Studebaker vs 1957 Rambler Rebel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker vs 1957 Rambler Rebel

Just became learned about 57 Rambler Rebels, but too young to know how they stacked up against Studebaker`s best of the era. In the real world, at the time, was the Rebel quicker to 60 mph than a Golden Hawk? How about in the 1/4 mile? What car of the two had the longest legs on the highway?
    Was there a Studebaker sedan at the time that could theoretically come close to keeping up with one of these rockets? Was the Rebel really just a short distance sprinter, or a true highway super cruiser? Anyone here have recollections back in the day of the Rambler vs Studebaker? I'm amazed how two 'underdog' car manufacturers were able to produce autos that were capable of making any of the big 3 products look silly at any given time... cheers, Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

0 to 60 in 7.5 sec. And 255 HP. With efi but only two were made that way. The rest had a for barrel.
    Says hooniverse.

Just my opinion but they were somewhat homely looking.

Dean.

Comment

Comment

I'd rather have a Chrysler 300C at twice the price.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

karterfred88,
          Sorry Top Speed the Rebel was not "the fastest production American Car". The Golden Hawk was at 147 mph. The Rebel was way back from that figure. Consider these stats: Rebel weight 3353 Golden Hawk 3185 Rebel Horse Power 255 Golden Hawk 275 So even f you consider the TWO Rebels that were claimed to be fuel injected at 288 HP that 13 HP would not make up for the weight difference in a quarter mile race. As far as top speed was concerned the Rebel became unstable at just over 100 MPH but we know the Golden Hawk did not suffer from that problem. So the AMC crowd can keep their dream but it is not based on reality. Road tests of the Rebel left it lacking compared to road tests of the Golden Hawk. Never got to race a Rebel for a real life example but I imagine it would not have been much of a race. Just my two cents.
          Dan

Comment

The Golden Hawk was at 147 mph.
            Dan, the '57 GH was plenty fast, but by whom and where was a stock example timed at 147 MPH?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I would seriously question a STOCK '57 Golden Hawk hitting 147. Remember, a stock R2 Hawk topped out at 140, and it had the advantage of a high performance cam and 4bbl, things the Golden Hawk lacked.

I am aware of a 1956 Hawk hitting 147 at Bonneville (see attached) but I have no idea what type of modifications it had, though I would assume it had a few!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonneville ad 1950s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1695444
              Last edited by 2R2; 02-12-2015, 02:38 PM. Reason: error
              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Here's the 56 Golden Hawk that ran 146-something at Bonneville. According to the caption, it had a dual quad intake and a hot cam. There was another one that ran over 140 with a 414 stroker motor. I can't see any 56 or 57 Golden Hawk running anywhere near 147 mph in showroom stock condition.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by black56hawk View Post
                  Here's the 56 Golden Hawk that ran 146-something at Bonneville. According to the caption, it had a dual quad intake and a hot cam. There was another one that ran over 140 with a 414 stroker motor. I can't see any 56 or 57 Golden Hawk running anywhere near 147 mph in showroom stock condition.
                  You are correct:"Speed Age magazine of July 1956 tested the Golden Hawk against the Chrysler 300 B, Ford Thunderbird, and Chevrolet Corvette, finding that the Golden Hawk could out perform the others comfortably in both 0-60 mph acceleration and quarter mile times. The fastest 0-60 reported in testing was 7.8 seconds, while top speeds were quoted as 125 mph plus. "
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks, JDP. Even with some credible comment, the Hawk was still impressive for the era.

However, like any gathering around a campfire...these conversations are fun...even with the embellishments. I was waiting for someone to post that the Hawk made the 147mph run in OVERDRIVE...second gear...and getting over thirty mpg! And...Brian Williams was driving!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Thanks, JDP. Even with some credible comment, the Hawk was still impressive for the era.

However, like any gathering around a campfire...these conversations are fun...even with the embellishments. I was waiting for someone to post that the Hawk made the 147mph run in OVERDRIVE...second gear...and getting over thirty mpg! And...Brian Williams was driving!
                      Don't be silly, Brian Williams wasn't born until 1959!
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                        Don't be silly, Brian Williams wasn't born until 1959!
                        Gee...some folks never get it...that's silly.

G'night folks...it's either very late at night or very early in the morning here...I'm gonna bank the fire and go to bed.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I remember when I was in high school back in 1959 one of my classmates brought a 1957 Rambler Rebel to school. It was fuel injected so I assume it must have been one of the two the factory produced. He passed away a few years ago, so I can't question him about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                            karterfred88,
                            Sorry Top Speed the Rebel was not "the fastest production American Car". The Golden Hawk was at 147 mph. The Rebel was way back from that figure. Consider these stats: Rebel weight 3353 Golden Hawk 3185 Rebel Horse Power 255 Golden Hawk 275 So even f you consider the TWO Rebels that were claimed to be fuel injected at 288 HP that 13 HP would not make up for the weight difference in a quarter mile race. As far as top speed was concerned the Rebel became unstable at just over 100 MPH but we know the Golden Hawk did not suffer from that problem. So the AMC crowd can keep their dream but it is not based on reality. Road tests of the Rebel left it lacking compared to road tests of the Golden Hawk. Never got to race a Rebel for a real life example but I imagine it would not have been much of a race. Just my two cents.
                            Dan
                            Probably all true, except a "normally aspirated" Golden Hawk didn't exist, the 275 HP was with blower, the 255 HP Rambler was without. I didn't drive either one--just quoting a reference.

Comment

What prompted my original post was this from Feb. 2015 Car and Driver, pg. 043...

"Original Psycho
                              1957 Rambler Rebel, 255-hp v-8
                              AMC's rowdy four-door hardtop was the first supersedan, and second only to a fuel injected Corvette in acceleration. Fully reclining front seats were a handy option."

This caught my attention as I never considered any '57 Rambler to be high performance, and thought I remembered that a 57 GH could out-run the same year 'Vette. Putting aside the fact that I'm talking about 3 completely different body styles here, I was more interested in the fact that two small independent manufacturers built cars that were in the running for king-of-the-street honours for 1957. I was also seeking first hand experience of what cars actually did rule the streets and highways in 1957 since this was before my time.

So...any recollections what cars actually earned bragging rights in '57? cheers, junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X