No announcement yet.

Hello, first post and some info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, first post and some info needed.

Hello everybody, I am currently enrolled in an engineering program at my local college. I am trying to apply for a certain scholarship but I need your help. Here are the guidlines.

"Gary J. Lindstrom was one of the three Engineering Plan A graduates in the first DCC class in 1960. Mr. Lindstrom established this scholarship to honor his engineering education at DCC and his interest in Studebakers. The scholarship is for a full-time student studying engineering science who is a resident of Dutchess County and who writes an essay related to Studebaker motorized vehicles".

I am looking for some info that i can use to write an essay about studebakers. A little background info on me. I love old vehicles from there simplicity to there nostalgic feel. I currently own 2 vehicles. One is a 1984 mercedes 300d with 273,000 miles and the other is a 1978 chevrolet k20 pickup 5.7 th400. The mercedes was my first vehicle and one which i try to keep nice. I only drive it on dry days and it stays garaged over the winter until the salt is gone from the roads. The pickup was bought as a winter/ bad weather driver and also as a plow truck. About a year ago i converted it from a carburetor to throttle body injection in hopes of getting better fuel economy. I also had the idea of being able to tune the trucks motor via the ecm and my laptop. I bought all the chip burning equipment and made my own data logging cable and I modified the ecm to accept a re-writable computer chip that i can put different tunes on. I currently have a chip installed with the egr turned off because the original chip was designed for a motor with an egr and a little bump in fuel for the accelerator enrichment. Anyway I do not know anything about studebakers but now is my time to learn. From some of the pictures i looked at online i am digging the looks of some of these vehicles. Thanks

Welcome Joe, there is some good Historical info on the Studebaker National Museum Website that may be of help.
    Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

Gary Lindstrom is here on the SDC Forum and may be able to help.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My scholarship is broad in that you can write whatever you care to about Studebakers with motors/engines, not the horse drawn variety. It can be about a narrow area, for example someone wrote about R series engines, or a particular model, like the Avantis, or company history or personal connection, like a Studebaker that was in the family, or Dutchess County Studebaker dealerships, there were many. I did not want to make it narrow. I want the applicants to do some research on their own and write something original. The idea is to learn something about Studebakers.

Besides the facts, please check over your grammar and spelling. I believe that you are from Rhinebeck, per the new Forum member list. Last year's scholarship winner was from Red Hook. He was a part time mechanic (and a nice guy from a nice family). My best wishes to you. I would like to hand the scholarship to you in May.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There you go, from the benefactor, himself. Kudos to Gary and to the students that apply. I had an old German friend who never went far in school, but he made sure his daughter had every opportunity. He was trying to tell his friends how proud he was that she was a PHD candidate. They couldn't understand what a PHD meant. Will it get her a job? What will it do for her? I reminded him that nobody gets a PHD unless they have done some research that advances human knowledge. That is the task....advance our knowledge. That made him even more proud. Go for it.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          My scholarship is broad in that you can write whatever you care to about Studebakers with motors/engines, not the horse drawn variety. It can be about a narrow area, for example someone wrote about R series engines, or a particular model, like the Avantis, or company history or personal connection, like a Studebaker that was in the family, or Dutchess County Studebaker dealerships, there were many. I did not want to make it narrow. I want the applicants to do some research on their own and write something original. The idea is to learn something about Studebakers.

Besides the facts, please check over your grammar and spelling. I believe that you are from Rhinebeck, per the new Forum member list. Last year's scholarship winner was from Red Hook. He was a part time mechanic (and a nice guy from a nice family). My best wishes to you. I would like to hand the scholarship to you in May.
          Thanks for the tips. Its amazing to meet the man himself. I actually currently live in red hook.

Comment

Joe,
            Might I suggest you look into Studebaker's contributions during World War II? The trucks sent to Russia really helped. If you need some editing help, let me know. I used to teach English.

Comment

Threads like this one make me feel pretty danged good about this Forum

Joe, welcome - you're among friends!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                Threads like this one make me feel pretty danged good about this Forum

Joe, welcome - you're among friends!
                Thanks showbizkid, I am actually currently writing my essay now. It looks like in order for me to submit my essay it has to be 500 words or less. That is actually pretty tough. I am already up to 400 words and i feel like i have not even said much. I always nice to find a new forum with friendly people.

Comment

Originally posted by drpreposterous View Post
                  Joe,
                  Might I suggest you look into Studebaker's contributions during World War II? The trucks sent to Russia really helped. If you need some editing help, let me know. I used to teach English.
                  I did not even see that you posted this. My essay is actually about the Studebaker US6 trucks sent out to our troops. If i finish the essay tonight i might send you a copy. It is due on friday so kind of short notice.

Comment

welcome! if you haven't, check the advanced search here on the forum. and yes, as Mr. L said, watch your spelling and grammar, especially if he has a say in who gets the award!

and remember "there and their" won't be caught on spell check. review and edit when necessary.

good luck!
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Fortunately, with the huge number of Studebaker enthusiasts in the world, and the ability of anyone to contribute to and resource "the net" or "the cloud", the information you need must no longer come from the on your shelf in the dining room, or your local public library. Just ask "the cloud" a question. But, examine, interpret and explain. If there's a quote, cite the source.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I'm still in education teaching high school and its great to see engineering people getting to know about Studebakers! My youngest daughter graduated last May from Milwaukee School of Engineering, though her bachelors was in Architectural Engineering and her master's was in Structural Engineering. She knows about Avantis as I have two at home. Good luck with you research of Studebaker and with the scholarship application.

Gary, thank you for striving to keep Studebakers out there so our soon to be engineers can be aware of the company and the many years of fine products that they produced.

For the questions about what a phd means: Long ago, when I was in college, the initials were explained this way:

Bachelor of Science - B.S. - Bull S_ _ _
                        Master's Degre - M.S. - More of the same
                        Doctorate or PhD - Piled higher and deeper!
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

LOL. I like those explanations. My Canadian LL.B. (another bachelor's degree) is the equivalent of the U.S. J.D. (a doctorate) - not all universes of discourse agree. As for grades, I was told A students become Law Professors, B students become judges and C students make the most money.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks guys for the warm welcome

Comment

It may be too late but since you own a Mercedes, were you aware of the affiliation of Studebaker and Mercedes in the 50s? You bought your Mercedes at a Studebaker dealership back then. Even if you don't use it for the essay, It should be interesting enough for you to look up. The internet is so much easier than the library.
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X