PDA

View Full Version : Raymond Loewy helped design a what?

sirbum
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Well, as I sometimes do, it's fun to check eBay for all the cool Studes and, occasionally, others (makes). Encompassed within the makes/models to peruse at the bottom of the list of choices is "OTHER". Here, of course, are cars that are to numerous, limited, odd, or just plain forgotten. One can sometimes find Avantis or a Rambler, I even saw a great-looking Diamond-T truck! Anyway, there exists a listing for a car called a SINGER. It caught my eye, and so I read the description. THEN I READ THAT THIS CAR BODY STYLE WAS ASSISTED IN DESIGN BY RAYMOND LOEWY. WOW! Who knew? We all know about Studebaker involvement with Mercedes Benz, but a British connection? There is a good write-up about this particular car. To find it, look for the only Singer in the list of "Others", or the item number is 110190165661. Are there other attributes of auto design which Mr. Loewy had a hand in? I think I read somewhere that he offered design work for farm tractors, but memory escapes me about what maker that was. Interesting stuff to be sure.

poppopstude
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
he designed the hillman minx. and of couse his hand in corvair and camaro

poppopstude
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Studedude1961
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Raymond Loewy was an independent designer who worked on and off under contract with Studebaker, but he designed for several different automakers. He and his company designed everything from cream separators to Skylab. His daughter Laurance Loewy now heads her father's company. The Singer on Ebay does definitely contain some Studebaker styling cues. Of note: Loewy was much more of a design salesman than he was an actual hands-on designer.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Studedude1961
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Raymond Loewy was an independent designer who worked on and off under contract with Studebaker, but he designed for several different automakers. He and his company designed everything from cream separators to Skylab. His daughter Laurance Loewy now heads her father's company. The Singer on Ebay does definitely contain some Studebaker styling cues. Of note: Loewy was much more of a design salesman than he was an actual hands-on designer.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Chris Pile
11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
He designed a very nice 30's Hupmobile - the design is similar to the '34 Studebaker.

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

Chris Pile
11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
He designed a very nice 30's Hupmobile - the design is similar to the '34 Studebaker.

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

sirbum
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Hmmm, that Singer is gone. Probably found a new home. At least its a chance for another piece of rolling history to not be crushed, sold as scrap iron to China and come back as a tainted import.

sirbum
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Hmmm, that Singer is gone. Probably found a new home. At least its a chance for another piece of rolling history to not be crushed, sold as scrap iron to China and come back as a tainted import.

Avantidon
11-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Raymond Loewy's first car designs in the US were indeed Hupmobiles in the late 20. He started designing interiors for them in 1927 or 28. And as I like to say the rest is history for the Leonardo D'Venchie of the 20th Centruy

See you in the future as I write about our past

Avantidon
11-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Raymond Loewy's first car designs in the US were indeed Hupmobiles in the late 20. He started designing interiors for them in 1927 or 28. And as I like to say the rest is history for the Leonardo D'Venchie of the 20th Centruy

Chris Pile
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Raymond Loewy was a genius, but he only designed beautiful and functional objects - he was not an inventor.

Leonardo da Vinci not only invented, but also served as a artist, musician, teacher, botanist, poet, and engineer.
His work still influences the fields of anatomy, civil engineering, optics, and hydrodynamics.
The phrase "Renaissance Man" means "Universal Genius", which the esteemed Raymond Loewy doesn't measure up to.

(it was a nice sentiment though, Avantidon)

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

Chris Pile
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Raymond Loewy was a genius, but he only designed beautiful and functional objects - he was not an inventor.

Leonardo da Vinci not only invented, but also served as a artist, musician, teacher, botanist, poet, and engineer.
His work still influences the fields of anatomy, civil engineering, optics, and hydrodynamics.
The phrase "Renaissance Man" means "Universal Genius", which the esteemed Raymond Loewy doesn't measure up to.

(it was a nice sentiment though, Avantidon)

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

Roscomacaw
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Nice to know you found a home for it, Mike - er sirbum.

Roscomacaw
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Nice to know you found a home for it, Mike - er sirbum.

PalmerGA
11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by poppopstude

Not to mention, a ton of other stuff we see (or used to see) everyday...
http://www.raymondloewy.com/exhibit/pdf/planestrains.pdf?id=3509

Jim Palmer
Sasser, GA

PalmerGA
11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by poppopstude

Not to mention, a ton of other stuff we see (or used to see) everyday...
http://www.raymondloewy.com/exhibit/pdf/planestrains.pdf?id=3509

Jim Palmer
Sasser, GA

dictator27
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
The Singer Gazelle used the same body as the Hillman Minx, but was a more upscale.

Terry

dictator27
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
The Singer Gazelle used the same body as the Hillman Minx, but was a more upscale.

Terry

Avantidon
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Chris, I believe a perso who touches every aspect of our life with things he has tinkered with is not only a genius but someone worthy of a tilte such as i stated earlier. Yes, he did not write music but he tinkered with it by designing jukeboxe and other things. As for being a botatinast he was not but he was the one who put flower vases in the interior of the Hupmobile. He was a teacher not in aspect of da Vinci but ask those who worked for him in the Loewy/Snaith Studios in NYC, and many are still alive and they will tell you otherwise. We can go on and on but lets leave it where it is. Want a great stop on your trip east next fall to the 44th International Meet? Stop in Roanoke VA and visit the former Norfolk and Western Passenger Terminal, which by the way is a Loewy designed building and view the Loewy Gallery and then tour the O. Winston Link gallery and see the genius of both men.

Avantidon
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Chris, I believe a perso who touches every aspect of our life with things he has tinkered with is not only a genius but someone worthy of a tilte such as i stated earlier. Yes, he did not write music but he tinkered with it by designing jukeboxe and other things. As for being a botatinast he was not but he was the one who put flower vases in the interior of the Hupmobile. He was a teacher not in aspect of da Vinci but ask those who worked for him in the Loewy/Snaith Studios in NYC, and many are still alive and they will tell you otherwise. We can go on and on but lets leave it where it is. Want a great stop on your trip east next fall to the 44th International Meet? Stop in Roanoke VA and visit the former Norfolk and Western Passenger Terminal, which by the way is a Loewy designed building and view the Loewy Gallery and then tour the O. Winston Link gallery and see the genius of both men.

studegary
11-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I have written corrections to Loewy's daughter's web site and they don't even bother to respond. Things like labeling an Avanti as a 1962 and attributing a Coke bottle's shape to Loewy (He designed a counter dispenser for Coke, not the bottle.).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studegary
11-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I have written corrections to Loewy's daughter's web site and they don't even bother to respond. Things like labeling an Avanti as a 1962 and attributing a Coke bottle's shape to Loewy (He designed a counter dispenser for Coke, not the bottle.).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

wally
11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
From the articles I've read about Loewy's work, it seems that He was the Front Man for his company, which produced design work for all sorts of consumer products--appliances, etc. Those who know Studebakers give Bob Bourke the credit for the styling of those cars.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

wally
11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
From the articles I've read about Loewy's work, it seems that He was the Front Man for his company, which produced design work for all sorts of consumer products--appliances, etc. Those who know Studebakers give Bob Bourke the credit for the styling of those cars.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Gary1953
11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
21 Posts
Posted - 11/07/2007 : 1:04:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been around Studebakers a long time and have read a lot about Raymond Loewys work. I do not remember reading anything about his involvement in the Corvair or Camaro. Can you tell me where you saw the above.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/011_11-1.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Gary1953
11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
21 Posts
Posted - 11/07/2007 : 1:04:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been around Studebakers a long time and have read a lot about Raymond Loewys work. I do not remember reading anything about his involvement in the Corvair or Camaro. Can you tell me where you saw the above.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/011_11-1.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Avantidon
11-09-2007, 08:19 AM
If you really wnat to know about Raymnd Loewy and look at over 50% of his personal papers and materials join the Hagley Museum and visit their research center where his documents reside. You will be amazed at what you will see and find. Contrary to what some might think, Raymond Loewy did indeed have a hand in the design of COKE BOTTLES. Hus work was on the 10 ounce and larger bottles not on the original 6.5 OZ. bottle. Being raised in the Coke bottling business and having delved into Loewy's documents at the Hagley you will see these. Yes, he also designed the Coke Fountain Dispensers that some of us remember as kids at the local lunch counters in the 50's and 60's. Oops I guess I'm showing my age. The Hagley Museum is one of the best industrial design museums in the country and is located on the original DuPont Powder Works grounds in Wilmington DE. This museum is only about a 11/2 hour ride from the site of the 44th Annual SDC INternational Meet in Lancaster PA next fall and is well worht a visit. Just so happens that the Hag;ey's own car show is the weekend that the national meet ends and would be a fitting conclusion to a visit ti the Northeast. This show draws in excess of a 1,000 cars each year and is held on the grounds of the old powder works.

Avantidon
11-09-2007, 08:19 AM
If you really wnat to know about Raymnd Loewy and look at over 50% of his personal papers and materials join the Hagley Museum and visit their research center where his documents reside. You will be amazed at what you will see and find. Contrary to what some might think, Raymond Loewy did indeed have a hand in the design of COKE BOTTLES. Hus work was on the 10 ounce and larger bottles not on the original 6.5 OZ. bottle. Being raised in the Coke bottling business and having delved into Loewy's documents at the Hagley you will see these. Yes, he also designed the Coke Fountain Dispensers that some of us remember as kids at the local lunch counters in the 50's and 60's. Oops I guess I'm showing my age. The Hagley Museum is one of the best industrial design museums in the country and is located on the original DuPont Powder Works grounds in Wilmington DE. This museum is only about a 11/2 hour ride from the site of the 44th Annual SDC INternational Meet in Lancaster PA next fall and is well worht a visit. Just so happens that the Hag;ey's own car show is the weekend that the national meet ends and would be a fitting conclusion to a visit ti the Northeast. This show draws in excess of a 1,000 cars each year and is held on the grounds of the old powder works.

DEEPNHOCK
11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Then they were correct in that 1962 was the conception day, and not the birth day....;)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

DEEPNHOCK
11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Then they were correct in that 1962 was the conception day, and not the birth day....;)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968