No announcement yet.

Axle flange gasket, yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Axle flange gasket, yes or no?

I'm doing a brake job and replacing the felt washers on my 1963 Avanti. For installation of the backing plate, etc. I am following what I found on Bob Johnstone's information site dealing with the rear axle (http://www.studebaker-info.org/64v2488/Axle/ax.HTML). The instructions call for gluing a thin paper gasket on the ends of the axle flange and installing the backing plate over that. My car did not have gaskets on the ends of the axle flanges. It seems to me that the thin paper gaskets may upset the end-play in the axles, as they are, in effect, thin shims. The left assembly is complete to the point where I am ready to torque the axle nut. My question is: Do I need to pull that apart and remove the thin paper gasket on the axle flange? Thanks.

Just set the end play when you are finished. The paper is pretty much non compressible, so there is no need to worry about it. But you may have to change the number of shims when you set the end play.

Remember that both rear wheels have to be off the ground when setting end play.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-27-2015, 06:48 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The car is on jack stands, but at the moment, the right hub and backing plate are off. I assume the right backing plate needs to be reinstalled before checking the end play in both axles.

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
        The car is on jack stands, but at the moment, the right hub and backing plate are off. I assume the right backing plate needs to be reinstalled before checking the end play in both axles.
        Checking the end play is done with both backing plates on and secured, but with both hub/drum assemblies off. Also, once upon a time I did try using a gasket between the axle flange and the backing plates. Some time later, when I was replacing the rear shoes and repacking the bearings, I found that my rear axle end play was off. Personally, I do think the gaskets can compress enough to make a difference in the end play. Those gaskets were not there from the factory, and I'm guessing that the aforementioned compressibility would have been the reason.

Feel free, however, to use the gaskets where they really belong: One on each side of the reinforcement plate on the outer side of each backing plate.

Larry

Comment

I answered my own question. When I got both backing plates on, I checked the end play on the left axle, where I had installed the 1/64" paper gasket on the axle flange, and found 0.016" of play. Aha, I said, the gasket does make a difference. I pulled the backing plate, remove the gasket, and checked the end play, finding 0.015" So I was wrong. The 1/64" gasket does not seem to affect end play. Now to remove an 0.010" shim from the right axle.

Comment

Have you consulted the Shop Manual about end play adjustment?
            I only mention that because this is not the recommended method. The Axle end play is only measured and adjusted from the right side after buttoning up the Left and bumping the axle to the left.

Left side end play measurement should tell you nothing. Only the Right side matters and gets the shims.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The shop manual is a little confusing and rather sparse about end play. It doesn't show paper gaskets, as your reference to Bobs site does.
              Button up the left side completely with or without paper gaskets. No shims. Correct torque, complete. You shouldn't need to get into it again.
              When you are doing the left side, allow the backing plate to push the bearing race into place.
              DO NOT do anything about end play on the left side.
              On the right side, button it up completely, with or without paper gaskets and shims. Allow the backing plate to push the bearing race into place.
              Bump the right axle shaft to move both axles tight against the left axle race.
              End play is the measurement between the right bearing and the right bearing race only. This is why you let the backing plates push the races into place.
              THEN check end play on the right side only.
              Decide what shims are needed, remove the right backing plate, remove or install shims.
              PULL THE BEARING RACE slightly back out of the axle housing,then let the backing plate push the race back in to it's new location.
              Button the right side up completely, bump the axle and check end play again.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Have you consulted the Shop Manual about end play adjustment?
                I only mention that because this is not the recommended method. The Axle end play is only measured and adjusted from the right side after buttoning up the Left and bumping the axle to the left.

Left side end play measurement should tell you nothing. Only the Right side matters and gets the shims.

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                  The shop manual is a little confusing and rather sparse about end play. It doesn't show paper gaskets, as your reference to Bobs site does.
                  Button up the left side completely with or without paper gaskets. No shims. Correct torque, complete. You shouldn't need to get into it again.
                  When you are doing the left side, allow the backing plate to push the bearing race into place.
                  DO NOT do anything about end play on the left side.
                  On the right side, button it up completely, with or without paper gaskets and shims. Allow the backing plate to push the bearing race into place.
                  Bump the right axle shaft to move both axles tight against the left axle race.
                  End play is the measurement between the right bearing and the right bearing race only. This is why you let the backing plates push the races into place.
                  THEN check end play on the right side only.
                  Decide what shims are needed, remove the right backing plate, remove or install shims.
                  PULL THE BEARING RACE slightly back out of the axle housing,then let the backing plate push the race back in to it's new location.
                  Button the right side up completely, bump the axle and check end play again.

Comment

Glue the paper gasket ?
                    The paper is only there to fill in minor imperfections between the metal parts. Help stop any leaks. Which it does admirable.
                    Gluing it may be a little overkill. Although it wouldn't hurt.
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I think I'll side with StudeRich
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Glue the paper gasket ?
                        The paper is only there to fill in minor imperfections between the metal parts. Help stop any leaks. Which it does admirable.
                        Gluing it may be a little overkill. Although it wouldn't hurt.
                        I initially used high-tack to glue the 1/64" paper gasket to the left axle flange tube before installing the left backing plate, but then I wondered if that approximately 0.016" gasket would affect axle end play. I measured end play with and without the left axle paper gasket and found that it did not affect end play, so I did not reinstall it in final assembly. After final assembly I found that axle end play exceeded specs, so I removed an 0.010" shim from the right axle tube flange and reassembled everything. Then end play on both the left and right axles measured approximately 0.0045" I'm not sure I would try putting a 1/64" paper gasket between the axle tube flange and the backing plate on the RIGHT side of the car, as this MIGHT affect axle end play, whereas the same gasket on the LEFT side did not.

Comment

I think I'll side with StudeRich
                          Look at Figure 5 of the REAR AXLE section of the shop manual before deciding to SIDE with anyone.

Comment

Check out the procedure shown on "raylinrestorations.com/Technicalpages/rearaxle/rearaxle.htm"
                            Sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste the link.
                            If you google "Dana 44 axle end play measurement" that link will come up.
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Check out the procedure shown on "raylinrestorations.com/Technicalpages/rearaxle/rearaxle.htm"
                              Sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste the link.
                              If you google "Dana 44 axle end play measurement" that link will come up.
                              OK, I reviewed the site your recommended. I see that the thin paper gasket will not affect axle end play, but the procedure also reinforces the fact that the shims on the right axle flange sets the end play for BOTH axles, which may be why the Avanti Workshop Manual shows the and play of the LEFT axle being measured. With both bearings seated, the end play on both axles must be the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X