Vans needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vans needed!

I just read that the USPS needs to replace their fleet of delivery trucks. Now if we could just round up enough Zip Vans, we'd be rich, I tell you, rich!
    peter lee

Gotta find those stamping dies and presses!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Don't laugh. I read somewhere that the USPS tried to get a quote from Studebaker many years after the factory closed.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
        Don't laugh. I read somewhere that the USPS tried to get a quote from Studebaker many years after the factory closed.
        That is the government for you. Years ago the company I worked for made sump pumps and a couple of years after we stopped making them I was asked to respond to a "request for quote" from a government agency. I replied that we were no longer in business to supply pumps. They replied to my letter asking for an explanation as to why we not long supplied the product. Who know a request for a quote may still go out to Studebaker.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

They have to learn how to drive them first .....

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
            They have to learn how to drive them first .....
            Must have broken a reach rod!

I remember years ago, when the contract with Grumman expired to body the AM General chassis at their plant in Montgomery, PA., the local small town dealer, Hulsizer Chevy, ended up with a lot full of bodied but un-decalled delivery vehicles.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
              Their letter for a quote was mailed while Studebaker was in business. It's just that the letter was lost for a few years.

They lost my 1950 Commander taillight and chrome rim last September, and I've given up all hope of ever getting it.

Comment

I just got finished reading that USPS article on my computer.I didn't know those trucks were on modified S-10 chassis.Maybe I'll buy one when they go on auction and put a McKinnon in it! (Trying to keep it Studebaker related,lol.)

Comment

With hybrid drivetrains now available in many brands of automobiles, I think the technology would be well suited for delivery vans. Perhaps a Ford Transit will become available with a hybrid powertrain?
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Well...It would be interesting to see who steps up. Who's willing to suffer the anal exam required to engage in a relationship with an entity bleeding money, sketchy business plan, and a currency with a shaky volatile value. I would be tempted to demand payment in gold rather than freshly printed dollars. Really...I know those are rather bombastic tongue in cheek comments, but, 'cept for the unique "Propped-up" bureaucratic morass...what respectable businessman would chase after an entity perpetually teetering on implosion.

If nothing else, perhaps an escrow, or outright cash advance to ensure money would be available to pay for the vehicles. It is very easy to sit here and hack out negative comments on this computer. To tackle the problem, deal with it daily...no task for timid souls.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Everybody makes mini delivery vans now. I expect the Big 3 plus Nissan will all bid since they all have small panel vans that could easily be made to fit their specs.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

An all electric postal van is being tested.
                        Since most of the gas powered postal vans drive on a few miles a day and alternatively idle and accelerate constantly , they pollute a lot.
                        A Chevy Volt type drive train with batteries charged at the postoffice would be great.They will have a extended range by using the gas engine.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Here's a few, possibly coming to a PO near you:
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                          X