15" x 7" rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 15" x 7" rims

Has anyone put 7" wide rims on they're GT Hawk. I just got a set of (5) 15" x 7" American Racing slotted aluminum rims. They have been hiding for 30 plus years in a friends garage & if they'll fit I will spend the time needed to polish them up...
    Last edited by Stu Duglee; 02-10-2015, 12:03 PM.

This post has many wheels that fit different Studebakers

The 7" part is OK, but the Backspacing, or offset is what will get you.. any less than 3.5" and you might have issues on the upper suspension, or on the turn.

Comment

Should be fine. I run 15 x 7 with a drum brake set-up on my 63 Hawk. As I don't have power steering, fat tyres are a bit of effort, so I will be replacing the 235's that came with the car to a far more sensible 215.
      Also, if you are considering the Turner disc conversion, you will need 3 and 7/8" backspace to clear the vitals. Cheers.

Comment

Are you putting disc brakes on your Hawk Quentin?

Chris.

Comment

Thanks Gents...The back spacing is 3.5". I have Turner disc' kit on the front so I may have a clearence issue up front.

Comment

I've run 15x7's on my '63 GT since 1968. At present it has 235/70r15 on a 15x7 modular aluminum rim. Just be careful measuring before proceeding. You will probably notice that with the larger wheel and tire, the clearance at the rear wheel well opening may be tighter on one side than the other. If it is an issue, just roll the inner lip inboard with a decent crescent wrench starting at one side and working towards the other. Don't be in a rush-you'll get there.
            Bill

Comment

I ran 7 X 15's on my 53 Starliner. Be careful with back spacing.

Denny L

Comment

I run 7" Crown Victoria wheels and 22570R15 Redlines on my 64 GT Hawk after carefully measuring the wheel wells. Offset of the rim is the key to getting big tires in the wheel wells. With the Crown Victoria rims I could not fit 23570R15 under my car, but sure wanted them! Here a link to the simple jig I made to measure for rims I had and the tires I wanted. Good luck.

Allen

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140904_165051.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1695498
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have 16X8s on my GT hawk with 245-60-16s. I don't remember the offset but they easily clear everything except the right rear is very close and will sometimes rub a little on a hard right turn. The GTs have a drivetrain that is slightly offset to the right side...

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                    I have 16X8s on my GT hawk with 245-60-16s. I don't remember the offset but they easily clear everything except the right rear is very close and will sometimes rub a little on a hard right turn. The GTs have a drivetrain that is slightly offset to the right side...
                    Picture? I'd love to see the stance of your Hawk
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB