PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker DRIVERS (?) Club comment...

SN-60
02-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Studebaker forum member Joe Hall's amazement that I use my Avanti for daily transportation, come what may, brought the following thought to mind..........

A recurring theme in the SDC is 'How do we get younger people involved with Studebaker cars and trucks'?.......I think that if young folks saw more Studebakers in daily use, like mine, instead of only seeing them at a summertime auto show, they'd become more interested in the marque......They'd 'relate' to Studebaker cars and trucks more if they saw them 'out there' on the street being USED.

To see a Studebaker owner 'fussing' over his car at an auto show, worried someone will lean on his pride and joy, leaves most kids 'cold'. (IMHO)

Remember club members, Harry Barnes founded the Studebaker DRIVERS Club to promote fellowship between Studebaker owners...AND KEEP STUDEBAKERS IN THE PUBLIC EYE AND REMEMBERED!!

(and the annual 'Drive Your Studebaker Day' wasn't exactly what Harry meant by 'driving'! :whome:...... once again, 'in my opinion'.) Thanks for listening...SN-60 ;)

black56hawk
02-27-2015, 06:31 PM
If you really are driving it every day, more power to you.

rockne10
02-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Ed,
We are fortunate in having the resources to keep more of our vehicles functioning than most of those half a century or more old.
For decades I drove only Studebakers in Pennsylvania snow and salt. When I determined my most proficient daily driver needed to be a small pick-up truck, had I come upon a reasonable T-cab instead of an ideal '98 S-10, I would still be driving only Studebakers.
Last year THE founding member of our chapter, Lee Reish, passed away. In his entire life he never owned anything but a Studebaker and, for at least the last two-dozen years, showed up at every event with his wife Thelma in their Studebaker Avanti, rain, snow or shine.
I admit I, among most, are now reticent to take our restored pets out in to the elements but, there have been times when circumstances plot against our excursions. Same as a half-century ago, these travesties can be cleaned, washed away and/or repaired.
Hiding them is counter-productive.
I suspect, when folks saw me driving my '51 back from York a few years ago, being the first vehicle behind the salt truck coming over Seven Mountains, alternately moving in to the berm for traction, they may have been even more impressed than I was.
An under-carriage wash and...problem solved.
At my wake, don't say I kept a nice car in the garage.

SN-60
02-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Not to change the subject Matt, but would you kindly PM me your current telephone number/email address? Thanks!

Scott
02-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Whenever I have a Studebaker that is really road ready I drive it. If it is still a work in progress I drive as much as I am comfortable with and the weather will allow (I would drive it in the rain if my weatherseals were all good). If I had the money for a real daily driver I would drive it!

SN-60
02-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Ed,
We are fortunate in having the resources to keep more of our vehicles functioning than most of those half a century or more old.
For decades I drove only Studebakers in Pennsylvania snow and salt. When I determined my most proficient daily driver needed to be a small pick-up truck, had I come upon a reasonable T-cab instead of an ideal '98 S-10, I would still be driving only Studebakers.
Last year THE founding member of our chapter, Lee Reish, passed away. In his entire life he never owned anything but a Studebaker and, for at least the last two-dozen years, showed up at every event with his wife Thelma in their Avanti, rain, snow or shine.
I admit I, among most, are now reticent to take our restored pets out in to the elements but, there have been times when circumstances plot against our excursions. Same as a half-century ago, these travesties can be cleaned, washed away and/or repaired.
Hiding them is NEVER fun.

Thanks very much for your reply. I own a couple Studes that rarely see even one drop of rain....but why not buy an 'average condition' Lark, Hawk, Avanti, or Studebaker truck and make a 'daily driver' out of it as I have done....'Show the flag' so to speak....It absolutely keeps these great cars in peoples thoughts....and, once again, younger 'gear heads' will see them......and hopefully become interested!

SN-60
02-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Whenever I have a Studebaker that is really road ready I drive it. If it is still a work in progress I drive as much as I am comfortable with and the weather will allow (I would drive it in the rain if my weatherseals were all good). If I had the money for a real daily driver I would drive it!

This is what I'm talking about!......Good for you Scott :!:

StudeDave57
02-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Remember club members, Harry Barnes founded the Studebaker DRIVERS Club to promote fellowship between Studebaker owners...
AND KEEP STUDEBAKERS IN THE PUBLIC EYE AND REMEMBERED!!

I do drive my Studes.

But I do have one question~

Why would Harry form a club in 1962 to 'remember' a make that was still being made,
and would continue to be made four years AFTER the Club was formed?

SN-60
02-27-2015, 07:16 PM
I don't really have a dog in this fight because I do drive my Studes.

But I do have one question~

Why would Harry form a club in 1962 to 'remember' a make that was still being made,
and would continue to be made four years AFTER the Club was formed?

Always good to read your insightful comments Dave! And you should know that dog fighting is ILLEGAL....ask Mike Vik!

DEEPNHOCK
02-27-2015, 07:25 PM
My arms are both the same length.
I'll drive my Stude any damned time I want to (if the are running:whome:)

At shows, and kid (or pretty girl) that wants to sit in my Stude's can....
I want them to have as much fun with it as I have with it.

Weather matters not, and I see no need to gloat, or demean others that don't see it 'my' way.
That's one of the 10 commandments, isn't it?

We all are weak.
We all should be kind.
We all should use manners.

And this spring, some of us will have more spring cleaning to do.
That's all right.
We'll all be dead some day, too.
Spending time complaining about others is a wast of precious breath....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLWsBB-1oc

2moredoors
02-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I own three Studebakers and one 1937 Oldsmoble. As much as I like to drive them due to insurance restrictions in my province I am restricted to firstly maintaining a at least one "non classic auto" in order to take advantage of favourable rates. I also wish only to drive in favourable conditions which in my part of the world relegates me to spring and summer driving. I have friends who drive their cars far more than I in more severe conditions however due to my limited mechanical capabilities and timidity to mechanical breakdowns I admit I drive my cars less than I could. I will keep this posting in mind and as the driving season in this area opens and make an attempt to expose my cars more often to make people aware of the Studebaker brand. I do neither support or oppose anyones comments on this post but suggest that we all make an attempt to drive our cherished autos more. I hate to take out my daily drivers in the snow and salt and attempt to wash and clean them as much as possible in these below freezing temperatures I am certainly not going to take out my Studes in this type of weather. I did not know Harry Barnes but I have seen film footage of 7 year old Studebakers driving aground with rust hole caused by exposure to salt. I do not think that Mr.Barnes would have wished the cars that have survived this long should be exposed to such severe elements as we have experienced this year. We are after all driving vehicles that are not being replaced on a yearly basis such as the so called big three marques. I respect everyones views I hope you respect mine.

Xcalibur
02-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Where I live there are so few Studes that if everyone decided to drive them every day, most still wouldn't see/notice them and their appearances would remain little more than rare oddities (which is the case with about ANY 50+ year old cars). Since I DO notice anything "dated" and/or unusual this is about the same with any cars of "our" vintage.

Like it or not, it is a rarity to see such old vehicles of any kind on the road regularly. And, yes, I HAVE driven a Stude as a daily driver for many years--in the past, but today?... no, it's not going to happen. The silly thing is that as of last year my first Avanti was still newer when I got it than my special-ordered C5 Vette is today. The latter has become the semi-daily driver I go to, when I want something "different." And, in truth, about as many people comment on and ask me about the Vette as do when I drive one of my Studebakers... In fact, the last comment I had when doing the latter was, "What a weird car. I see why they went bust." I joke you not! It will never be 1950 or 1960 again, no matter how much nor how often we drive our Studes!

wayne
02-27-2015, 07:49 PM
One thing we do is keep a map of all the States that we have driven our 51 Commander too. We get so many comments from people!

DEEPNHOCK
02-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Ed...
I was supporting your right to drive your car in the snow, wind, rain, smog, fog......
We should all drive our cars whenever and wherever we want to.
I posted the little video for entertainment. Just showing that if you drive them, stuff can happen.

Let's just have fun with our cars and not worry about what other people might say...

StudeDave57
02-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Always good to read your insightful comments Dave!

Thanks- my comments are intended to make the reader think a little bit.

I really wish there was an answer to my question though.
Oh well- it's not the first time, and it won't be the last... :(

StudeDave '57 :cool:

8E45E
02-27-2015, 08:02 PM
We already know what happens when someone misbehaves in class!! ;)

Craig

SN-60
02-27-2015, 08:02 PM
I own three Studebakers and one 1937 Oldsmoble. As much as I like to drive them due to insurance restrictions in my province I am restricted to firstly maintaining a at least one "non classic auto" in order to take advantage of favourable rates. I also wish only to drive in favourable conditions which in my part of the world relegates me to spring and summer driving. I have friends who drive their cars far more than I in more severe conditions however due to my limited mechanical capabilities and timidity to mechanical breakdowns I admit I drive my cars less than I could. I will keep this posting in mind and as the driving season in this area opens and make an attempt to expose my cars more often to make people aware of the Studebaker brand. I do neither support or oppose anyones comments on this post but suggest that we all make an attempt to drive our cherished autos more. I hate to take out my daily drivers in the snow and salt and attempt to wash and clean them as much as possible in these below freezing temperatures I am certainly not going to take out my Studes in this type of weather "staged" or otherwise. I did not know Harry Barnes but I have seen film footage of 7 year old Studebakers driving aground with rust hole caused by exposure to salt. I do not think that Mr.Barnes would have wished the cars that have survived this long should be exposed to such severe elements as we have experienced this year. We are after all driving vehicles that are not being replaced on a yearly basis such as the so called big three marques. I respect everyones views I hope you respect mine.

Very well said...and I do respect your opinion. As you mention, (and I must admit) driving my Avanti through severe weather conditions IS a test....I don't mean driving the car is at all difficult in severe weather, but I, as you, like to keep my Avanti clean as possible...I am fortunate that I can park her inside a semi-warm garage nightly and 'clean her up' as best I can!

I do like to wave the 'Studebaker Flag' out in public.....but I also like it to be a somewhat CLEAN flag that I'm waving! Thanks again for your comments!

DEEPNHOCK
02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Let's have fun with our cars....

SN-60
02-27-2015, 08:38 PM
One thing we do is keep a map of all the States that we have driven our 51 Commander too. We get so many comments from people!

No Studebaker says 'STUDEBAKER' more than the '50-'51 'bulletnose'....Absolutely wonderful, solid automobile. I owned and daily drove a '51 Commander sedan myself...stick o/d...everyone loved it!...I'll bet you get constant 'thumbs up's' driving that baby around.....GOOD DEAL!!!! :!!:

JRoberts
02-27-2015, 08:43 PM
I am a firm believer that one reason we have so few younger folks involved in Studebakers is because they read threads like this and give up on us very quickly. I have spoken with several people that have done exactly that and I understand why. This whole thread is counter productive.

SN-60
02-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Where I live there are so few Studes that if everyone decided to drive them every day, most still wouldn't see/notice them and their appearances would remain little more than rare oddities (which is the case with about ANY 50+ year old cars). Since I DO notice anything "dated" and/or unusual this is about the same with any cars of "our" vintage.

Like it or not, it is a rarity to see such old vehicles of any kind on the road regularly. And, yes, I HAVE driven a Stude as a daily driver for many years--in the past, but today?... no, it's not going to happen. The silly thing is that as of last year my first Avanti was still newer when I got it than my special-ordered C5 Vette is today. The latter has become the semi-daily driver I go to, when I want something "different." And, in truth, about as many people comment on and ask me about the Vette as do when I drive one of my Studebakers... In fact, the last comment I had when doing the latter was, "What a weird car. I see why they went bust." I joke you not! It will never be 1950 or 1960 again, no matter how much nor how often we drive our Studes!

Good points...I believe the advantage of driving an Avanti over a Corvette is the greater seating capacity....In my younger days I owned a '61, and a REALLY nice '62 (solid axle Corvettes)....They were fun in the summer with the hardtop off, but in the winter, with that roof back in place, they were claustrophobic.....Harsh ride too!...The Avanti is a more practical 'daily driver' (IMHO)

DEEPNHOCK
02-27-2015, 08:58 PM
I apologize too.
I responded after a few post's after the thread veered, and then the OP swerved back the other way.
Slippery slope this can be...
Sorry if it offended anyone.

Mikado282
02-27-2015, 09:08 PM
I have been following this forum since when it was a newsgroup over 15 years ago. I was interested in Studebakers and I even went and looked at a few cars back in the the day after volunteering to look at a local car for sale that a member was interested in and posting the findings. Things weren't so instant in those days. I have wanted a Studebaker for the last 30-40 years but my finances and the right car have yet to cross paths and at my age now may very well not. I buy the Keystone's raffle tickets in hope, but I am realistic enough to realize I may never win, but it is to a good cause. The hobby should be about positive things not negative things. But then who am I to say as I do not own a Studebaker, but who dreams of one.

BobPalma
02-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Fingerprints welcome here.

This is probably the youngest couple in our Indy Chapter SDC, the Chad Walker family. They own a gorgeous 1963 Lark Regal Six 4-door in Rose Mist, and a Nash Metropolitan.

Here, we "caught" their kids playing in the back of my Wagonaire at a big, local, all-make Danville IN First Friday cruise-in around the town square last year:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF5400_zpsae48927e.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF5400_zpsae48927e.jpg.html)

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF5424_zps54ecf8e7.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF5424_zps54ecf8e7.jpg.html)

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF5398_zpsaa086c14.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF5398_zpsaa086c14.jpg.html)

(Come to think of it, I believe the little guy's fingerprints are still on the inside of that back window for a testimonial...:D) :cool: BP

sweetolbob
02-27-2015, 09:56 PM
BP

We can pontificate on how/why younger folks do/don't become involved with the Marque but it's hard to dispute the positive effect of a hands-on experience by the younger generations. I've been cleaning my windows and seats after most shows I attend but the smiles and comments make the effort more than worthwhile. Well Done.

Bob

Studebaker Ron
02-27-2015, 10:33 PM
I am currently restoring my 1950 Champion and I do plan on driving it around town when its finished. That being said I do not plan on exposing it to the elements unless I am out and about when weather moves in. Down in Carolina we do not have road salt to worry about but I grew up in Western NY and I can tell you SALT KILLS CARS!!! I cannot see why anyone would want to expose a car to salt that managed to survive this long but its your car and do with it as you please.

Ron

hausdok
02-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Dave,

I can answer the question; the guy loved Studes and he wanted to start a club for Stude owners.

Back in 1970 when I was a wet-behind-the-ears kid less than a year out of high school and was working as a Toyota mechanic I wanted to start a Toyota Owner's Club. Never got around to it but someone else did - just like someone started a Chevy Club, Ford Club, Datsun Club, etc.. Even if a marque isn't gone one can still want to remember earlier models, no?

bezhawk
02-27-2015, 10:51 PM
When the SDC was formed, Studebaker was still in business. As the years pile on since the last new Studebaker rolled off the assembly line, it gets harder and harder to drive a Stude as often as once was possible. Owners should NOT be browbeaten because they wish to preserve their cars. It's past the time that maintenance of the daily driver is the reason for joining. Unless you are paying for the restoration costs for someone to drive their car in less than favorable daily conditions, then you should have no say in how it is used.

Studebaker Ron
02-27-2015, 11:08 PM
I agree that its one's opinion on how to use one's car. I want as many people to see my car out on the road as possible but at the same time not expose it to what I feel is unfavorable conditions for a 65 year old piece of rolling history. I did not purchase it as a primary form of transportation. Now when it comes to meets and shows I will hit the road and enjoy the car in addition to trips around town in nice weather.

Ron

plee4139
02-28-2015, 06:07 AM
I would love to drive my Sky Hawk every day, but in this climate it's just not smart. Any damage to the car will take a long while to fix, which might knock me out for the show season. I see lots of collector cars when I go to San Diego, but they're mostly dull basic-transportation cars, and not anything special. Most importantly, our cars, great as they are, suck gas at an alarming rate, and don't have the safety features today's cars have. Better safe than sorry.