PDA

View Full Version : Title Search Companies

Paul K.
02-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Can anyone recommend a reputable title search company? If anyone has used one with success, please share any details. Any fore-warnings are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

candbstudebakers
02-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Paul, what do you mean by title search company? you can go to AAA if you are a member and they can and will do the basic check and let you know if it is in the system or if there is a problem with it. I know that DMV will not do that for you for some reason they either are to lazy or just don't want to give out that info, let me know what you really mean and maybe I can help.

unclemiltie
02-16-2015, 10:28 AM
I found a site, http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/ where there is a National Motor Vehicle Title Information System database. As an individual you have to access via a company and cannot do it directly yourself . I then used one of the companies they listed which worked for me. I used https://dmvdesk.com. It cost me a couple bucks.

Guido
02-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Are you asking about land or vehicles? Big difference in who you will contact.

Paul K.
02-16-2015, 11:01 AM
candbstudebakers.

too long of a story to clutter the forum. sent you a PM

Paul K.
02-16-2015, 11:05 AM
The title search is for a vehicle. I just want to trace the car back through previous titles and states. Something went wrong along the line. The car is a 1972 model.

rusty65
02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
I've had trouble looking up the history for a '68 Che*y that I once owned.It seems that most of these services require a 17 digit VIN and mine only has 13.I tried 4 title search companies and came up with nothing.

Paul K.
02-16-2015, 02:13 PM
I found a site, http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/ where there is a National Motor Vehicle Title Information System database. As an individual you have to access via a company and cannot do it directly yourself . I then used one of the companies they listed which worked for me. I used https://dmvdesk.com. It cost me a couple bucks.

Uncle Miltie, How many titles or transfers did the report show? How old was the vehicle you searched?

unclemiltie
02-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Uncle Miltie, How many titles or transfers did the report show? How old was the vehicle you searched?

I was searching for my recently acquired 88 avanti. It worked great for me. It told me of a previous title in Washington state which I was able to contact Washington state for and they told me whom had owned it.

candbstudebakers
02-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Paul, after reading you other posts here I don't think I can help you there as the DMV in California is not in business helping people, been there done that , and if a car was out of state at any time then it make things harder sound like the sites Milt is talking about is what you need, good luck.....Bob

Reggie
02-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Are you just wanting to know who owned it before you, or to track down a title for it? I'd guess, and this really is a guess, that these database(s)contain VIN information that has been entered since the advent of the 'puter; within the last 30-40 years, or so. Really old cars are probably only documented by the title in the owners' hand, unless it has been reregistered, since then. Paper records kept by state motor vehicle agencies, are very incomplete, having been transcribed into a 'puter system on a case-by-case only as older cars were tranferred, and then, after a period of time, the bulk of the paper files were disposed of, just as most of the cars were. Their mission is not to maintain massive paper title files, indefinitely, just for the antique cars that still happen to be sitting in barns. Not to be a conspiracy buff, but I think these agencies don't want the public to be aware of this; but they are counting on you to furnish a title OR go through any of various fee-assessed processes to get it retitled, with you, not them, doing all the research and running around.

57pack
02-18-2015, 05:27 AM
I was over to our local DMV office the other day getting a title transfer for my Wagonaire.
As I filled out the form I asked the girl what happens to the old title.
She replied "we send all old titles to Trenton, they store them in a huge warehouse" that's all I could find out.
I guess they keep the old title for a number of years then purge them.
Definitely not available to the public.