PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Wide Whitewalls.....what size and brand do you like?

Studebaker Ron
02-15-2015, 09:32 PM
I took a look at the American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewalls and I think they would look good on my 1950 Champion. The original size in Bias was 640 R15 but they do not make this size. I know that the 670 R15 will work on the Champion however they are about 5% bigger than the tires that came on the car new. What is your opinion about installing a set? So far a price of $242.00 each is my only negative point as they give the original look to our cars and have a 2.75" whitewall. What are you guts running on your cars and are you happy with them?

Thanks
Ron

blackhawk61
02-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Will not pass for bias ply in a judged show

t walgamuth
02-15-2015, 10:13 PM
It will increase your ET in a drag race. I doubt you will be able to feel it though.

Studebaker Ron
02-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Ken
Good to know that a trained eye would pick this out. Would you give them a shot on a soon to be very nice driver or is the cost to much? From what I have seen standard 205 75 R15's with a 2" whitewall or more will start around $200 per tire vs the bias radial look at $242.00.

Ron

ddub
02-16-2015, 12:02 AM
Will not pass for bias ply in a judged show
I could be wrong but I don't believe there is a penalty for radials at an SDC show.

Studebaker Ron
02-16-2015, 12:05 AM
That's good to know. So what wide whitewall do you guys like for a 1950 Champion?

Charlie D
02-16-2015, 12:41 AM
Ron,

I have a '55 and that tire is the one I am looking seriously at. I think the general public would not know if it was radial or not.

Charlie D.

StudeRich
02-16-2015, 01:47 AM
You need to be satisfied YOURSELF with the "Look". You asked for "our" opinion, so I'll give you mine, but I don't actually think it matters!

I really like the look of the shoulder on this tire and the Narrower 2.75" Whitewall, this is the correct look for a '56-'62 U.S. Car.

Now IF you really wanted it to look original and correct, '47-'55 Whitewalls had a bit wider Whitewall going onto part of the shoulder between the "normal" on newer tires, Sidewall and the Tread just like the '30's and '40's Tires.
I think these look really stupid, they were commonly known in the '70's as "Gangster" Whitewalls.
So just say'n, correct is correct, but I would not want to be seen driving a Car with those!

You should also be concerned with how they steer, brake and ride, there are many testimonials here on other Posts about the handling of the other options, Diamond Back and Coker, I have no idea who makes these "American Classic" but I do like the look.

clonelark
02-16-2015, 02:10 AM
I'm kinda in the same dilemma you are, i need wide whites for my 1955 Conestoga before i put it on e-bay. I want radials but the car is so original (even original paint), i wonder if i should go bias ply tires.

StudeRich
02-16-2015, 02:28 AM
No dilemma really on a '55, these "Classics" will look good, look like Bias but are Radial, and the white wall width is almost correct, close enough.

Radials are just so much better driving without wandering, on MOST Studes.

plee4139
02-16-2015, 05:47 AM
My Sky Hawk has the narrower whitewalls found on later cars, and nobody seems to notice or care. Since they're radials, I'm going to get docked two points each anyway.

Studebaker Ron
02-16-2015, 02:30 PM
You need to be satisfied YOURSELF with the "Look". You asked for "our" opinion, so I'll give you mine, but I don't actually think it matters!

I really like the look of the shoulder on this tire and the Narrower 2.75" Whitewall, this is the correct look for a '56-'62 U.S. Car.

Now IF you really wanted it to look original and correct, '47-'55 Whitewalls had a bit wider Whitewall going onto part of the shoulder between the "normal" on newer tires, Sidewall and the Tread just like the '30's and '40's Tires.
I think these look really stupid, they were commonly known in the '70's as "Gangster" Whitewalls.
So just say'n, correct is correct, but I would not want to be seen driving a Car with those!

You should also be concerned with how they steer, brake and ride, there are many testimonials here on other Posts about the handling of the other options, Diamond Back and Coker, I have no idea who makes these "American Classic" but I do like the look.

Thanks Rich
In the American Classic they do not offer a 640 R15 that was original on the 1950 Champion. Would a 670 R15 be to big or would that work? I think its 1/2" taller than the 640. I know it would affect the speedometer but it should help keep the RPM's down a little at speed as well.

Ron

StudeRich
02-16-2015, 02:51 PM
They should work fine and Speedometer driven gears (Pinions) are available for different Tire sizes and Axle Ratios that would speed the Speedo back up. You will probably get 1/2 to 1 MPG better mileage! :)

These are Cokers', and TODAY they get $247.00 ea. for the 6.70X15!

If you attempt a purchase, it says Qty. of 4 NOT available, 4 will be backordered. :confused:

blackhawk61
02-16-2015, 03:27 PM
I could be wrong but I don't believe there is a penalty for radials at an SDC show.

There is at a AACA show

Studebaker Ron
02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks Rich
I am having the engine and trans out this week for a rebuild but once my buddy gets her up and running I am going to get a set of the American Classics. The price is a concern but wide whitewalls start around $800 a set and to me its worth the extra $$188 per set to have the Bias look with the function of a Radial tire. Now its time to find a good body man to paint her and get the bumpers chromed. My old Champion will look and drive better than new and I look forward to taking her on a few trips this year. I like the idea of changing out the speedometer pinion for the 6.70X15's. Can I find this at Studebaker International?

Thanks
Ron

StudeRich
02-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Some old stock is left, I see one for a 4.56 Rear, but you have to consult the Speedometer chart in the '50 Chassis Parts Catalog to see the tooth count, Tire Size, Trans. Type for the correct "guess" of which Part number to order for oversize Tires. Other Studebaker Vendors have more other Part numbers in stock.

You can Google "Studebaker XXXXXX" (Six digit numeric Part Number) once you have the number.
OR Search: http://studebakervendors.com

heath
02-16-2015, 06:45 PM
I Just bought a 55 stude, it has Porter Wall's - found receipt- was bought in 2011 in California--$79.00 for all four--If Anyone would like the Address and Tele # - Call me - (828)779-40-97

StudeRich
02-16-2015, 07:53 PM
The problem with Porta Walls is that with the constant flexing of the sidewall as it rolls, the Radial Tires will have their sidewalls worn through in no time at all, they were made back in day for Bias Ply Tires.

Someone paid more than $5.00 each for them! :ohmy: :D

Studebaker Ron
02-16-2015, 09:22 PM
I got my car the first week of January and it has porta-walls. One of my first to do items is to replace them once the engine is rebuilt. They flex up and bubble. More on the front than rear and they look fake. Just my opinion but if I were not getting new tires soon I would cut them off.

Ron