No announcement yet.

Chunks of rubber in my springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Chunks of rubber in my springs?

I was checking the shocks in the Hawk this morning and notices a largish u-shaped piece of rubber inside one of the springs, I checked the other side and there is one there as well. I can't figure out there they came from. I did put in a larger stabilizer bar some time ago but don't think the bushings fell into the springs. Any ideas as to where these came from or if I need to remove them would be appreciated.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

If these "Chunks" were half the circumference of the Coil Springs, they are the Insulators that are SUPPOSED to be on the bottom and top of the spring. If you ever released the springs from the frame or "A" Arm working on the car, they could have slid out.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, they are not full circles. They appear to be about 2 inches thick and u-shaped with groves in them. Don't think they are spring insulators as I have not removed the springs, just replaced the shocks some time ago.
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

Sounds like the old "spring helpers" you used to be able to buy to help correct spring sag. Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Lamar View Post
          Sounds like the old "spring helpers" you used to be able to buy to help correct spring sag. Lamar
          There you GO! Those temporary fix "Coil Boosters" came out all the time. This probably indicates the need for New Springs.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have never heard of the "coil boosters" but as long as they are not part of the original suspension I can deal with that. Thanks Lamar and Rich. I will check the springs and replace if needed.
            Don Watson
            61 Hawk

Comment

Mr. Gasket manufactures all kinds of automotive gaskets, plus a huge number of performance and dress up parts, and CARiD.com has all of them in stock.

Comment

Wow, looks like I nailed the Title of those little buggers!
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I changed the left king pin on my Lark I found a large, irregularly shaped, chunk of rubber inside the spring. It turns out that is was part of the wedge shaped upper bump stop rubber that mounts on top of the frame under the upper a-arm. I identified it by the slot along one edge. When I checked the other side I found it totally missing. I found a single spare among my parts but as both sides need to be replaced I have ordered 2 new ones.

Comment

Yep, Barney had a couple of those in each front coil when I got him. Didn't help

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X