Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I was building a pure stock drive train, what would I build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I was building a pure stock drive train, what would I build?

Sometime this week I am taking a set of V8 heads to a local machine shop in the course of my 259 rebuild and sometime this spring I hope to take the block and crank in for work. If I felt the urge to run in the pure stock drags what would I want engine and transmission wise? Just wondering because my Lark's current drive train is a six/automatic and my hardtop may be the closest I will ever get to a sports car

If I understand the rules the R engines are out because my Lark is a 62.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

The only thing not in the stock parts bin when they made the R series engines was a different grind cam, and the dual point distributor. Everything else was off the shelf Studebaker parts. The HD exhaust valves, and aluminum cam gear were truck units. The valve springs were from the Commander six.
    The AFB came out about then, but wasn't utilized by Stude until 63. Dual point breaker plates were available way early in the 5O's aftermarket, but they're of course not stock 62.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I would want to put in a 289 Crank and Pistons and a 4 speed, your "Plan" may be different.
      I think if they "knew" the Lark WAS a 6, it would be disqualified.

Remember these are "Pure Stock Muscle Cars" racing in these races, big block Cudas, Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaros, Cutlasses, Skylarks, GTO's etc.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, a 1962 Lark Six that had been converted to a V8 would not be disqualified. If that was done, it would be nice to have the V8 emblem on the deck lid for authenticity.

There are several non-Studebakers running at the event that have been cloned from six-cylinder cars. It is permitted so long as the only components used are those available for the year of manufacture.

Thus, you could run a 225 HP 289 with 4-speed, since that combination was available in 1962 Daytonas. You could not run an R1/R2 cam or an AFB carburetor, however.

Is your hardtop a Regal or a Daytona, Jeff? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The only thing not in the stock parts bin when they made the R series engines was a different grind cam, and the dual point distributor. Everything else was off the shelf Studebaker parts. The HD exhaust valves, and aluminum cam gear were truck units. The valve springs were from the Commander six.
          The AFB came out about then, but wasn't utilized by Stude until 63. Dual point breaker plates were available way early in the 5O's aftermarket, but they're of course not stock 62.
          The R1/R2 part not available to '62s were the flat top pistons. The difference between 8.5 compression and 10.25 would be very noticeable on the strip.

The good news is I'd line hone the mains, bore the block .060" over, square deck mill another .020" off the block surface and .020" off the heads. All that, plus the thin head gasket, should put a 299" engine up toward 9.5:1 compression. Balance to within one gram.

Shim the valve springs to the max allowable seat pressure.

Many of the Brand X competitors are running cheater cams which meet the specifications for lift and duration, but have almost square lobes. They open the valve much faster than the original. We could have one ground for Studes. All it takes is money.

A lightened flywheel, close-ratio 4-speed, 4.56 gears, Twin Traction, pinion snubber, clamp the front half of the HD springs.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

It's a Regal model. When I bought the Lark years ago it was a non functioning borderline parts car with a rod through the block. It was missing most of the interior (and more) but since I was young and buying Lark parts cars at the time I built a daily driver that I drove for years.

I am in the mood to built something that is fun to drive, which it always has been, and able to get out of its own way...quickly

I have a bunch of three speeds that I can make do in the short term but a four speed would be fun. Are there any four speeds with the later pattern available?
            The Replacements.

Comment

Hi, Jeff,

I've got a '70s close-ratio Super T10 from an AMC Javelin. It will bolt up to the Stude Ford pattern bell, but will need the input shaft shortened to Stude dimensions.

I'd been saving it for a Pure Stock build which hasn't gotten to the top of the bucket list.

If you're interested, I'll see if the guy who offered to shorten the shaft for me is still willing to do it.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Sounds like there are lots of things you could still do to a 62, but I would love to see some early Hawks get to the races, too. That Sky Hawk in the latest TW would turn some heads
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Jack,

PM sent
                  The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
                  X