PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Packard production order curosities

Studebaker Wheel
03-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Was perusing the '57 Packard production orders while looking up one for a current owner. The p.o.'s that always stand out are those that have a lot of options and accessories. Noted in particular a curious fact in the large number of 57L's that were shipped to Caracas, Venezuela? And almost every one was loaded with nearly every possible accessory. Seems also that every car shipped overseas included a pint of paint of each color on the car, presumably to touch up any minor damage incurred in transit. Also noted more that a few Packards sent to Cuba. The P8 wagon (2nd image) was somewhat unusual in that it was not equipped with air whereas most had the option. Odds are good that the car has survived. I only examined a few hundred but always find these to be interesting and sometimes confusing.

Bill Pressler
03-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Richard, on only a semi-related subject, if by chance you stumble across a production order with "Greenville, PA" as the destination, please let me know! My dealer friend, Carl E. Filer, claims they never sold a 'Packardbaker', but you know sometimes how almost sixty years and memory works! I know that one went to "East Greenville, PA"--I've seen the car--but "East Greenville" is way on the other side of the state from Greenville! Thanks.

stude dude
03-03-2015, 08:48 AM
As a general observation, many South Bend built cars for export were shipped with a pint of paint, low compression (70) heads and dry battery. I don't believe air conditioning was available on wagons until 1959. It was interesting to note that the spare was omitted from that very well optioned sedan!

Chris.