53-55 sedans fender skirts vs tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-55 sedans fender skirts vs tire size

After finding a nice set of original fender skirts for my President State and repainting them to match I discovered the latches could not be secured due to interference with the tires. I am presently using 215-75R-15 tires. I am curious to see what size tires will actually work with original skirts. If you use original skirts on your 53-55 sedan what size tires do you use?

I'm not a big fan of skirts, but thought it would be nice to use them since they were standard equipment on the President.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

205-75-15 are what I use on my sedan, They fit fine.
    I also use the same size tires on my '64 Commander and '66 Cruiser.
    sigpic
    55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

It may be more about the Offset/Backspace of your WHEELS than the Tires. Are you running non-Studebaker Wheels?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Radials make a difference in width as opposed to bias. I am thinking of getting a set if skirts for my 50 Champion and this may be a problem as well with radials. One option is American Classic Bias Look radials. They have the dimensions of the bias with what they say is a radial ride. Problem is that they are very proud of this tire.

Ron

Comment

For a 1955 coupe and original 5" rims, I found that only 195-75R-15s would fit under skirts. 205s were too fat.

Comment

On my 55 State Sedan I have stock Ford Ranger wheels, 6" wide, 4" or 4 1/4" backspace.
            P215/75R 15 tires.
            The stock fenders skirts will not fit. Interference at the tire and the stock wheelcover.
            I could cut and reweld the rim to increase the backspace on the 2 rear wheels, but chose to not use the skirts.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Just wanted to mention,....Nice move finding and purchasing those '55 sedan skirts...To me, a 1955 Studebaker President Sedan simply isn't 'complete' without them....Sort of like the fog lites!

Comment

Working...
              X