63 Lark Interior Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark Interior Questions

Hey guys I have a question, I have a 63 Lark the body and drivetrain are in great shape but in trying to sell it people couldn't get past the interior issues (seats are tore up pretty bad). I was asking 4k for it which I was told on here was a fair price for the condition. Well now I am looking to having the interior redone and at that point will either keep it or try and sell again. I took it to a guy the other day and got a quote of 1200 to completely refurbish the front and rear bench seat in a two color vinyl to closely match existing with pleats and the whole 9 yards (he does show cars and he work is amazing). My question is, is that a good deal first of all but most importantly will I see that return on my investment if I do decide to go ahead and sell it pushing my minimum price to $5200?

Thanks

Drop your price to $3500 before you commit to putting any money in it. You are still money ahead, and it gives the prospective buyer some options.

Comment

If you want to sell it, lower your price and forget spending 25% of its value to make it more sellable. Remember, what we think on here is a fair price, may have nothing to do with what your prospective buyers think its worth. You may not find a buyer either way-save your money for now. Is the Lark an especially desirable one, 2DR HT 4 DR sedan or ??? Lots of pretty nice ones on line for $5000-$8000 already, still sitting looking for a buyer.

Comment

I do not believe that putting $1200 into a non-stock interior will raise the value of the Lark by anywhere near that amount.
        Widen your sales net. Put it on eBay, assuming that you haven't, with a good description, a low starting price and a reserve that you can live with.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Also try Will Sander over to Starlight Studebaker. He has the left over Studebaker and Phantom interior stock. Should be cheaper than a custom interior and would be factory stock.
          I just want to mention that Will is a great person to deal with and he has the items. This is a part time buisness for him and it may take a while for him to get back to you. He and his wife are full time school teachers (God bless them) and as such have limited time for the Studebaker buisness.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Some potential buyers might actually rather see the original interior. it would be a shame to install an interior that the buyer may remove!

Comment

While we're talking '63 interiors, I have two sets of 1963 Y6 trim level door panels - NOS in the boxes. One set ( a "set" being all four panels) is blue, the other set is brown. These are still in their original plastic and boxes. $300 for each set + the shipping costs of your choice. The Y6 trim door panels have more glitz to them than the Y9 do. They could liven up the interior of any Y-bodied car.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. 57pack I have tried to get with Will for over a year and a half now, he called me once and said he would get back with me on my request and I never heard from him again after many calls and emails. That is why I went the custom route. I would rather leave it stock and let someone else pick the interior if we decide to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                  If you want to sell it, lower your price and forget spending 25% of its value to make it more sellable. Remember, what we think on here is a fair price, may have nothing to do with what your prospective buyers think its worth. You may not find a buyer either way-save your money for now. Is the Lark an especially desirable one, 2DR HT 4 DR sedan or ??? Lots of pretty nice ones on line for $5000-$8000 already, still sitting looking for a buyer.
                  It's a 4 door regal, straight 6 without OD. So not highly desirable I don't think. Bought it for my wife to drive because she loves the way it looks but she is too afraid to drive an older vehicle I later found out. Seems a shame to just sit here at my place and not get driven much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ensane13 View Post
                    Thanks for the info guys. 57pack I have tried to get with Will for over a year and a half now, he called me once and said he would get back with me on my request and I never heard from him again after many calls and emails. That is why I went the custom route. I would rather leave it stock and let someone else pick the interior if we decide to sell it.
                    Didn't know you had tried Will. Thought I'd put that option out there for you.
                    Maybe he'll see your post and get in touch.
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by Ensane13 View Post
                      I have tried to get with Will for over a year and a half now, he called me once and said he would get back with me on my request and I never heard from him again after many calls and emails.
                      He must be working on something else, as I have had the same experience. Really would like to go stock with our 61 but sadly no responses.

Comment

Unfortunately, $4K is almost double what the market is for that particular car, even assuming rust-free body and running well. I would guess that the time and money required to do the interior would put you further in the hole, as Gary said. Also recommend doing eBay as Gary said.

I love and became involved with Studebakers in large part because they are old cars that are both fun and cheap to buy. Sadly, that low value also applies at sale time. Good luck.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Will also add, I am another person that spent two full years contacting Starlight Studebaker and waiting to hear back from them with no response. I finally gave up on the project. Not casting aspersions, simply relating the facts of my own experience.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I will relist it as-is and see if I get any bites.

Comment

Working...
                            X