61 Lark Cruiser front shock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Lark Cruiser front shock question

Hi all, got a question for the collective geniuses here. My son and I are working on a 61 Lark Cruiser V8 and bought replacement front shocks from Studebaker Intl, but they aren't quite right. All the internet options show one replacement front shock for all of the Larks around that time, but the ones we purchased have two problems: the lower attachment brackets are about 3/16 too narrow in the long dimension, such that the bolt/thread does not completely capture the bracker. The slots for the bolts were just a tiny bit narrow, but a grinder took care of that. Once we saw that they really don't attach well at the bottom, we realized the top mounting threads are completely different as well.

So, did the Cruiser have heavier shocks (and are they obtainable)? Or is this common, these are the only replacements still made and we have to make do?

Thanks for the insights!

My guess is they sold you shocks for a 70's camaro which are suppose to work but have the issues that you have found. If you payed more than about $20.00 each for them I would call and do some a** chewing as that is about the going rate for camaro shocks.

Comment

Cruisers did not use a different front shock absorber than any other Larks.

What is different about the top mounting bolts?

The lower bracket issue might be taken care of by placing large, heavy washers under the bolt heads so they would capture enough of the bracket's "forks," but that won't do you any good if the top mounts aren't right.

If the top mounts are truly different from what was on the car, the shocks may have been packaged wrong, and are for another application. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Are they the correct Gabriel Classic Gas, part number 82087? There will be a problem returning them, now that you have modified them.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X