CK Brake Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: CK Brake Lines

I tried to order brake lines today from a big tube company and they told me they did not have a pattern for a 53 Studebaker. He did not think anyone was doing those cars. ???? (He probably has a 57 Chevy) The last time I bought them I had to rework them a bunch as they came for a hill holder with a single master cylinder and I had Turner brakes and no hill holder. I suppose I could make them myself, but is there a source for 53 brake lines?
    Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

They are easy to make. I usually have to do several practice double flares as it seems like there are variations in tubing malleability, or maybe I just forget how it's done.

Comment

I purchased a set of steel brake lines with fittings via e-bay. I am very happy with the product. Each line is labelled, with diagrams in the kit. $39.96US. E-Bay store is fordoldtimeparts, but I discovered them via a "Studebaker Brake Line" search in "parts and accessories". There are 10 or so kits available for various Stude models.
      Metal brake lines for a Packard or Studebaker from 1941 1946 1947 1948 - 1964

• $54.97
      • Buy It Now

• From United States

Brake line kit Packard

Comment

WOW... That is good to know. When I did my 1953, I learned to make all my lines a little long, as I had to "double flare" a few of them more than once...'taint as easy as it looks. (The line kept sliding in my holder). That $50 sounds quite cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
          WOW... That is good to know. When I did my 1953, I learned to make all my lines a little long, as I had to "double flare" a few of them more than once...'taint as easy as it looks. (The line kept sliding in my holder). That $50 sounds quite cheap.
          If that happens just put the holder in your shop vise to exert more clamping force. That means the clamping blocks are either slightly bowed or a cheap set. Also taper the end of the tubing prior to flaring and add a drop of lube to the area. Than most significantly, put the fitting on the tube before flaring.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            most significantly, put the fitting on the tube before flaring.

Bob
            lol, lol, we can probably all relate to that, more than 1 time too...doh I hate when that happens. cheers, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I purchased a set of steel brake lines with fittings via e-bay.

When I ordered one of those sets, there was no place to indicate that it had a power booster. One of the lines was too short. So I had to go out and buy some extra line anyway.

Paul
              I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

I can't comment on that, as I don't have a booster. However, the e-bay site in question (and in fact most e-bay sites) does have space to ask such questions before purchase- and if paying via pay pal these issues can also be addressed with the vendor via "message".

Comment

I buy 20 foot rolls with fittings for about $20 on ebay.

BTW, why do all replacement brake lines come with one extra long fitting? It looks so out of place, and I've never seen it used on original lines.

Comment

I bought a flaring tool from Eastwood. Not cheap but it works so good one can be practically brain dead & still do it successfully.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                    X