tranny and engine swap in a 4 speed hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: tranny and engine swap in a 4 speed hawk

I know this is a sin above all other sins that I've done in my short life.BUT, I have a 62 Hawk 4 speed that has not had an engine or tranny in it for years. The engine needs to be rebuilt the tranny I'm not sure about. I have a 64 Cruiser with a 259 automatic. The engine runs good (if I'd quit messin' with it) I keep making improvements as money allows. I'd rather be playin' with the Hawk I can't afford to do both. So the demented thought for the day is to put the 259 w/automatic in the Hawk and drive it. Or the 259 and 4 speed which needs clutch pressure plate work and a throw out bearing. Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated as I've thunked this thing to death. Momma says no more money in the Cruiser she wants to ride in the Hawk. Jeeez

MY opinion; you and "Mama" may not agree.

You will be happiest with the 259 and the original Clutch Linkage, Clutch and Transmission, IF you can save that Trans. It CAN really Co$t to totally rebuild one.
    You really don't want to modify an original 4 Speed Car if you can avoid it, and an Engine swap to a 259 is no big deal.

The only downside is having to Dial-in the Clutch Housing to fit/center on the "New" Engine, which you have read about here enough to know it is a bit of work but not really hard to do.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      MY opinion; you and "Mama" may not agree.

You will be happiest with the 259 and the original Clutch Linkage, Clutch and Transmission, IF you can save that Trans. It CAN really Co$t to totally rebuild one.
      You really don't want to modify an original 4 Speed Car if you can avoid it, and an Engine swap to a 259 is no big deal.

The only downside is having to Dial-in the Clutch Housing to fit/center on the "New" Engine, which you have read about here enough to know it is a bit of work but not really hard to do.
      I've never opened the tranny I guess thats where I should start. I bought the Hawk as a basket case because it was a 4 spd. car. I have a 64 289 that I've never heard run but bought as a pig in a poke when I was working and had money. Would the power assist steering swap to the Hawk? The reach rods look different lengths as well as some of the other parts to the steering.

Comment

If you are saying that the Power Steering is from a Lark or Lark Type, no it is not a bolt-in only a few pieces are like; the Pump and brackets, pulleys, control Valve less the reach Rod portion, the Ram assy. should work but the Bellcrank will be different. I do not know without looking it up if the Pitman Arm will transfer.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          If you are saying that the Power Steering is from a Lark or Lark Type, no it is not a bolt-in only a few pieces are like; the Pump and brackets, pulleys, control Valve less the reach Rod portion, the Ram assy. should work but the Bellcrank will be different. I do not know without looking it up if the Pitman Arm will transfer.
          Yep the bell crank is different for sure. The power steering is from a 64 Lark type Cruiser. I was hoping most of it would be a bolt on swap but the reach rod being short it would need to be stretched and I could swap out bellcranks and pitman arm since I have everything.

Comment

Steering reach rod (or drag link) definitely different.....Bellcrank would be the same!

Comment

Originally posted by studeluvr View Post
              I know this is a sin above all other sins that I've done in my short life.BUT, I have a 62 Hawk 4 speed that has not had an engine or tranny in it for years. The engine needs to be rebuilt the tranny I'm not sure about. I have a 64 Cruiser with a 259 automatic. The engine runs good (if I'd quit messin' with it) I keep making improvements as money allows. I'd rather be playin' with the Hawk I can't afford to do both. So the demented thought for the day is to put the 259 w/automatic in the Hawk and drive it. Or the 259 and 4 speed which needs clutch pressure plate work and a throw out bearing. Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated as I've thunked this thing to death. Momma says no more money in the Cruiser she wants to ride in the Hawk. Jeeez
              Interesting responses, so far. You state you have "thunked this thing to death," but with no mean intention, I'd like to urge you to do some more homework. How good are you as a mechanic? Do you have to depend on "others" to do your work? If you need to pay for machine work, mechanics, parts, etc., what are your resources? How well connected are you with local competent talent?

These are some of the questions you need to resolve in going forward. Posting your concerns here is part of that process. The reason I'm raising these issues is because I've seen such projects, where, two good potential restorable vehicles were combined into one mediocre, less than satisfactory performing, vehicle. Then, the owner becomes disillusioned, discouraged, abandons, and sells off both vehicles. It is truly a dilemma that, only you, can resolve to your satisfaction. By the time you gut the power-train of one car for another, the effort and expense could easily out distance the cost of repairing the existing engine and transmission. (By reading your original post, you still have them.)

If you're not sure, get some knowledgeable, friendly mechanical "eyes" to examine the original parts. Tear into it and determine what's really there. See what the specs are. If a rebuild can be done without extreme machine work and modifications, you might end up with a good running hawk and Cruiser. Also, you could sell the Cruiser for the funds to finish the Hawk.

What ever you do...good luck. Keep in touch.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Fred, don't play your self short, you can make this happen it you want and I know you have help when needed there in town. every thing with the power steering will interchange except for the reach rod, I have a hawk one on the shelf and since you have the 64 with the parts at hand you have every thing you will need but be sure you take every thing , the lower pulley spacer and longer bolts, crank bolt too, the special bolts for the pump to the engine, the bracket that holds the ram to the frame and the special bell crank. the Pittman arm comes with the valve and should fit right on to the hawk box, just need the reach rod also there is a 1/2" round spacer that sits under the driver side rear motor mount that tilts the rear that much. not much extra work with engine out of the car, good luck you should like the hawk with either engine...Bob
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Sounds like you're making more of this than is necessary. Just transplant the 259 into the Hawk. Don't open that trans till you've had a chance to drive it. It sounds like money is part of the problem, so why invite trouble? Get a new clutch for it, dial in the engine to the bell housing and install it. Save the Hawk engine for the next time. You'll love the 259 in the Hawk. Sell the Cruiser and move on. You'll make yourself happier and it sounds like Mama wants the Hawk on the road. How on Earth do you lose in that equation?? Then you can focus on the Hawk and have some fun taking Mama out on date night in a great looking classic car. She'll love you for it.
                  sals54

Comment

Why not sell the lark, take the money from that and rebuild the motor in the hawk?

Comment

I feel the same way. Rebuild the full flow block and drop it in the Hawk. If Mama isn't happy there is nobody happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        I feel the same way. Rebuild the full flow block and drop it in the Hawk. If Mama isn't happy there is nobody happy.
                        Fred is pulling every body's leg about mama not being happy, any one that knows Fred and Erica know she runs the show and is Studebaker all the way, two of the best Studebaker people you want to know, in fact even if they were not Studebaker people they would be right on top of my list .
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          Fred is pulling every body's leg about mama not being happy, any one that knows Fred and Erica know she runs the show and is Studebaker all the way, two of the best Studebaker people you want to know, in fact even if they were not Studebaker people they would be right on top of my list .
                          Yeah Fred is good for Stude work and ideas as I believe he does all his own work. The Cruiser has rust issues enough that the driver door is saggin' and the trunk rust lets exhaust in. The reason I posted this is to get some ideas and to see if I'm a complete loon in my thinking. The Cruiser was meant to be a donor car for a 2 door 64 but that isn't gonna happen so the Hawk is the next choice. I can do all my own work except machine shop stuff but I have a connection. I'll probably use the 259 cuz I know its good the 4 speed and add the power steering while I'm at it. I do appreciate all the input it really is enlightening. Thanks to all.

Comment

Its a sad and sometimes cold hearted thing to have to do, but sometimes ya gotta put a bullet in her and harvest the organs. Many others will stay alive with her sacrifice. God Bless her. ( BTW, Ya know I'm talkin bout the Cruiser, right? )
                            sals54

Comment

here you go just what you need for a hawk.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X