Starting a Registry for the 1961 Lark Convertibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a Registry for the 1961 Lark Convertibles

Members tell me that the survival % of the 61's convertibles were not high. So I am starting a registry of the survivors. Either post on the forum or send me a personal message if you prefer.

Thanks,
    Matt Frushour

I own 61V 21109, body number 61V-L6, 735. Riviera Blue, dark blue interior, 3 speed w/overdrive.
    I believe the total number of '61 V-8 convertibles was 1005, with a similar total for 6 cylinders.
    So they were pretty rare when new!

Jerry Blount

Comment

Looks like the correct production numbers for '61 convertibles are V-8: 1002, six cylinder: 979.

Comment

I have one but will need to get the numbers to you, it is a V-8 and auto, has Air but not original style for the 61, the under dash parts is the 62 and later style, it will be coming off and is for sale, in fact the whole car is for sale, not running and has rust but as you say convert need to be saved and if there really was only 1002 then all the more reason to save it.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

thanks Jerry...

Comment

Hey Bob...yeah... when you get a minute send the info on your car. Thanks!

Comment

My wife has 61V 2898 which is a 1961 Lark VIII convertible. It's Flamingo with a black top and interior. Early build date of 9/9/60 and delivered to Langer Brothers in Westview near Pittsburgh, Pa. It came with the 259 V-8, Flight-o-matic, undercoating, Twin traction 3.31 axle, Firestone tires with white sidewalls and Climatizer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ice cream stop.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1695652

Comment

Hey Bill.... what is the body #??

Thanks,
                Matt

Comment

Hey Jerry.... do you have a build date for your Riviera Blue ?

Comment

My friend Ted Hurd asked if I could post his information here, so I'm happy to do so.

Ted owns 61V-13282, a very nice Ermine White with black top and interior, Lark Regal convertible. Final assembly date was 11/21/60. It is an extremely solid, very nice driver and has around 70K miles if I remember correctly (I forgot to ask him this tonight). The body no. is 599 and the engine number is V520814. It was delivered to McKean Studebaker Co., 6201 Saltsburg Rd., Pittsburgh 35, PA, and was built with Climatizer, Firestone whitewalls, radio, power steering, undercoating, electric windshield washers, and 3.54 axle.

One thing he and I both have been fascinated about, but have had zero leads, is that the production order says "Tag University of Pittsburgh". We later found out that the late Chancellor there was either on the Board of Directors of Studebaker, or his wife was. If anybody has any inside info on this, please respond!

Ted lives in Streetsboro, OH and bought it in suburban Cleveland some 20-odd years ago, so the car only moved about 2 1/2 hours in its long life from Pittsburgh to greater Cleveland.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Original owner's name was A. Yockey, Bayard St., Pittsburgh, PA. Found an old thread from a few years back where I had mentioned this.
                    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 03-01-2015, 11:25 AM.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill, I think that you and I talked about this a long time ago. Edward H. Litchfield was Chancellor of Pitt from 1956 to 1965. He still had a hand in other business interests, and among other things he was on the board of directors of Studebaker. When and for how long, I do not know. My dad was part of the Engineering faculty at Pitt (from 1947-1982) and he told me years ago that a memo came around to them that they could buy Studebakers for "fleet price", whatever that was. This was in the early 1960s and was due to Litchfield's connections to Studebaker. As my dad had no interest in Studebakers he didn't look in to this offer, although he told me that one of his co workers bought a Lark through the program. So, the University of Pitsburgh tag on the production order for Ted's '61 Convertible could have meant that it was just for some employee of Pitt who took advantage of the offer. I don't know if this offer extended to all Pitt employees, or just faculty, etc. Sorry to hijack the thread, but just thought I'd give you some input since you asked about it. Regards, Dave Bonn

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        My friend Ted Hurd asked if I could post his information here, so I'm happy to do so.

Ted owns 61V-13282, a very nice Ermine White with black top and interior, Lark Regal convertible. Final assembly date was 11/21/60. It is an extremely solid, very nice driver and has around 70K miles if I remember correctly (I forgot to ask him this tonight). The body no. is 599 and the engine number is V520814. It was delivered to McKean Studebaker Co., 6201 Saltsburg Rd., Pittsburgh 35, PA, and was built with Climatizer, Firestone whitewalls, radio, power steering, undercoating, electric windshield washers, and 3.54 axle.

Thanks.
                        Should I infer from this that the convertible is three speed standard?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Matt, here is the ID number to my 61 convert 61V 2232 and body tag number is 61V L6 over 150 rather early my guess. Just got my March TW with the nice write up on the 61 with the rumble seat, mine is the same color as that on, I had a chance to see this on last Sept. in Wisconsin very nice to say the least. anyone wanting a 61 to restore and maybe make one with the rear seat mine is for sale cheap, not give away but a good price for a rare convet it needs to be restored.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Should I infer from this that the convertible is three speed standard?
                            No Gary, Ted was reading me lines off of the Drive-Away Shipper as I wrote, and one of us apparently skipped that line. It is a Flightomatic.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Dave, I do remember our conversation about Edward Litchfield; thanks for reminding me. Ted couldn't find it, but I had gotten him the retail sale card for his car when I was out at the SNM archives several years back. It only had the first initial and last name of the original owner, and an apartment no. street address on Bayard St. (pretty sure that's what it was). I recall looking at a Pittsburgh map and it seemed that Bayard St. was quite close to Pitt.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X