Fuel Filler Hose FAILURE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filler Hose FAILURE

Pulled the gas tank off my 53 and was shocked at the rust and corrosion. Had it cleaned and lined two years ago and now gonna have to replace it. That was not my only surprise. The fuel filler hose was replaced new then also. It is cracked to the point I won't reuse it. I am not mentioning vendors or downing anyone. It's just sad that the old hose that came off when I put this one on wasn't cracked like this?????

I am gonna replace the tank and filler hose. There was a short section of steel line I used. I am gonna use all stainless and hose this go around. I will start a tech on the tank and hose used, part numbers and installation pictures soon , I hope.
    Last edited by Flashback; 02-12-2015, 01:19 PM.

For your hose, you might want to try a farm implement store. I went to Fleet Farm and got a hose that was far, far better than the usual fuel line/tube stuff. Good luck

Comment

Sounds like you may have met the ethanol gremlin.

Comment

I hope that you had a good guarantee (like lifetime) on the tank lining.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a Gates hose to use.

Yes I met Ethanol first hand. There won't be any more in my car, unless non-eth gets impossible.

No- no guarantee on the tank. My bad for being stupid.

Comment

You guys who live in rural areas and can get non-ethanol gas are sure lucky. Here in the San Francisco bay area, we have had ONLY ethanol gas for probably 20 years or so. And there are no fleet-farm implement stores that understand obsolete technology cars either.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I am not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but how does one know what gas has ethanol? I would like to avoid this issue if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                I am not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but how does one know what gas has ethanol? I would like to avoid this issue if possible.
                The pump will have a sticker/decal saying something like "The fuel dispensed by this pump may contain up to 10% ethanol".
                Skip Lackie

Comment

IMHO, failure of that hose is not about ethanol, it is about an el cheapo hose that should not be sold to anyone. Failure of that hose could be dangerous. I have replaced several, OEM hoses, but never had a new one fail. Makes me wanna go home and inspect them all, though.

There are plenty of rubber-like materials available that are impervious to ethanol; anything less should not be sold to the public.
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 02-13-2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

It is more likely you will notice HUGE banners out front that announce ethanol-free gasoline than notice the small pump sticker that tells you the gasoline is in fact 10% or 15% ethanol. You will also pay 10-20% more at the pump so it will not be at the "cheap" gas station. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

...how does one know what gas has ethanol? I would like to avoid this issue if possible.
                      Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

lots in MN.

Radio Roy: a quick glance shows one in Redwood City.

this list seems to grow every week or two - showing more gas stations with non-ethanol gas (almost) everywhere.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I recently discovered Minnesota is now one of the few states that has a law saying they DON'T have to tell you the gas has ethanol. I found this out a few months ago when I filled up in southern Minnesota. Even the station manager thought the pumps had to be listed "10% ethanol" until I showed him his pump had no such notice. This is also how I wound up with a tank full of crap gas in Michigan this past September and had to buy an electric pump to get home. Don't you just love the corn lobbey.

Luckily Fleet Farm and several stations in the Twin Cities sell the good gas, which is usually about 60 cents a gallon more.

Comment

It sounds as if you may have been VERY fortunate to find the deteriorated hose when you did!!! There is a lot of junk sold and unfortunately some to specialty vendors and their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                            http://pure-gas.org/

lots in MN.

Radio Roy: a quick glance shows one in Redwood City.

this list seems to grow every week or two - showing more gas stations with non-ethanol gas (almost) everywhere.
                            That is incredible! I never knew that. That station is owned by a friend of a friend, and it's only a mile or two away. I will check it out. Thanks!
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Interesting link here on what an oil company chemist advocates and does for his carbureted '79 Vette. If ya don't want to read the whole article to get to the meat, here it is:

At Andy's Auto Sport, you can find Chevrolet Corvette Parts at a great price. Check out our Corvette Parts today!

1. Use premium
                              2. Use one brand--say Shell--for 5k; switch to (ex) Chevron for 5k then Exxon for 5k. Quality gas brands use proprietary additives that can do their job when used regularly. Switching brands after 5K miles helps you take advantage of the distinct benefits of a given brand's additives.
                              Last edited by drpreposterous; 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X