PDA

View Full Version : 63r2214

Stude Rookie
03-03-2015, 01:34 PM
I would like to introduce you to my 1963 Avanti. She was "RESTORED" by one Mr. John McCall over a long period of time. Mr. McCall formerly lived in Grandview Mo. and worked for Mr. Don Armacost in his restoration shop. R2214 required a new top, new door and a partial left quarter, and a new drivers seat. I supplied NOS parts as well as extras to complete her restoration. Several years ago John ceased working for Mr. Armacost and moved out of state. I finally got my Avanti home after much wrangling. John apparently thought that she looked better in her current state of dress as all of her usable parts were taken off. She doesn't look too good this way does she? If you know Mr. McCall, he sometimes vends antique Studebaker parts along with family members, please remind him that the SDC does not tolerate thieves and the missing parts from Avanti 63R2214 might be considered as such if they are not returned to their rightful owner. I did retain possession of the engine and transmission. Thanks, if you can help.
Stude Rookie.41665416664166741668416694167041671

starliner62
03-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Oh my goodness. I really don't know what to say. I wish you the best of luck...

hausdok
03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Whew!

Looks like, besides making the car look better in his eyes, the sales of parts from your car probably helped someone pay his bills. Is this gentelman currently a vendor at York or on the swap page or TW? If so, we're probably going to have to delete this thread?

StudeRich
03-03-2015, 02:26 PM
That's terrible, it now looks like it would be a much better Parts Car than a "Builder". :ohmy: :mad:

Very sorry to hear that. :(

You might find this interesting:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?86771-Turquoise-Avanti-upholstery-or-vinyl-at-York

In Post #8, Mr. Stratton got ripped almost as bad as you did, somewhere else and probably by a different individual, but who knows.

Stude Rookie
03-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Whew!

Looks like, besides making the car look better in his eyes, the sales of parts from your car probably helped someone pay his bills. Is this gentelman currently a vendor at York or on the swap page or TW? If so, we're probably going to have to delete this thread?

He may or may not be a vendor at York at this time. I believe his new home base is in Ohio but his parents live in an upper east coast state, Connecticut maybe. Please explain why this post would have to be deleted. I do not understand.
Stude Rookie

Stude Rookie
03-03-2015, 04:16 PM
That's terrible, it now looks like it would be a much better Parts Car than a "Builder". :ohmy: :mad:

Very sorry to hear that. :(

You might find this interesting:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?86771-Turquoise-Avanti-upholstery-or-vinyl-at-York

In Post #8, Mr. Stratton got ripped almost as bad as you did, somewhere else and probably by a different individual, but who knows.

StudeRich, thanks for the input. I suppose there are some people who would buy from less than ethical sellers.

unclemiltie
03-03-2015, 04:23 PM
If you are a member of SDC I suggest you contact Robert Halgren as I believe he handles such issues for SDC

junior
03-03-2015, 04:31 PM
The way you have presented the facts would suggest this is a police matter...are they able help out?

studegary
03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
If you are a member of SDC I suggest you contact Robert Halgren as I believe he handles such issues for SDC

That would only apply if the transaction was due to something in SDC, like an advertisement in "Turning Wheels".

DEEPNHOCK
03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?76265-SDC-Forum-Policies-and-Terms-of-Service

Discussion and Conduct Policy:

Disputes or personal issues with vendors or other Forum members are not to be discussed on this Forum. Doing so will result in the discussion being locked or deleted at the Administrator's or Moderator's discretion.

Stude Rookie
03-03-2015, 07:16 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?76265-SDC-Forum-Policies-and-Terms-of-Service

Discussion and Conduct Policy:

Disputes or personal issues with vendors or other Forum members are not to be discussed on this Forum. Doing so will result in the discussion being locked or deleted at the Administrator's or Moderator's discretion.

DEEPNHOCK if this thread has offended anyone, I apologize. I do not know the Administrator or the Moderator but if they feel the need to end this thread, then let it be so. I am a 70 year old Marine and VietNam vet. Mr. Charles took a bigger bite out of me than a little hand slap so not to worry, I will not cry. I was merely trying to inform forum members of possible misbehavior.
Stude Rookie

jclary
03-03-2015, 07:31 PM
This would be an entertaining Judge Judy case...'cept her maximum award is only five grand.

I hate to see such reports. For the most part, my experience with fellow SDC members has been very positive. However, we are not perfect, and situations like this are important to keep us aware that we must be alert to those inclined to misbehave. I know of one, once well respected member, that fell into misfortune, disappointed his customers, and ruined his dependable reputation. It is sad.

It is one reason, I've done my best, to do most of my work. That way, I only have to look in a mirror to chew out the sorry fella doing shoddy work on my restoration.

DEEPNHOCK
03-03-2015, 07:39 PM
I was not, and am not, offended.
Just pointing out that there are forum rules, and shared the rule with you.
If your post had 'just disappeared', you might not have known why.
I am not a moderator (nor want to be), so I have no say in the matter.

DEEPNHOCK if this thread has offended anyone, I apologize. I do not know the Administrator or the Moderator but if they feel the need to end this thread, then let it be so. I am a 70 year old Marine and VietNam vet. Mr. Charles took a bigger bite out of me than a little hand slap so not to worry, I will not cry. I was merely trying to inform forum members of possible misbehavior.
Stude Rookie

5brown1
03-03-2015, 08:24 PM
What makes one a "vendor" - paying for a table at a swap meet? How do you know if the individual who rips you off is a forum member? When individuals exhibit unprofessional and/or unlawful behavior and rip others off by taking money and not providing the items and services promised, not just once but over and over, as this individual has, the membership has a right to be warned. This is not the first time this name and questionable circumstance have appeared together. I hope there is some legal action to follow to stop this. Unfortunately, as he probably has no resources, the value of the parts is likely lost.
Certainly, there are many in the Studebaker community who know about this behavior. I don't understand why it is tolerated.
The only way I can think of to help is to boycott his products and prohibit vending at Studebaker meets until Stude Rookie has been made whole.

rkapteyn
03-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Just do a google search for John McCall and you will find many good comments but also very bad comments on John.
He has done some very unprofessional dealings with people and is banned from advertising by some clubs.
Robert Kapteyn

Indyted
03-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Did he charge you an arm and a leg for his "services"?

The condition of your car really depresses me.

Stude Rookie
03-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I was not, and am not, offended.
Just pointing out that there are forum rules, and shared the rule with you.
If your post had 'just disappeared', you might not have known why.
I am not a moderator (nor want to be), so I have no say in the matter.

You are quite right DEEPNHOCK. Thank you for the education.
Stude Rookie

Stude Rookie
03-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Just do a google search for John McCall and you will find many good comments but also very bad comments on John.
He has done some very unprofessional dealings with people and is banned from advertising by some clubs.
Robert Kapteyn

John McCall's story is truly a sad one. I have known John since he was a young man. He is truly a talented individual and has the capability to do fine restoration work. It is unfortunate he has chosen to misuse his abilities.
Stude Rookie

Stude Rookie
03-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Did he charge you an arm and a leg for his "services"?

The condition of your car really depresses me.

Me Too!!!
Stude Rookie

karterfred88
03-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Looks like the car was in a fire to me, judging from the melted material inside the upper windshield header, visors and right door interior panel. Was it burnt before you dropped off??

PackardV8
03-04-2015, 01:28 PM
John McCall's story is truly a sad one. I have known John since he was a young man. He is truly a talented individual and has the capability to do fine restoration work. It is unfortunate he has chosen to misuse his abilities.
Stude Rookie

It's not necessarily anything in common with the following, but again, maybe it's the paint fumes. I know an auto paint and body guy who's bi-polar. When he's up, he's amazingly talented, and the world's greatest salesman. He'll work almost non-stop for days and complete an entire car. If he begins one on a down swing, the parts get lost, sold, stolen, damaged and he'll be gone for weeks or months. When he returns, it's like he never saw the project car and wants nothing to do with it or the owner. He moves to a different shop or a different town and works. Several owners are literally ruined by his actions over the years, but he has no assets and will never be able to make restitution. Moral of the story, get lots of references and check in person weekly. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

Stude Rookie
03-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Looks like the car was in a fire to me, judging from the melted material inside the upper windshield header, visors and right door interior panel. Was it burnt before you dropped off??

Yes , the car had an engine fire prior to me owning. I also purchased a new firewall. Gone too.
Stude Rookie

Stude Rookie
03-04-2015, 04:15 PM
It's not necessarily anything in common with the following, but again, maybe it's the paint fumes. I know an auto paint and body guy who's bi-polar. When he's up, he's amazingly talented, and the world's greatest salesman. He'll work almost non-stop for days and complete an entire car. If he begins one on a down swing, the parts get lost, sold, stolen, damaged and he'll be gone for weeks or months. When he returns, it's like he never saw the project car and wants nothing to do with it or the owner. He moves to a different shop or a different town and works. Several owners are literally ruined by his actions over the years, but he has no assets and will never be able to make restitution. Moral of the story, get lots of references and check in person weekly. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

Jack I knew this guy since he graduated from McPherson college and went to work for Mr. Armacost in his repair shop. He was one of the initial restorers hired by Mr. Armacost. He worked for him many years. I introduced him to his former wife when they were both youngsters. A few years ago life must have soured. John left his job, divorced his wife and left the state.
Stude Rookie

qsanford
03-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Is this the same individual who was reproducing the rubber floor mats? I hope not since I was hoping to buy a set of his mats.

Stude Rookie
03-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Is this the same individual who was reproducing the rubber floor mats? I hope not since I was hoping to buy a set of his mats.

John was reproducing rubber parts when he worked for Mr. Armacost. I do not know if he still does this kind of work on his own but as I stated before, John McCall is a very talented individual. You must spend your money as you see fit.
Stude Rookie

prescottstude
03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
good afternoon am very sorry to see what happened to you I know of an Avanti in Arizona that is for sale looks like a pretty decent one R1 with a/c powershift tourquoise /blue exterior..price seems very fair to me..if interested,just post that your are and I will get you the contact info I already have 2 Avantis and am around your age..us youngsters have to stick together...wishing you much better luck in the future todd

swvalcon
03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Stude Rookie Sorry to see what has happened to your car. I do restoration work and things like this just piss me off. It gives all the good guy's a bad name as well.

Stude Rookie
03-05-2015, 08:14 PM
good afternoon am very sorry to see what happened to you I know of an Avanti in Arizona that is for sale looks like a pretty decent one R1 with a/c powershift tourquoise /blue exterior..price seems very fair to me..if interested,just post that your are and I will get you the contact info I already have 2 Avantis and am around your age..us youngsters have to stick together...wishing you much better luck in the future todd

Thank you Sir. I am concentrating on my 54 Starliner at this time but I appreciate your offer to help. there are some pictures of the ongoing restoration in my profile.
Stude Rookie

Stude Rookie
03-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Stude Rookie Sorry to see what has happened to your car. I do restoration work and things like this just piss me off. It gives all the good guy's a bad name as well.

I am an optimist. I believe that the honest good guys work and reputations will not be brought down by individuals of questionable ethics such as I have encountered. It should make every decent individual angry and unwilling to associate with these types, as they bring down the whole SDC with their behavior.
Stude Rookie