PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this GT?

wlfrench
03-06-2015, 04:50 AM
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/gt_hawk/1604149.html :confused:

BobPalma
03-06-2015, 05:50 AM
:eek: There's no battery hold-down. :( ;) :cool: BP

wlfrench
03-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Is that the right location for the hood ornament?

BobPalma
03-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Is that the right location for the hood ornament?

No. There were no hood ornaments used on 1963 Hawks. A 1964 Hawk would have had a different grille surround with a hood ornament on top of the grille surround, not on the hood.

There are actually several unauthentic items on the car, Wayne, but my shtick is battery hold-downs, so I had to get that in before somebody beat me to it! :) BP

swvalcon
03-06-2015, 06:25 AM
The black carpet looks out of place.

Dan White
03-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Whats the deal with Hawks showing up lately with 259s (at least 2 in the last 4 months). I thought all GTs except for export were 289s?

jclary
03-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Well...don't see much wrong that couldn't be corrected. The main thing wrong that I see...it's not parked in my driveway.

The seller's claim that these are in "high" demand is true...if you limit your group to "Hawk fans." As some discouraged forum members attempting to sell theirs can attest.

BobPalma
03-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Whats the deal with Hawks showing up lately with 259s (at least 2 in the last 4 months). I thought all GTs except for export were 289s?

They were, Dan; your understanding is correct.

The ones that are showing up may not be 259s, but the result of someone doing incomplete research on the cars and not actually checking the engine serial numbers to verify the displacement. I don't think I'd want to take their word for it one way or another until the engine serial number in a specific car was documented. ;) :cool: BP

52hawk
03-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Well...don't see much wrong that couldn't be corrected. The main thing wrong that I see...it's not parked in my driveway.

The seller's claim that these are in "high" demand is true...if you limit your group to "Hawk fans." As some discouraged forum members attempting to sell theirs can attest.
I'd make that group a little smaller by saying "GT Hawk" fans.

BP,I wonder if the auto 'experts' in some of these cases look at the original engine,and say "that's no 289".. [being a lot more familiar with Ford's small blocks]

swvalcon
03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
But didn't all studebakers come with a 289 motor same as a ford mustang? Been told that several times.

BobPalma
03-06-2015, 08:40 AM
BP, I wonder if the auto 'experts' in some of these cases look at the original engine,and say "that's no 289".. [being a lot more familiar with Ford's small blocks]

:!: An excellent point; entirely possible. ;) :cool: BP

Chucks Stude
03-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Isn't the battery backwards? If it leans outward, it could hit the hood and short out.....

BobPalma
03-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Isn't the battery backwards? If it leans outward, it could hit the hood and short out.....

:) Yes, it is. That is especially dangerous without a battery hold-down, in that it doesn't take much movement to contact the underside of the hood.

That is a Group 24F battery; F being for Ford configuration. A Group 24 battery, like Studebaker used, would have both posts toward the engine side, and the negative post would be toward the front of the car. :cool: BP

ddub
03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
I have seldom seen a listing with so many words and so little information. How many miles? How's the underside. Rust? And my question, is that a correct interior?

Commander Eddie
03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Wrong wheel covers?

wlfrench
03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Whats with the headlight bezels? They just don't look right to me.

BobPalma
03-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Yes, it has been reupholstered in different material.

Full wheel covers were standard equipment on 1963 Hawks, so someone has replaced them with dog-dish hub caps and wheel trim rings along the way.

The headlamp doors ("bezels") look OK and are correct for 1963, although they normally have the small rubber gaskets peeking out around the rearmost edge to keep the heavy door(s) from chipping the leading edge of the paint on the fender(s). :cool: BP

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Band of white painted metal showing through lower grille - from being re-painted with the grille removed. Originally this area was painted with satin black paint so it was not noticeable.

wlfrench
03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Why would someone put the hood ornament in such a strange place?

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-06-2015, 11:03 AM
:) Yes, it is. That is especially dangerous without a battery hold-down, in that it doesn't take much movement to contact the underside of the hood.

That is a Group 24F battery; F being for Ford configuration. A Group 24 battery, like Studebaker used, would have both posts toward the engine side, and the negative post would be toward the front of the car. :cool: BP
It actually is a correct Group 24 battery, note - and + terminal locations. But it is indeed installed backwards.

Mike Van Veghten
03-06-2015, 11:10 AM
The fuel line (as a whole) looks like crap, as do the battery cables, no battery hold down.
The upper radiator hose appears to be flattened.
Passenger side door window is not adjusted properly.

All I see at a quick glance.

Mike

Warren Webb
03-06-2015, 11:15 AM
The Hurst shifter isn't original but the original shifter was a piece of junk so I'd say that's an improvement. No serial number listed so you cant say for certain but based on my (nov 7, 62 production) Hawk, the right dash overlay should have wood grain like the instrument side. Auto parts store exhaust tips, air cleaner snorkel facing the wrong side, plastic fuel filter (dangerous), fuel line route wrong (as is most likely the wrong carb too), horn "bar" from a 62 instead of the correct one with a lower ring, windshield washer bag mounted wrong (should be off the side of the battery), appears to be a Chrysler alternator, #3 & 5 spark plug wires routed wrong (looks to be too long too). The upholstery on the seats look like what mine had when I first got it. Now has a NOS interior installed almost 20 years ago now.

swvalcon
03-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Warren Whats wrong with the seats? I thought 63 pleats ran front to back same as a 64. May be a little wide and stitched but i myself like that look better than factory and most will last longer.

ddub
03-06-2015, 05:36 PM
It is sold.