Getting permission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting permission.

Ok, you have just found the car of your dreams. Its in great shape and the price is right. Now all you need is your wife's (husband's) blessing and to avoid the "look." What do you do?
    Last edited by wlfrench; 02-26-2015, 05:29 AM.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
    Ok, you have just found the car of your dreams. Its in great shape and the price is right. Now all you need is your wife's (husband's) blessing and to avoid the "look." What do you do?
    Two choices- (1) tell her now and get shot down immediately, or (2) buy it anyhow and stand by for retaliation.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sample response here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=bitch

Craig

Comment

I would hope by that stage of a relationship the answer is obvious to the other party. If you think I'm in Florida or the bathroom was recently remodeled because it was my idea, it wasn't. Same with my rolling stock purchases. If it fits financially then a discussion will make it happen for either of us.

My last Avanti was an impulse purchase when Judy was out of town. When she returned, I explained why I did it and all was well.

I think that's why it's called a relationship. Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-26-2015, 06:19 AM.

Comment

The way out is called "quid pro quo". Loosely translated, it means that if she goes along with you getting the car, then you will endorse her getting one of her dreams. When I wanted a separate garage for the Studebakers, my wife said, "Fine! ... and I would like a pool in the back yard". That worked for me. Just understand the budget impact of these transactions.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
            The way out is called "quid pro quo". Loosely translated, it means that if she goes along with you getting the car, then you will endorse her getting one of her dreams....
            In our home, I refer to it as "MARITAL RECIPROCITY"...although..."balance" in the value of the exchange, is very subjective.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My first Studebaker I purchased while my wife was away camping with the kids. The deal appeared out of the blue and was too good to pass up so I went for it. I parked the car in the garage, bullet nose out with a car cover over it. When she came home she was very unhappy but did not want to talk about it right then. The next morning I drove it to work before she got out of bed. Later we met for lunch and as soon as she saw the car the fight went right out of her. She loved it.
              So when I wanted a Studebaker daily driver to replace my modern jelly bean she suggested I buy a Studebaker truck. I knew of one for sale so we went to see it. She loved it and I bought it. Second time was her idea so it was a piece of cake.
              So, relating to your thread title "Getting permission" I think the old adage that it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission is sometimes the better option when you really want something.
              Oh, I forgot to mention that she got a camping trailer as the quid pro quo.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I feel sorry for anyone who feels compelled to obtain marital advice from an automotive forum.
                Last edited by Guido; 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I think more curiosity than advice, perhaps.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                    I feel sorry for anyone who feels compelled to obtain martial advice from an automotive forum.
                    REALLY!!!

Who else has more experience in caressing, admiring, desire, uplifting, polishing, diagnosing, fixing, restoring, and maintaining!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

There may be value to getting permission... If I had been required to do so I probably would not currently be the owner of 14 Studebakers, 2 Internationals, 4 other cars and trucks, 7 farm tractors, 2 crawler loaders, a forklift, 2 trailers, a myriad of farm equipment, an ATV, 400+ chainsaws and enough other stuff to fill a 3000 square foot building.

Comment

The Old Man said it was easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission! Wouldn't work in my house though - just saying!
                        sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                        J.D.

Comment

I'm a couple of weeks away from being 25, and I'm completely happy and content not being married.

I can't imagine spending my life (or any amount of time, for that matter) with someone that wouldn't let me do or buy what I wanted.

Comment

It would probably be adviseable to purchase a kevlar vest if the other party is not interested and has access to firearms. Just kidding. Fortunately for the most part our cars are not Barrett Jackson money and their purchase does not involve the national debt. Just my thoughts
                            John Hull

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              I'm a couple of weeks away from being 25, and I'm completely happy and content not being married.

I can't imagine spending my life (or any amount of time, for that matter) with someone that wouldn't let me do or buy what I wanted.
                              It's a two-way street, Matt. The right one comes along, you'll know.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X