The garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The garage

Not sure if this is considered off-topic, but what kind of tools, storage, organizers, etc. do you guys recommend? I started looking at Craftsman first, but there's a lot to choose from. Not sure which brand name is known as the "toughest". As of now, the shop is expected to be 28'X28'. My dad's also trying to decide which type of lift he should put in it. Any recommendations or warnings would be great. There's just way too much to choose from, and I need to narrow it down. I'm pretty much looking for a list of "must have" stuff, as well as anything that I should avoid.

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
    Louisiana
    1950 Commander

Well it is pretty much understood among mechanics that Snap-On is the best, but there are other good tools for about the same price some a little less. There is Mac Tools and other Snap-On copycats all are sold from private dealers who have a schedule to show up at all the professional garages, and they will sell to individuals just ask one for their card or reach them on-line or in the yellow pages.

Craftsman is OK, but the quality has been getting worse and prices going way higher, BUT you break it, they replace it and they are easy to find.

It gets down to: do you want to spend 80-$100,000.00 for a full Snap-On shop, or something less?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well it is pretty much understood among mechanics that Snap-On is the best, but there are other good tools for about the same price some a little less. There is Mac Tools and other Snap-On copycats all are sold from private dealers who have a schedule to show up at all the professional garages, and they will sell to individuals just ask one for their card or reach them on-line or in the yellow pages.

Craftsman is OK, but the quality has been getting worse and prices going way higher, BUT you break it, they replace it and they are easy to find.

It gets down to: do you want to spend 80-$100,000.00 for a full Snap-On shop, or something less?

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Shay:
        I have spent literally hours recently on line, researching two-post lifts for my garage. They all say theirs are the best, so about all you can do is check the specs on the size lift you want and compare, and don't forget to check the shipping cost! You will have to have a fork lift or some-such apparatus on site to unload the lift, most shippers do not offer a tailgate lift to unload it. Again, that's something you need to check beforehand. I only found ONE brand of lift so far that is US-made (and very expensive), all others are from China. Many brand names are really the same lift, only re-badged with each seller's logo.
        If you have a high enough ceiling I recommend an overhead beam type that will leave you a clear floor. The asymmetrical type of lifting arms seem to be the most versatile. I would try to get a lift with two lift cylinders instead of one. They don't cost much more. Some vendors will supply U.S.-made lift cylinders at additional cost although they might not mention it in their ads. It would help to find a company that has a distributor within driving distance so you can go look at their products.
        The only brand names I have noticed while visiting various auto repair shops are Bend-Pak, Danmar and Rotary. Bend-Pak is sold by various dealers and the price seems to be about $2500 which is more than some but that includes shipping. Remember all these lifts require 220V electrical hookup.
        I'm looking forward to seeing what other SDCers are using, I haven't made my mind up, just getting more confused. Let's hear some recommendations from others!

Dennis Napier
        San Diego

Comment

Shay:
          I have spent literally hours recently on line, researching two-post lifts for my garage. They all say theirs are the best, so about all you can do is check the specs on the size lift you want and compare, and don't forget to check the shipping cost! You will have to have a fork lift or some-such apparatus on site to unload the lift, most shippers do not offer a tailgate lift to unload it. Again, that's something you need to check beforehand. I only found ONE brand of lift so far that is US-made (and very expensive), all others are from China. Many brand names are really the same lift, only re-badged with each seller's logo.
          If you have a high enough ceiling I recommend an overhead beam type that will leave you a clear floor. The asymmetrical type of lifting arms seem to be the most versatile. I would try to get a lift with two lift cylinders instead of one. They don't cost much more. Some vendors will supply U.S.-made lift cylinders at additional cost although they might not mention it in their ads. It would help to find a company that has a distributor within driving distance so you can go look at their products.
          The only brand names I have noticed while visiting various auto repair shops are Bend-Pak, Danmar and Rotary. Bend-Pak is sold by various dealers and the price seems to be about $2500 which is more than some but that includes shipping. Remember all these lifts require 220V electrical hookup.
          I'm looking forward to seeing what other SDCers are using, I haven't made my mind up, just getting more confused. Let's hear some recommendations from others!

Dennis Napier
          San Diego

Comment

If you are building a new building, take it from me: There's no such thing as too big! Go as big as you can afford; you'll always find use for the space. More depth is especially valuable, for benches and equipment storage.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

If you are building a new building, take it from me: There's no such thing as too big! Go as big as you can afford; you'll always find use for the space. More depth is especially valuable, for benches and equipment storage.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I used to subscribe to Progressive Farmer and about 15 years ago they did a piece on building farm shops. Their recommendation was to build it 1 1/2 times larger than the size you thought you needed.

Comment

I used to subscribe to Progressive Farmer and about 15 years ago they did a piece on building farm shops. Their recommendation was to build it 1 1/2 times larger than the size you thought you needed.

Comment

That is absolutely true. My mom thought my dad was nuts when he built a Morton building big enough to hold 15 (total)cars / trucks / tractors mixed when they only had a Jeep, an old F100 and a little 8N Ford tractor at the time.

Fast forward 15 years.... they're building a second barn.

Chris Salisbury
                    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

That is absolutely true. My mom thought my dad was nuts when he built a Morton building big enough to hold 15 (total)cars / trucks / tractors mixed when they only had a Jeep, an old F100 and a little 8N Ford tractor at the time.

Fast forward 15 years.... they're building a second barn.

Chris Salisbury
                      Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Well, 28x28 ain't big enough. Mine is 30x30 and is too small. I do need to add on a tool room. That would help a lot. I have a 10 year old Autolifters hoist. It has a plate on the floor but is only 1" high. My transmission jack will go over it with a transmission on it. When I bought mine the ceiling was 12' high. All the overhead cable/chain lifts were 12' 2". Now they all within the 12' ceiling range. I don't know the prices. I only buy U.S. made. My neighbor bought a China made. It lifted the car 8 times and he had to replace the pump unit. If I was to install another one I would look at Eagle. All my tools are Snap-on, Mac or Matco. But I used to do that for a living. Good tools are expensive.

Shipping weight is at least 600 lbs?

Good Luck.........

Claude Chmielewski
                        Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                        47 M-16 Truck
                        62 GT Hawk
                        63 Lark
                        64 Commander Wagonaire
                        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                        [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/dakota01.jpg[/img=left]
                        "One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their
                        communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how
                        honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked
                        matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not
                        much in fashion anymore."
                        1936 Dictator
                        1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                        1953 Commander Regal HT
                        1953 2R5 Pickup
                        1947 M16 Truck
                        1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                        1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                        1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                        1962 GT Hawk
                        1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                        1963 GT Hawk R2
                        1964 Daytona Convertible
                        1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Well, 28x28 ain't big enough. Mine is 30x30 and is too small. I do need to add on a tool room. That would help a lot. I have a 10 year old Autolifters hoist. It has a plate on the floor but is only 1" high. My transmission jack will go over it with a transmission on it. When I bought mine the ceiling was 12' high. All the overhead cable/chain lifts were 12' 2". Now they all within the 12' ceiling range. I don't know the prices. I only buy U.S. made. My neighbor bought a China made. It lifted the car 8 times and he had to replace the pump unit. If I was to install another one I would look at Eagle. All my tools are Snap-on, Mac or Matco. But I used to do that for a living. Good tools are expensive.

Shipping weight is at least 600 lbs?

Good Luck.........

Claude Chmielewski
                          Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                          47 M-16 Truck
                          62 GT Hawk
                          63 Lark
                          64 Commander Wagonaire
                          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                          [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/dakota01.jpg[/img=left]
                          "One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their
                          communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how
                          honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked
                          matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not
                          much in fashion anymore."
                          1936 Dictator
                          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                          1953 Commander Regal HT
                          1953 2R5 Pickup
                          1947 M16 Truck
                          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                          1963 GT Hawk R2
                          1964 Daytona Convertible
                          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

I couldn't agree more on the size. I was originally going to build a 6 car and my finance consultant (my wife) said this is a one shot deal. No add ons and no additional buildings......so I went to the county and got a 14 car approved. When it was built I rented space for 4 years and got a great return each month. Then believe it or not, it was filled with all of my purchases of cars and parts in years 5, 6 and 7. Go as big as you can. You will never regret it and it will always add great resale value.

58 Packard Wagon (Parade Red)
                            58 Packard Wagon (Park Green)
                            58 Packard Sedan (Shadowtone Red)
                            62 Daytona (White)
                            63 Lark Custom 2 Door Sedan R2 (Super Red)

Comment

I couldn't agree more on the size. I was originally going to build a 6 car and my finance consultant (my wife) said this is a one shot deal. No add ons and no additional buildings......so I went to the county and got a 14 car approved. When it was built I rented space for 4 years and got a great return each month. Then believe it or not, it was filled with all of my purchases of cars and parts in years 5, 6 and 7. Go as big as you can. You will never regret it and it will always add great resale value.

58 Packard Wagon (Parade Red)
                              58 Packard Wagon (Park Green)
                              58 Packard Sedan (Shadowtone Red)
                              62 Daytona (White)
                              63 Lark Custom 2 Door Sedan R2 (Super Red)

Comment

Working...
                              X