PDA

View Full Version : One-owner 1954 2-door wagon available in Seattle

Mark L
02-19-2015, 10:34 PM
This was just posted in the Seattle Craigslist yesterday. It's advertised as a one-owner 1954 2-door wagon with 36,000+ miles, all original down to the tires.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4896960668.html

Mark L

dean pearson
02-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Man o man that looks like a really sweet car!!!

Dean.

Studebaker Ron
02-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Very Nice!!!!

Dads Baby
02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Why do you guys post this stuff? I would love to call this one "Mine."

BobPalma
02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Golly, per the description, that is an unusual automatic transmission (with the OD handle below the dash)...and the assertion that it is a two-door wagon, "made only one year." :eek:

Well, I suppose they did make 1954 two-door wagons only one year! :whome:

And then we have the "all original" paint scheme...and even the original tires, which appear to be the odd-size 8.45X15 Goodyear Power Cushions that weren't made until the mid-1960s in that unusual whitewall style. :yeahright:

(Note: Those are not criticisms of the car itself, which is nice, but legitimate errors of fact in the description of it, with which it should be fair game to take exception.) :yeahright: :) :cool: BP

jackb
02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
just curious...... what would a "like" condition Chevy Nomad raise for a sale price ??

BobPalma
02-20-2015, 08:51 AM
just curious...... what would a "like" condition Chevy Nomad raise for a sale price ??

;) An interesting question. If the Nomad was indeed a V8 with stick overdrive and documented miles, I bet it would fetch at least $75,000, if not more. :cool: BP

Pat Dilling
02-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Wow, I hope a member jumps on that. The price is more than fair, even if you had to pay to ship it somewhere. What a time capsule.

r1lark
02-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Golly, per the description, that is an unusual automatic transmission (with the OD handle below the dash)...

Bob, it's an automatic overdrive!

StudeRich
02-20-2015, 11:26 AM
I can easily understand the Kid using the default "Automatic Trans." clickbox in error in trying to help his friend sell this nice Conestoga, but what I do not understand is this:

"It is a private party sale, but I decided to place in dealer section, pay the $5, so it doesn't get flagged time and time again,"

FLAGGED? Huh? :confused: With no address, people can't come and hang Flags on your Car! :lol:
I wonder what it really means?

TWChamp
02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
I was also puzzled by the flag comment? I don't know how or why it would be flagged.

As far as comparing it to the Nomad, it's unfortunate, but Studebakers have always been under appreciated and undervalued. IMHO Studebakers have long been a top quality car, and among the top cars in style and comfort, not to mention tops in fuel economy.

Blue 15G
02-20-2015, 11:55 AM
I also noticed that the tire design was too new to be from 1954. But....when you think about it, who cares? What a beautiful car! Probably worth every penny.

StudeRich
02-20-2015, 12:32 PM
I was also puzzled by the flag comment? I don't know how or why it would be flagged./Cut/

Maybe in todays youth world of texting, smart phoning, Facebooking the term means something like Harassing, stalking, robbing etc. Who knows!

dnevin
02-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Flagging means reporting an post for being against craigslist rules. If a post is flagged more than a specific number of times by different people, the post is removed.

Oh, and that's a really nice little wagon.

StudeRich
02-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Flagging means reporting an post for being against craigslist rules. If a post is flagged more than a specific number of times by different people, the post is removed.
Oh, and that's a really nice little wagon.

OK great, so that process is used to report inappropriate, bad language etc. Listings.
So on a Car Ad maybe people report them for no reason but to tee them off or get their Ad removed for no good reason?
It's a weird world out there, best to keep your 357 Magnum handy I guess.

Mike Van Veghten
02-20-2015, 02:31 PM
And I was told...........ALL.......Conestogas came with the "Conestoga" script at about a 30 degree angle, right side, on the tailgate.
Despite one of mine not having it (along with no filled holes), just like this apparent virgin doesn't..!
Nice...............

Mike

karterfred88
02-20-2015, 03:08 PM
It appears Washington state must have used the engine number as serial numbers in 1954. The registration photo shows a '54 232 V8 number instead of the pillar serial number. Too far away--------- A V8 wagon 3 on the tree OD would be really neat to have.

Pat Dilling
02-20-2015, 04:25 PM
And I was told...........ALL.......Conestogas came with the "Conestoga" script at about a 30 degree angle, right side, on the tailgate.
Despite one of mine not having it (along with no filled holes), just like this apparent virgin doesn't..!
Nice...............

Mike

I have seen at least 6 Conestogas without the tailgate script including the one I had, so whoever told you that was mistaken. Maybe all the 55s had it? I don't know.

StudeRich
02-20-2015, 04:38 PM
I think I could deal with the Custom Two Tone, and MAYBE even the Green, but I would have painted it all the way to the Fender seam in the center of the headlight instead of the pointy thing.

Either way a very sharp and very original Connie. :!: No, not a Lockheed Super "G" Constellation! :D

nels
02-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Anybody notice the round rubber bumpers on the fender aprons to hood are painted body color. I believe they should be black...not painted.

calntvs
02-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Wish this was closer (1500 miles away), I'd go take a look. But... This looks more like a 25-35 year old restoration to me. Seats don't match and engine is WAAAY too clean even for a 30+ thousand mile car. I bet that is 136 or 236 thousand mile car. Heck, my '62 GT is 584,000 (3 engines) and looks about this good without a restoration. Just paint and interior 30+ years ago (but my engine is nowhere that clean with about 40,000 since rebuild). I would still love to have this car to go surfing!!!

StudeRich
02-20-2015, 08:10 PM
I think we need to realize that anything this "Friend" who knows NOTHING of the Car says is ahh, conjecture only.
If he says the Paint is original, it has Automatic whatever, it was not an intentional lie, just lack of knowledge.

When I look at things like those tailgate hinges and surround, I can tell that this Car has not ever been outside to any degree in the Northwest (=RAIN) and it has to have very little Mileage and looks like the real deal to me. Without a better look, its around 150 Miles from here, that's all I can say.

However we have MANY Tacoma Chapter and Seattle Chapter Members, some of which I am sure would be glad to check it out for any of you. :)

clonelark
02-21-2015, 01:57 AM
I thought i posted something yesterday guess i didn't push the reply button. It's gone now but i guess some of you guys didn't look at this Conestoga close enough, looked like a repaint to me bubbles in the closeup pic of the wrong emblem on the side. should have been a Commander emblem, it has some kind of Studebaker emblem. The tire well on my Conestoga is body color. also no battery hold down. Engine was body color. If it was 36xxx miles, it had been worked over quite a bit.

Pat Dilling
02-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Listing is gone, maybe someone local jumped on it.

StudeRich
02-21-2015, 11:56 AM
I thought i posted something yesterday guess i didn't push the reply button. It's gone now but i guess some of you guys didn't look at this Conestoga close enough, looked like a repaint to me bubbles in the closeup pic of the wrong emblem on the side. should have been a Commander emblem, it has some kind of Studebaker emblem. The tire well on my Conestoga is body color. also no battery hold down. Engine was body color. If it was 36xxx miles, it had been worked over quite a bit.

According to the Parts Catalog, under the Quarter Window, ALL 1954 Conestoga's and 1955 Champions got the Starliner "Studebaker" Nameplate and 1955 Commanders got the "Commander" nameplate, this Car is correct. And remember it is not a '55, apples and oranges different.

Also All '54 and '55's were supposed to get the "Conestoga" Nameplate on the Tailgate, however if the Tailgate was replaced, it would have NO holes for same.
The Nameplates have been NLA for many years, so when re-painted many Cars would have the holes filled.

UPDATE: OK Pat let's do it this way!

Pat Dilling
02-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Also All '54 and '55's got the "Conestoga" Nameplate on the Tailgate, however if the Tailgate was replaced, it would have NO holes for same.
The Nameplates have been NLA for many years, so when re-painted many Cars would have the holes filled.

I can only speak from personal experience, but today I can take you to 2 original paint cars, and a spare tailgate that appears to be original paint, and none of them have the Conestoga script. For so many not to have the script truly makes me wonder if at least a percentage of them did not have it.

Hallabutt
02-23-2015, 02:49 PM
If anyone out there is really interested in that car let me know. I will not go into how stupid I was to let this one get away from me, or to humble myself by telling you how low my offer was, and accepted at that, but then I backed out and went all in on the 22,000 mile Buick Riviera that was in the same garage. The car is as good as it looks, solid as a rock but it had what I perceived to be a stuck engine. The passenger door would not open and the drivers door would only open far enough to stick a camera in and take some pictures. I pumped those 50 year old tires that had been on their rims for decades and was surprised that the tires would even hold air! Their is a significant cigarette burn on the drivers seat, not shown in the photos, but could not see any significant interior damage. For me the car would have needed a partial paint job, as that funky graphics would not have been acceptable to me. The back bumper showed significant rust but not sure how it would have cleaned up. Tried to post a photo but doubt that I got it done.-Bill

studeclunker
02-23-2015, 03:42 PM
So Hallabutt... does this mean the wagon is still available?:confused:

Hallabutt
02-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Ron,

I see that it isn't listed anymore, but I wasn't watching that closely either. Did you hear that it had been sold? I can check it out but if you heard that it had sold then you have more information then I do. please let me know.-Bill

Studegal
02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Hi, I got to see the car as a barn find!! It was a fun experience

Hallabutt
02-23-2015, 11:40 PM
Ok folks thought I might continue with this garage find that Studegal started. I definitely didn't know what I was doing when trying to post pictures. Sorry I got a picture of my original wagon in there and couldn't figure out how to delete it. I didn't want to bore anyone with pictures of the Riviera I bought, but it was in the same garage.-Bill