend meet in 2007. I think I met you there.

Keep in mind I built this car as an old skool hot rod. It has stock Stude suspension and brakes. No power steering (although Gord Richmond did rebuild a Saginaw box for it and it does steer relatively easy for non power). No AC. No heat or defrost. Just the way I wanted it, but it's not for everyone.

Here's a video my son made when the car was just completed...

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X