Front Body Mount Nut used 1948 Champion Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Body Mount Nut used 1948 Champion Convertible

What kind of nut goes in the front body mount bolt used to secure the batwing to the body mount? I have only a rusted mess and can't make heads or tails of it. Wanted to get the front of the sills finished up but it looks like the whatever goes in the body mount isn't accessible once the front of the sills are welded to the body.
    Attached Files

Sorry Olskool, I didn't see your earlier response and question about the tranny crossmember nut.

My '51 has a bolt going up through the crossmember, body spacers, and body, with a nut hidden inside. The nut is accessible through a hole which has been filled with a plug. The plug is towards the tire, but tarred over a bit to prevent future rust.

The man who repaired and fabricated all my body reinforcements had done at least 3 other post-war convertibles, so he probably copied what worked on some of the less rusted prior convertibles.

Comment

No problem. I thought I would start a new thread to figure this out, Just want to get the fronts of the sills finished. This is what's left of the left side, nothing from the right. It looks like it was a piece of plate steel possible threaded, not sure. I may go that route.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are a couple of better pictures. First from the side, Second from the bottom showing both bolt and plug. I retract the statement about it being tarred over. Probably should be, especially if you choose to stay up north. Very little salt used here in the Ozarks so am not too concerned.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X