Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker DRIVERS (?) Club comment...

Studebaker forum member Joe Hall's amazement that I use my Avanti for daily transportation, come what may, brought the following thought to mind..........

A recurring theme in the SDC is 'How do we get younger people involved with Studebaker cars and trucks'?.......I think that if young folks saw more Studebakers in daily use, like mine, instead of only seeing them at a summertime auto show, they'd become more interested in the marque......They'd 'relate' to Studebaker cars and trucks more if they saw them 'out there' on the street being USED.

To see a Studebaker owner 'fussing' over his car at an auto show, worried someone will lean on his pride and joy, leaves most kids 'cold'. (IMHO)

Remember club members, Harry Barnes founded the Studebaker DRIVERS Club to promote fellowship between Studebaker owners...AND KEEP STUDEBAKERS IN THE PUBLIC EYE AND REMEMBERED!!

(and the annual 'Drive Your Studebaker Day' wasn't exactly what Harry meant by 'driving'! ...... once again, 'in my opinion'.) Thanks for listening...SN-60

If you really are driving it every day, more power to you.
    Last edited by hausdok; 02-27-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Ed,
      We are fortunate in having the resources to keep more of our vehicles functioning than most of those half a century or more old.
      For decades I drove only Studebakers in Pennsylvania snow and salt. When I determined my most proficient daily driver needed to be a small pick-up truck, had I come upon a reasonable T-cab instead of an ideal '98 S-10, I would still be driving only Studebakers.
      Last year THE founding member of our chapter, Lee Reish, passed away. In his entire life he never owned anything but a Studebaker and, for at least the last two-dozen years, showed up at every event with his wife Thelma in their Studebaker Avanti, rain, snow or shine.
      I admit I, among most, are now reticent to take our restored pets out in to the elements but, there have been times when circumstances plot against our excursions. Same as a half-century ago, these travesties can be cleaned, washed away and/or repaired.
      Hiding them is counter-productive.
      I suspect, when folks saw me driving my '51 back from York a few years ago, being the first vehicle behind the salt truck coming over Seven Mountains, alternately moving in to the berm for traction, they may have been even more impressed than I was.
      An under-carriage wash and...problem solved.
      At my wake, don't say I kept a nice car in the garage.
      Last edited by rockne10; 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Not to change the subject Matt, but would you kindly PM me your current telephone number/email address? Thanks!
        Last edited by hausdok; 02-27-2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Whenever I have a Studebaker that is really road ready I drive it. If it is still a work in progress I drive as much as I am comfortable with and the weather will allow (I would drive it in the rain if my weatherseals were all good). If I had the money for a real daily driver I would drive it!
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Ed,
            We are fortunate in having the resources to keep more of our vehicles functioning than most of those half a century or more old.
            For decades I drove only Studebakers in Pennsylvania snow and salt. When I determined my most proficient daily driver needed to be a small pick-up truck, had I come upon a reasonable T-cab instead of an ideal '98 S-10, I would still be driving only Studebakers.
            Last year THE founding member of our chapter, Lee Reish, passed away. In his entire life he never owned anything but a Studebaker and, for at least the last two-dozen years, showed up at every event with his wife Thelma in their Avanti, rain, snow or shine.
            I admit I, among most, are now reticent to take our restored pets out in to the elements but, there have been times when circumstances plot against our excursions. Same as a half-century ago, these travesties can be cleaned, washed away and/or repaired.
            Hiding them is NEVER fun.
            Thanks very much for your reply. I own a couple Studes that rarely see even one drop of rain....but why not buy an 'average condition' Lark, Hawk, Avanti, or Studebaker truck and make a 'daily driver' out of it as I have done....'Show the flag' so to speak....It absolutely keeps these great cars in peoples thoughts....and, once again, younger 'gear heads' will see them......and hopefully become interested!
            Last edited by hausdok; 02-27-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Whenever I have a Studebaker that is really road ready I drive it. If it is still a work in progress I drive as much as I am comfortable with and the weather will allow (I would drive it in the rain if my weatherseals were all good). If I had the money for a real daily driver I would drive it!
              This is what I'm talking about!......Good for you Scott

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Remember club members, Harry Barnes founded the Studebaker DRIVERS Club to promote fellowship between Studebaker owners...
                AND KEEP STUDEBAKERS IN THE PUBLIC EYE AND REMEMBERED!!
                I do drive my Studes.

But I do have one question~

Why would Harry form a club in 1962 to 'remember' a make that was still being made,
                and would continue to be made four years AFTER the Club was formed?
                Last edited by hausdok; 02-27-2015, 08:17 PM.
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                  I don't really have a dog in this fight because I do drive my Studes.

But I do have one question~

Why would Harry form a club in 1962 to 'remember' a make that was still being made,
                  and would continue to be made four years AFTER the Club was formed?
                  Always good to read your insightful comments Dave! And you should know that dog fighting is ILLEGAL....ask Mike Vik!

Comment

My arms are both the same length.
                    I'll drive my Stude any damned time I want to (if the are running)

At shows, and kid (or pretty girl) that wants to sit in my Stude's can....
                    I want them to have as much fun with it as I have with it.

Weather matters not, and I see no need to gloat, or demean others that don't see it 'my' way.
                    That's one of the 10 commandments, isn't it?

We all are weak.
                    We all should be kind.
                    We all should use manners.

And this spring, some of us will have more spring cleaning to do.
                    That's all right.
                    We'll all be dead some day, too.
                    Spending time complaining about others is a wast of precious breath....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I own three Studebakers and one 1937 Oldsmoble. As much as I like to drive them due to insurance restrictions in my province I am restricted to firstly maintaining a at least one "non classic auto" in order to take advantage of favourable rates. I also wish only to drive in favourable conditions which in my part of the world relegates me to spring and summer driving. I have friends who drive their cars far more than I in more severe conditions however due to my limited mechanical capabilities and timidity to mechanical breakdowns I admit I drive my cars less than I could. I will keep this posting in mind and as the driving season in this area opens and make an attempt to expose my cars more often to make people aware of the Studebaker brand. I do neither support or oppose anyones comments on this post but suggest that we all make an attempt to drive our cherished autos more. I hate to take out my daily drivers in the snow and salt and attempt to wash and clean them as much as possible in these below freezing temperatures I am certainly not going to take out my Studes in this type of weather. I did not know Harry Barnes but I have seen film footage of 7 year old Studebakers driving aground with rust hole caused by exposure to salt. I do not think that Mr.Barnes would have wished the cars that have survived this long should be exposed to such severe elements as we have experienced this year. We are after all driving vehicles that are not being replaced on a yearly basis such as the so called big three marques. I respect everyones views I hope you respect mine.
                      Last edited by hausdok; 02-27-2015, 08:22 PM.
                      sigpic
                      55 President Deluxe
                      64 Commander
                      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Where I live there are so few Studes that if everyone decided to drive them every day, most still wouldn't see/notice them and their appearances would remain little more than rare oddities (which is the case with about ANY 50+ year old cars). Since I DO notice anything "dated" and/or unusual this is about the same with any cars of "our" vintage.

Like it or not, it is a rarity to see such old vehicles of any kind on the road regularly. And, yes, I HAVE driven a Stude as a daily driver for many years--in the past, but today?... no, it's not going to happen. The silly thing is that as of last year my first Avanti was still newer when I got it than my special-ordered C5 Vette is today. The latter has become the semi-daily driver I go to, when I want something "different." And, in truth, about as many people comment on and ask me about the Vette as do when I drive one of my Studebakers... In fact, the last comment I had when doing the latter was, "What a weird car. I see why they went bust." I joke you not! It will never be 1950 or 1960 again, no matter how much nor how often we drive our Studes!

Comment

One thing we do is keep a map of all the States that we have driven our 51 Commander too. We get so many comments from people!

Comment

Ed...
                            I was supporting your right to drive your car in the snow, wind, rain, smog, fog......
                            We should all drive our cars whenever and wherever we want to.
                            I posted the little video for entertainment. Just showing that if you drive them, stuff can happen.

Let's just have fun with our cars and not worry about what other people might say...
                            Last edited by hausdok; 02-27-2015, 08:27 PM.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              Always good to read your insightful comments Dave!
                              Thanks- my comments are intended to make the reader think a little bit.

I really wish there was an answer to my question though.
                              Oh well- it's not the first time, and it won't be the last...

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment