Remembering March 4th 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering March 4th 1966

Hard to believe, but it was 49 years ago today that President Gordon Grundy to our Staff, and myself to the Media had to make that dreaded announcement that Studebaker would no longer build automobiles.

To me it still seems like yesterday. There were only about half a dozen of us who knew what we had to do just a few days earlier and it was tough sledding trying to keep working while keeping such a secret.

It will always be a memorable day for me.

Stu Chapman

We all wish it hadn't happened, and it's too bad it wasn't Burlingame who had to face the workers. That's a job he should have had to do. I'm just glad you're still able and willing to stay involved with those of us with this irrational love for Studebakers.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      We all wish it hadn't happened, and it's too bad it wasn't Burlingame who had to face the workers. That's a job he should have had to do. I'm just glad you're still able and willing to stay involved with those of us with this irrational love for Studebakers.
      In South Bend IIRC it was Roy Bender who told the staff. Bill Dredge had the job of advising the media.

Thank you for your kind comment. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
      X