Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious what is the diameter of the brake drums of a 55 president and width of brake shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious what is the diameter of the brake drums of a 55 president and width of brake shoes?

Just wondering what the diameter is of the 55 president brake drum is ? Is the speedster drums the same as my president? I just read the Packard hawk had I guess 12 inch rear diameter , and eleven inch front diameter drums ,and finned! Finned helped cooling , . I wonder about what the size of the 1956 hawks ,? Why did they change as the years progress? Obvious parts improve as time goes by . But I don't need them quite yet . Hardly any miles on my stude as long as I've own it. (6 years) Mike

You "heard" wrong, all Studebaker Drum Brake V8 Cars from 1954 to 1966 have 11 Inch front drums and 10 Inch rears, including All '57-'58 Packards.

In 1956 when a lot more Powerful Engines became available, the Cars with 289 Engines were improved to add the same size Drums with Cooling Fins.

At the same time, the Hubs were changed to use smaller Outer Wheel Bearings and Dust Caps.
    This change made the Bearings common to many other makes that would follow into at least the 1970's.
    The Dia. and width of '54 to '66 Brakes is more than adequate for the weight of the Cars.

The 11 Inch Finned REAR Drums, were used on Disc. Front Brake Avantis and Disc Brake equipped 1963 & on Larks and Hawks.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-23-2015, 12:08 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They are 2.25" front, and 2" width in the rear, I think. just off the top of my head
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
      X